• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Stani's Turbo Micra

Stani1029

Club Member
So its time for me to start a blog on my latest car N307MCU...

this is how i first got it

74496122a7868261609o.jpg

74496122a7868261862o.jpg

74496122a8920156225o.jpg

74496122a8920179701o.jpg

and then the fun begins

2973667202a8769526464o.jpg

2973667202a8781047308o.jpg

2nd day of owning the car engine was out and turbo one fitted

2973667202a9427024268o.jpg

had a few running problems :p so out it came

2973667202a9427024413o.jpg

2973667202a9427024356o.jpg

a night building the new engine, new clutch aswell and a bit of painting

2973667202a9427024459o.jpg

2973667202a9011675576o.jpg

2973667202a9018097418o.jpg

2973667202a9427024521o.jpg

got excited about fitting this i done it the next night

2973667202a9081986093o.jpg

and the usual it didnt start, piston rings werent sealing!! so out it came

2973667202a9427093670o.jpg

and i fitted standard internals for the meantime and it started no problem

2973667202a9427093734o.jpg

had to put the fan onto a switch as it wasnt coming on when it was supposed to hence all the blow gaskets etc. started off with getting the interior up to scratch, seat covers and mats etc and get rid of the red colour dash bits and put it back to standard, fitted my own cd player and a fire extinguisher for any sudden fires :p fitted boost gauge, turbo timer, facelift lights(didnt like the tinted ones), bonnet pins (cause the bonnet doesnt stay shut), de-stickered the whole car as some was already done, fitted my tinted windows on the back, modified the rear wiper (thanks to glen), fitted wind deflectors, bought some sexy dials of nex (kmh ones), bought new wheels and fitted yokohama tyres and heres some pics as it sits outside my door...

2973667202a9347944300o.jpg

2973667202a9409960298o.jpg

2973667202a9427227913o.jpg

2973667202a9427227960o.jpg

2973667202a9427228003o.jpg

2973667202a9427228053o.jpg

still to fit pulsar calipers discs and pads, a new front grill when i get it from kristian :D also away to buy full bilstein damper kit 50mm lowering springs and a whiteline panhard rod once i find my bank card :( and thats it until after christmas sadly!

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
so did you buy this off ebay and do it up or was it you who put it on ebay and decided to keep it???

i put it on ebay cause it was really ####ing me off when it was blowing head gaskets like after 10 minutes but then nobody had bid and i thought im keeping it and fixed it

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
nice one stanni lad i love it you need to get a vid up of it running so we can see how the turbo works keep it up stanni

Scouse boy

Buy & Sell Member
Well done mate, think your car is pretty awesome. I can only hope of doing that to my car...... keep up the good work lad!!!

:k11motors

frank

Club Member
stani

it looks awesome :cool:
if they were high comp pistons, no wonder you were blowing gaskets :eek: , and were the bores glazebusted, to ensure ringseal ?

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
stani

it looks awesome :cool:
if they were high comp pistons, no wonder you were blowing gaskets :eek: , and were the bores glazebusted, to ensure ringseal ?

i was blowing the gaskets cause the fan wasnt coming on and it was overheating and i wasnt realising it, not to worry cause its working fine eventhough the forged pistons are lying about doing nothing which is a waste :p and yeh ive had it bored out to suit the pistons, first time i fitted them the rings were sealing perfect its just that i had bent valves and thought it was something else!

jdmk11mike

Ex. Club Member
was it jeem who did the work????

i think we were chatting about this car, you have high comp pistons but used a standard head gasket or summit??? personally a cometic one would be my 1st choice or if you cant afford that just use 2 standard head gaskets usually does the job!!! like frank said did you get the cylinders glazed???

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Looking impressive. Good stuff. What engine management you running?

ive got a standard ecu lol no piggys or nothing, im not planning on getting a remap until im totally happy with the full setup im running :)

was it jeem who did the work????

i think we were chatting about this car, you have high comp pistons but used a standard head gasket or summit??? personally a cometic one would be my 1st choice or if you cant afford that just use 2 standard head gaskets usually does the job!!! like frank said did you get the cylinders glazed???

yeh it was jeem but he ripped me off and completely bodged it and i had to re-do it all!! and since when did i have high comp pistons?? i compression tested it and all the bores come up 9 which is what i was aiming for...i dont speak to him so he doesnt know what i have so dont listen to him :D

frank

Club Member
stani

in the pic, they look like flat top, flush with the block jobbies, with valve cut-outs, which would give a c/r of about 11:1 :eek:

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
really intrested to see what bhp this is making on the dyno...glad to see another turbo k11 up and running :) hands up to you for awsome work.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
stani

in the pic, they look like flat top, flush with the block jobbies, with valve cut-outs, which would give a c/r of about 11:1 :eek:

well it comes out as 9:1 and my ones dont come flush with the block, and not forgetting they are about 0.2mm larger in diameter to the standard ones.

really intrested to see what bhp this is making on the dyno

yeh me too mate, like i say ill wait till i have no more to do then go for it, i would like 200-230bhp and then i can move on :p

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
wow that is a very impressive setup, i am amazed you can get the bonnet closed with all that in there,

those dials are looking nice too any problems with them?

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
wow that is a very impressive setup, i am amazed you can get the bonnet closed with all that in there,

those dials are looking nice too any problems with them?

cheers mate and ofcourse the dials are perfect very happy with them :blush:

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
yeh l66 ban was my mate lee bannister, i got the car off him and once i got all the docs through got the original plates put back on it

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
stani

Agreed - where did you get those pistons from?

Also, how can it run on the stock ECU?

NeX

Club Member
they were from matt humphris, and why wouldnt it be able to run on a stock ecu? has nobody done that before? :laugh:

i don't think you can remap the stock ecu very easily without alot of modification, unless you are using some kind of piggyback board to intercept the signals. if you run it on a stock map on a stock ecu it will run very very lean and you will blow your gasket. the fuel also acts as a coolent, if you don't have enough fuel you will be welding piston rings and things lol

Ian

Ex. Club Member
the starlet boys use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. As the boost increases, so does the fuel. Crude, but safe!

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
and i use a power boost valve, when i have it on it overfuels stupid! but thats sitting at 6 bar rather than the standard 2.5 :p

NeX

Club Member
the starlet boys use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. As the boost increases, so does the fuel. Crude, but safe!

but that cant work, the injectors are built to inject exactly the right amount of fuel according to the ECUs calculations regarless of pressure, as long as there is enough pressure to stop the injectors running dry they should always put out the same amount.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
i have ga16 injectors and an uprated fuel pump so it doesnt run lean at all, has anyone ever had any problems with running a stock ecu on a turbo setup??

Baz

Ex. Club Member
done a compression test, i dont know what compression ratio the pistons are but in my engine they come out 9:1

How does a compression test give you the compression Ratio?

Nice car btw

but that cant work, the injectors are built to inject exactly the right amount of fuel according to the ECUs calculations regarless of pressure, as long as there is enough pressure to stop the injectors running dry they should always put out the same amount.

Wrong. . .If you have a higher pressure in the fuel rail the injector will injector more petrol at the same voltage

and i use a power boost valve, when i have it on it overfuels stupid! but thats sitting at 6 bar rather than the standard 2.5 :p

6 Bar!!!! I run 3bar on the ST and 1.2bar boost,you would wana get that car setup because no offense you don't seem to know much

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
they were from matt humphris, and why wouldnt it be able to run on a stock ecu? has nobody done that before? :laugh:

And they're turbo specific? Also - as has been stated before - the ECU is in closed loop so much of the time that it cancels out most of the gains of an adjustable regulator.

What is the longest period tht this car has been on the road since tubrbo-ig it?

Craig

Antony

Ex. Club Member
its been up crail a few times... you tube..lol

the jap guys (even hks) run the stock...well everything with 4.5psi boost..

its only when it gets nearer 7 psi they start with the mapping and injectors etc..

even ed said it would be safe running 4.psi on standard engine.. i mean.. you get more of a pressure difference driving up in the lake district...

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
done a compression test, i dont know what compression ratio the pistons are but in my engine they come out 9:1

thants not how you work out compression...

http://home.clara.net/bob.kellock/Page2/Page2.htmlhttp://home.clara.net/bob.kellock/Page2/Page2.html

and have a look here will tell you what a compression test is.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/comp.htm

if he is only running about 4 psi he should be fine with what he is may not be making max power and will most likely be runnining very well. Best bet is get Ed to rempa the stock ecu as thats the cheapest option.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
2 and a half months and it come off the road cause i thrashed it all day up crail and melted a piston, this one has been over a month now and with no problems, i only run it at 0.5 boost

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Fair enough then, if it works well and you're happy with it then good luck to you - any idea what kind of power you were putting out?

NeX

Club Member
Wrong. . .If you have a higher pressure in the fuel rail the injector will injector more petrol at the same voltage

ah yea, my mistake i was thinking of something else.

and surly the voltage is the same its the duration?

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
2 and a half months and it come off the road cause i thrashed it all day up crail and melted a piston, this one has been over a month now and with no problems, i only run it at 0.5 boost

0.5 bar os 7.5 psi mate I would lower to 0.3 to be safe as you have no management and the stock map sensor will be going almost off the scale.

Hello mate. Well done on the car. Where is the oil feed coming from off the block? Was there already a take off for it or did you have to tap into the block?

Ivan

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Hello mate. Well done on the car. Where is the oil feed coming from off the block? Was there already a take off for it or did you have to tap into the block?

Ivan

if you look at your block theres a little alan key plug, take that out then the oil feed line adaptor screws straight in

oh and do you have any pics of the inlet manifold where you tapped it for the vaccum line?
thanks

umm i dont have any pics but i could take some, what do you need to know??

new brakes to be fitted tomorrow

2973667202a9478525687o.jpg

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
well ive had no problems with the turbo not getting oil so im keeping it the way it is...where else would i get oil from??