Standard Cat

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
While me n stani were sorting the exhaust, noticed i had the standard cat still on...didnt even know.
Now...getting the janspeed cat, will that give me the best performance from the system,
Or...
I can make a straight pipe in the work to replace the cat coz i heard (on here i think) that even with the janspeed cat, the car still wont pass MOT so might aswell save a bit of money.

So if theres a good chance the car will pass MOT with the janspeed cat then i'll buy it...but if theres not then i'll mke my own.

Any Advice?

Cheers(Y)

redrocket, what ive gathered i reckon with the janspeed cat is ok with the rest of the exhaust. im looking to change to 4 branch - janspeed cat and janspeed backbox, also there is a janspeed exhaust kit with the middle pipe that looks like a cherry bomb that by passes the cat that fits straigt to the down pipe.. i was also told that the janspeed cat will pass the mot. reality id like to chop off all the cats and be done with, well have the janspeed cat just to show theres something there even thou its a stright thru pipe modded ,,,,,,

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Yeah mate, i think im gonna go for the janspeed cat aswell...to save the bother of changing it all over come MOT time.

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Right...decat then.

Nah mate cheers for the offer but id rather get a brand new one and do it right. Cheers though.

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Like i said, i can make a pipe to fit no problem but i cant be arsed changing it when my MOT is due. But in the rallynuts one it says its MOT legal...seems like the best option to me.

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
janspeed DE - cat will fail your MOT as it is a DE cat...

the janspeed sports / race cat costs a lot more than that, get a standard 96 - 00 2nd cat and you might be able to pass with that on...

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Actually while we're here, when we were fixing the exhaust because it stuck out too much we found that for some reason mines is longer than stanis. Knocked it back as far as it could go but still wasnt as far back as his. Is this because of the standard cat?

frank

Club Member
Like i said, i can make a pipe to fit no problem but i cant be arsed changing it when my MOT is due. But in the rallynuts one it says its MOT legal...seems like the best option to me.

did you read the proviso underneath tho :eek:
"please note this is a de-cat pipe and on cars registered after 1993 your car must have a Catalyst to pass the MOT."

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
no, the janspeed de cat is the same size as the standard cat mate,

you back box, is it a janspeed one?

Edit: frank is right dude,

Cats were made mandotory after "93 so you will need a cat of sorts that works as you will fial on emmisions :(

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Right, right, right so all the creases are ironed out. System is full janspeed manifold and everything, just with standard cat. So basically i need to spend alot of money buying a janspeed sports cat to pass MOT...or just #### it and #### everyone off with a pipe:D

So any ideas on why the system is so f*ckin long?

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
if you do the pipe it is a defo fail, but if you arent bothered with swapping it round, go for it! just hope you dont get a road side emisions test :( or fork out for the sport cat.

i can only think that somewhere along the line you have a wrong gasket, or parts arent quite pushed on right, but if you have wacked it all together i cant imagine what it would be, the standard cat and janspeed cat are the same size mate,