• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Stani's Turbo Micra

Antony

Ex. Club Member
or you could get about 5 mins of running untill the bottom end seizes.

you need to match the block and crank with the correct shells. even 0.005mm out could cost you an engine.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
tonight i built the bottom end, heres a couple of pics:

2973667202a9657908066o.jpg

2973667202a9657907946o.jpg

2973667202a9657907828o.jpg

engine is coming out tomorrow night, ill finish building the engine on friday night and then fit it on the saturday :)

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
thursday night i took the engine out, and today i got up early and made a start, finished building the engine at about 1 o'clock

2973667202a9678762281o.jpg

2973667202a9678762352o.jpg

used my engine hoist to put it in :p

2973667202a9678762425o.jpg

2973667202a9678762496o.jpg

got it all mounted and wired up etc, then it started first turn and then went straight off so i adjusted the fuel regulator down to standard pressure and tried again, and then it was just turning and turning, so i turned it down to about 1.5 bar and then it eventually started! i then fitted all the i/c pipes cleaned up and took it away home, there was no power at all and anytime you put the foot down more than half way it would pop and bang, i then took off the fuel regulator and fitted the standard one which didnt work at all, had to refit the fuel regulator and keep it running at under 1.5 bar of fuel, so i changed the fuel rail and it started fine just sounded like it was underfuelling which it was cause i turned it to 3 bar and it was perfect, then started it later and it wouldnt turn over, seemed like a bad earth and there was smoke coming from the bonnet, i couldnt see where from so i put my head in the engine bay and reached in and turned the key and it was the oil feed line touching an earth point, i moved it away from it and the car started fine...and then oil was going everywhere cause it put a hole in the feed line, car cant move at all until i get a replacment im gutted!! :(

Scouse boy

Buy & Sell Member
well done mate, putting loads of effort in!!
shame about the oil feed but you will get there in the end. keep up the good work mate!!

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
I don't see how an oil feed line touching an earthing point would cause a hole in the line???

What size is the turbo?

neither do i but thats what happened, there was alot of white smoke and the turbo is a T04E (3" in and 2.5" out)

well done mate, putting loads of effort in!!
shame about the oil feed but you will get there in the end. keep up the good work mate!!

cheers, there might be a chance of getting one tonight :p just have to wait and see :D

turbo looks massive :O, my starlet one was tinnnnnnnnnny

yeh ive seen a starlet one and they are so small compared to this one :p

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
What about a remap/fueling before it goes bang again?

it never went bang before, it had an oil leak on the last engine which i never bothered to fix and it started knocking when i never realised there was no oil, im running it in at the moment so the fuelling is normal, once im happy with the engine i will book it in

also got my front grill from kristain so will get it fitted and put pics up later tonight

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
You don't want it to overfuel though, or run dangerously lean higher up the rev range surely? Worthwhile getting it mapped!

Btw, how much is your insurance and who with? I was quoted £700 a few months back with Sky Insurance for a 1.3 turbo conversion.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
You don't want it to overfuel though, or run dangerously lean higher up the rev range surely? Worthwhile getting it mapped!

Btw, how much is your insurance and who with? I was quoted £700 a few months back with Sky Insurance for a 1.3 turbo conversion.

its £1700 with adrian flux with 6 points and been driving for a year, would be hell of alot cheaper with no points and more driving experience :p and im not overfuelling the car as its sitting at normal

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
get it maped mate or it will go bang
your ecu is maped for a 1.3 n/a factory spec
your car is noway near standard
when ed was showing me the diffrent maps at JAE the main thing i noticed is that n/a fueling is a slow increace with rpm were turbo has a drastic increace in fuel
so your right that your car is not overfueling
its probley running really lean when the turbo kicks in

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
but its not asif im booting the crap out of the car, im taking it slow so there should be no difference, the way im driving it is slower than a 1.0l standard at its quickest so the fuelling will be fine in my opinion

Antony

Ex. Club Member
as long as the boost doesnt creep past 4psi you will be perfectly fine, if you wanna play it safe, unplug the lambda and run octane booster till you can get it mapped.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
new front grill i recieved from kristian, mesh had fallen off and one of the bits that go under the light had cracked at the back so it doesnt sit right (stupid royal mail) but me to the rescue soon had it fixed lol here are pics :)

2973667202a9704432592o.jpg

2973667202a9704432666o.jpg

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
Leave the wastegat open (disconnect arm from flapper), it will run no boost at all. Running it at 4 psi will be o.k ish but remeber the ecu looks for 14.7 ish at the most it goes to 12:1 at the really rich areas but thats on n/a and reallt at the top end of the range. so what your gonna be having at los boost low down is 15.5:1 or worse depending on the boost as the car is adjusting for n/a.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
They look good :)

Did you run new wires for the HIDs? I didn't think they would pass an MOT in the K11 due to the style on headlights (non-projector) and also have a tendancy to melt the standard wiring!

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
They look good :)

Did you run new wires for the HIDs? I didn't think they would pass an MOT in the K11 due to the style on headlights (non-projector) and also have a tendancy to melt the standard wiring!

Standard bulbs have a tendancy to melt the wiring and plugs!!!

I got HIDs on the P11, they make an amazing difference!!!

Hids look good on the K11, bet they make a good difference!!!

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
i didnt run new wires no and yeh they do look amazing compared to normal dull bulbs, need to change the bulbs in my fogs now

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
ok so ive now decided to not put my car through an MOT and therefore looking for the next one, i have also decided not to go through the taking engines out etc

2973667202a8781047308o.jpg

2973667202a8844882732o.jpg

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
ah ok cheers for that, ive found a couple of cars that i like so should buy one within the next 2 weeks, there all pre-facelifts once again cant wait im excited :D

surely works agaist you though? Even though it was small, it held 1 bar of boost fine upto redline, spooled like crazy and delievered over 200bhp! consider downsizing.

i am considering to downsize the size of turbo but i do need lots of money to maybe waste, because if i buy a smaller turbo i need a manifold to suit and also my custom exhaust may not fit and then im stuck again, unless i get another downpipe made up but it wont be cheap :down:

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
thats true and you need to be running moar boost.

ill see how this new one turns out but on standard internals/compression i wouldnt want to go anymore than 1bar boost and 0.5 seems plenty, it was when it was running it on 1bar i realised how crap a clutch i had :p and had to get a better one

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
honestly antony i dont know, they are definatly not flush with the block as i have pictures and have seen it myself, they are 71.2mm and about 1-2mm short of the block, whatever that compression works out i dont know,

That could explain why you kept blowing gaskets out. If those pistons were 2mm below the deck they would work out to give pretty much stock compression coincidentally. Anything less would work out at above stock compression, which is not the best solution for a forced induction setup.

It would be handy to take dimensions, so that any perspective purchaser knows exactly what they are getting.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
That could explain why you kept blowing gaskets out. If those pistons were 2mm below the deck they would work out to give pretty much stock compression coincidentally. Anything less would work out at above stock compression, which is not the best solution for a forced induction setup.

It would be handy to take dimensions, so that any perspective purchaser knows exactly what they are getting.

i wasnt blowing head gaskets with the forged pistons in, i was only blowing them because my fan was not working therefore the car was overheating and popping them :p i dont not realise this till the third one lol

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I have to say really does sound like you were doing all this in the dark, and making huge short cuts. Oh once you are driving at a normal road speeds you rarely need the fan. The fan just does what it needs to do in traffic etc.

The fact you blew three says to me something pretty big must have been wrong.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
I have to say really does sound like you were doing all this in the dark, and making huge short cuts. Oh once you are driving at a normal road speeds you rarely need the fan. The fan just does what it needs to do in traffic etc.

The fact you blew three says to me something pretty big must have been wrong.

Nope definatly had plenty lights on and with no shortcuts, otherwise it wouldnt have worked at all. the fan didnt come on at all.

So are you saying if i drove for whatever amount of miles the car would never overheat without the use of a fan?? why would it be there then!

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Wtf this thread is a joke,I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about engines but I rebuilt my engine two years ago and its still going strong.It would be great if you stop posting all this bull and took the car to someone that will do it properly,for example Ed. . .You can't just shake off comments made by him as He has proved he knows what he's doing and I've watched him at work.

Instead of buying all the wrong parts why don't you spend money on getting it setup properly and use the parts you have too their full potential.

How the hell somebody blows 3 headgaskets because the "fan" did'nt kick in I don't know. . .because there was'nt a qualifyed mechanic or technically minded competent person in sightgrr

Absolute Horse #### this thread is. . .tryed to keep myself from posting but could'nt, and Stani feel free to make more sly posts in my threads but it won't get you places on this site !

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Nope definatly had plenty lights on and with no shortcuts, otherwise it wouldnt have worked at all. the fan didnt come on at all.

So are you saying if i drove for whatever amount of miles the car would never overheat without the use of a fan?? why would it be there then!

The fan does nothing over 20-30 mph driving speeds, it is there the allow the air to flow when the engine is stationary to stop it over heating.

If you drove continuously with the fan not working the car would easily keep itself cool, if it was set up properly!!

I'd say the head gasget going is more to do with the fact that the engine is running on a standard engine map and is probably running extremly lean on boost. You need a good map to make this a reliable car!!

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member

Air flow as you are driving cools it, mine very rarely comes on, only in traffic as ed said, thats what it is there for.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Wtf this thread is a joke,I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about engines but I rebuilt my engine two years ago and its still going strong.It would be great if you stop posting all this bull and took the car to someone that will do it properly,for example Ed. . .You can't just shake off comments made by him as He has proved he knows what he's doing and I've watched him at work.

Instead of buying all the wrong parts why don't you spend money on getting it setup properly and use the parts you have too their full potential.

How the hell somebody blows 3 headgaskets because the "fan" did'nt kick in I don't know. . .because there was'nt a qualifyed mechanic or technically minded competent person in sightgrr

Absolute Horse #### this thread is. . .tryed to keep myself from posting but could'nt, and Stani feel free to make more sly posts in my threads but it won't get you places on this site !

ed is much older than me, hes bound to know more than me, not that i care once again, nobodys perfect not even him or you or me and id rather be able to say look what ive done myself, other than look what i gave (for example) £2000 to a guy to do for me, i dont really care what people think as you should know by now :devil:

Baz

Ex. Club Member
ed is much older than me, hes bound to know more than me, not that i care once again, nobodys perfect not even him or you or me and id rather be able to say look what ive done myself, other than look what i gave (for example) £2000 to a guy to do for me, i dont really care what people think as you should know by now :devil:

Its fair Enough if you can build something yourself and its done right and works the way it should but its clear to me that you don't. . .you put a blog up and your not prepared to listen to advice givenfwn Good man

Most of the people praising you on this thread is because you've a turbo on your car does'nt mean its done right because you can stick a load of engine pics and people reply saying cool

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
its £1700 with adrian flux with 6 points and been driving for a year, would be hell of alot cheaper with no points and more driving experience :p and im not overfuelling the car as its sitting at normal

How do you still have a licence if you have 6 points and been driving for only a year?

You should have received a ban if you clock up 6 points within your first 2 years of driving.

The Road Traffic (New Drivers) Act 1995 applies to every motorist who passed their test after the 1 June 1997. The main effect is that for the first 2 years of driving after passing a test, a newly qualified driver is placed on a probation period during which time their licence will be revoked by the accumulation of 6 or more penalty points.