Standard 13" & 14" steels...

Sort of Micra related. Need to know the ET of the standard steel wheels.

Missus had 4 bald tyres & money is tight right now so as a stop gap we did a 3-way wheel swap.

Missus' Clio alloys off & on my written off Micra. The 13s with brand new tyres off that onto my ne GX, and the 14s off that with decent tyres on to the Clio... Whoo, busy day!

Anyway, the steels don't clear the calipers on the Clio so it's going nowhere for the time being. Need to put spacers on front 2 wheels but unsure what size I need as can not find any mark relating to ET on the wheels. The Clio ones where ET43... Im guessing 10mm spacers for some reason?

OP
OP
odd_ball
Hmmmm, thought this would be a simple case of matching ET, but clearly it isn't as wheels are different widths?...

As I said, I'm guessing 10mm spacer but I want to know for sure, would rather put a thinner one on if I can

Soooo, to pick you're brains Frank, what spacer do I need to make a 5J wheel with ET45 fit where previously there was a 6J wheel with ET43?

Can't for life of me work it out!?

frank

Club Member
the width wont effect the caliper clearance tho oddball, if the clio wheels are 13,s then the caliper must be catching the wheel centre.
try adding washers, then measure the washers

drand

1st Micraversary!
Think it's 15mm (2mm for the ET plus half of 1" for the width). But the wheel profile may be different so even then it might catch. Could you make some spacers out of wood/cardboard/ washers to see what is the minimum clearance you need? Don't want to go too far out else you might not have enough thread left to Billy the wheels on.

drand

1st Micraversary!
Think it's 15mm (2mm for the ET plus half of 1" for the width). But the wheel profile may be different so even then it might catch. Could you make some spacers out of wood/cardboard/ washers to see what is the minimum clearance you need? Don't want to go to far out else you might not have enough thread left to bolt the wheels on.

OP
OP
odd_ball
Could try www.willtheyfit.com or just draw it out on a peice of paper and measure the difference.

Cheers Mark, that's the site I was looking for! Still no clearer though, anybody else have any ideas?

screenshot_2013-09-27_1019.png

OP
OP
odd_ball
Hopefully the picture above worked as I'm on my mobile... Is it the difference in poke that will equal the size of spacer I need (14.7mm) or am I barking up the wrong tree? Not bothered about the wheel face being in the exact same place in the arch as the other wheels (if that makes sense?) just want to clear the caliper...

drand

1st Micraversary!
If you need to clear the caliper the important measurement is the wheel mounting face to the part of the wheel that fouls the caliper - the offset is relative to the wheel centerline so doesn't tell you this, its all down to the shape of the wheel. As you say, 15mm brings the wheel face back to where it was. This might do the job fit you out it might not. You either need to get that measurement from the two different wheels and make up the difference with a spacer or experiment with different thicknesses til it works.

frank

Club Member
the width wont effect the caliper clearance tho oddball, if the clio wheels are 13,s then the caliper must be catching the wheel centre.
try adding washers, then measure the washers
your caliper will be catching on the CENTRE of the wheel not the drum oddball, the part on the left, so the et or wheel width is irrelevant

P9270027.JPG

OP
OP
odd_ball
Yeah, I've come down from 15s to 14s but correct, drum not fouling, it's the wheel face. I just thought the whole ET/spacer calc thing would be the easiest way to work it out but obviously not... Ha, I've always said I'm poo with wheels!

The pain is that you screw the Clio bolts through the wheel & into the hub. Not like the Micra were I could sit some washers on the studs, sit wheel on & tighten it all up to check...

It's a 'mare, it's raining at the mo & don't wanna be messing about with card... :(

Need to see what I've got lying about that I could use to mock up a spacer... Think I've got some 3mm ply... Could need a few of them by looks of it?