Standalone ECU installation, I need some help please.

Hi,
I have been making the wiring loom for my new HAWK standalone ECU.
now, i was under the impression that it being called a stand alone meant that i would dispose of the nissan ECU, but then i thought that it would be good if i could keep it for things like nats.
I have also come into a problem with the loom, am i supposed to splice into the origenal loom for things like the wires to heat wires the LAMDA sensor? and injector +12V wires?
i know i could pay Ed £200 to come install it but i would really like to learn from doing it myself. but i do feel a bit like a fish out of water:)
maybe there are books on such installations? web sites? i have surched for books and sites but i havent come up with much, it seems to me that most people leave this stuff to pros (maybe for a good reason:D)
Also, does the micra have an air temp sensor? i cant find one on the wiring loom. do i need one?
Please bare with me,
Ed

ed

you need to study the wiring diag in the haynes till you understand how the ecu works eh. (signaled via negative etc)
are you thinking that the stock ecu is still needed to power the fuelpump and lamba, and wire the hawk to the lambda signal wire only ?

ed

you need to study the wiring diag in the haynes till you understand how the ecu works eh. (signaled via negative etc)
are you thinking that the stock ecu is still needed to power the fuelpump and lamba, and wire the hawk to the lambda signal wire only ?

i think you are probably right,
and yes thats kinda the conclusion i had come to, is that the case?

ed

cold air is denser eh, maybe the ambient air temp is is sensed by the hotwire thingy (in the t/b) ?

i thought that was more to do with working out air flow from how much air passed over it (how much it is cooled). i dunno, i guess if the air was cooler it would cool the wire more, but that seems a bit weird to me.
do you know if people with 'standalones' still use the nissan ecu for some things? it would make sense to me, i just assumed they didnt. from what i can see it seems the simplist way to do it.
anyway, goodnight for today mate,
thank you very much for all your help so far frank, you have helped me out loads.

you are not going to be able to keep the nats system. the nats locks out the ecu, but because the engine is controlled by the other ecu it wont make any difference.

all the wires that are needed for the HAWK need to be chopped and wired directly to HAWK. so injecots, maf, tps, ignition will be totally cut off from the stock ecu.

You got the wiring diagram fro the HAWK so I can have a look and maybe give you some help.

PM me if you wish.

if want something like nats, just fit a few kill switches about the place so only you know where they are / what order is the correct order to allow the car to start.

ok, so i need to run other wires for things like the wideband and maf.
think i will take the loom out of the spare micra to play about with. this loom making busyness is not easy, makes £200 seem pretty good Ed.
could you PM me your email address so i can send your the diagram jabran200?
i had better get out there and get that loom before it get too dark.
i suppose with the micra loom and the HAWK one i have all the wires i need, its just a case of putting them in the right place.
Thanks for the help guys,

you don't need to run new wires for the maf as there is one already there you just chop it off the stock loom and wire into the HAWK. The wideband is going to have an output wire in the control unit which will go to HAWK.

my e-mail is [email protected].

well,
i took the look out of the spare micra i have.
i have been stripping it down, and with the help of a ECU pinout i found (thank you Ed) i have been stripping off the bits i need and labeling them. by tomorrow night i should be most of the way there i should think.
i do have one question, the signal wires in the micra loom are shielded, but the ones in the HAWK loom arnt, does anyone know why HAWK would not bother? is it a good idea to use the micra wires instead of the ones HAWK supply?

the shielded wires stop electrical interference/noise, If you can use the shilded ones especially for the lamda etc.

avoud making too many joins, and solder everything to get the best connection with proper insulation.

the shielded wires stop electrical interference/noise, If you can use the shilded ones especially for the lamda etc.

avoud making too many joins, and solder everything to get the best connection with proper insulation.

i will swop the signal wires for micra ones then, makes sense i think.
replied to your email mate, thanks for the help.
solder and good insulation as been and will be used:)

FFS, googlemail wont let me send you the softwear because its .exe!
do you have msn so i can send it over that? i never use msn so we will have to arrange a time or somthing. or can you think of another way of sending a file?

there is a wire called 'timing in reluctor' and it goes to the 'reluctor pickup' on the HAWK wiring diagram. does anyone know what i am supposed to do with it? what is the 'reluctor pickup'?

thanks frank,
goodo,
does that mean that the car does not have a 'hall effect'? (that was the other choice i think for the ecu to pick up timing.
does the timinig also give the ecu the rpm?

also, what is the IACV/AAC valve? its on the micra loom, and there is a plug for it. but there is no metion of it on the HAWK wiring diagram of it.

Question number 2:
what should i connect the base cable for the power transistor to on the HAWK system?:)

ed

i think the small hole is rpm related (if you cover it, it nulls the rev limiter) so the other 4 slots must be the firing sequence ? i dont know if the cas is optical or hall sensor or magnetic ?,

The small hole will sync the ECU up so it knows the firing order for sequential injection.

should i run sequential injection or batch? i was thinking batch, but is the micra normaly sequential?
do i need to cover the small hole to get the hawk to work? will it work on batch injection sequence but not sequential if i do?

i think im nearly there with the loom now i think, will be able to test this thing some time soon.

Back