Standard Battery

K10

Ex. Club Member
Hi Folks,

My battery was flat a couple of evenings ago. I had to go to work in my other car and put the battery on charge. I had only fired up the car once to clean the carb in the last 5 days, so that will be why it was flat i presume, either that or the battery is coming to the end of its life.

If the battery does get worse, can you replace the fluid (it is not a sealed battery, it looks like an original panasonic battery on the car with removable plugs to top it up- the fluid level is fine by the way) or will i have to fork out for a new battery?

many thanks in advance,

Dan :k10:

I think if the battery is on its way out, the normal thing to do is to replace the whole thing. It happens to all cars eventually!

If you havent allready bought your new battery, hang fire because your battery may be fine and you may have a charging system fault...heres what to do.

After you have charged your old battery, measure the terminal voltage with a voltmeter (with the battery still out of the car). it should be arount 12.5 V
-If the vlotage is less than around 11.5 V then suspect the BATTERY-treat yourself to a new battery

Once the battery is hooked up in the car, have another check of the terminal voltage it should still be still around 12.5V
-If the vlotage is less than around 11.5 V then suspect the BATTERY and possibly an electrical fault on the car that could be draining over a few days while parked -treat yourself to a new battery. debugging a wiring fault is another story

start the engine, have another check of the terminal voltage it should have risen to around 14.5V
-If the voltage is bouncing between 12.5V & 14.5V intermittently or if the terminal voltage has only risen slightly or even not at all, suspect the CHARGING SYSTEM-dont get a new batery just yet

There is always a slim chance thatyou have a fault with the battery and the charging system, so dont be baffled if you get some wierd test results

Good luck

many thanks guys :grinning:

the battery seems fine, i checked the voltage last week after a trickle, and it pumped out 13.4 volts so it aint dead just yet, it will be from lack of use.

sammo- yep it seems to be OK the charging system (not that i've voltage checked it just yet) but I did notice when under the bonnet that I have what looks like a small earth wire snapped off the alternator :doh:

I'll try and post a pic when I get time- would anyone be willing to check where this wire connects to their car for me?

Thanks again :grinning:

Charge the battery on a normal car battery charger for 24 hours. This should help to a certain extent equalise the cells. Chances are the battery grids are breaking up due to age so to be honest I wouldnt hold out too much hope. However this charge will help de-sulphate the cells to a certain extent. On a K10 a good battery should hold enough charge for several weeks not only a few days.

Cheers ed, ta for the info :)

I'll try and get a pic of that loose wire soon too, think it could be a casing earth to get rid of static build up to deck.

Back