Stand alone turbo oil system

Looking for ideas and feedback on an idea i've had.

Rather than add fittings & remove the sump for an oil return i've been putting some thought toward a stand alone oil system to feed a turbo.

Electric oil pump and small reservoir to feed the turbo with a return to an oil cooler and back to the reserviour.

Just an idea, maybe its simpler just to modify the sump

frank

Club Member
the return has to have zero back pressure matt, else the turbo will leak profusely through the hot and cold side

pollyp

Club Member
so it's a small dry sump system for just the turbo.
sounds gr8 for ensuring a reliable, independant, cooler oil feed but adds more weight, complexity, space, electrical drain and cost.

as well as the HP oil feed, it's prob a good idea to have a return scavenge pump to eliminate chances of oil leaking out the seals.
need a cooler too else the hot exh will just cook the oil till the inevitable, perhaps plumb the return scavenge through the AT cooler in Auto radiators?

I'm guessing it could be:
vented tank - HP pump - turbo - AT cooler - return pump - vented tank

so it's a small dry sump system for just the turbo.
sounds gr8 for ensuring a reliable, independant, cooler oil feed but adds more weight, complexity, space, electrical drain and cost.

as well as the HP oil feed, it's prob a good idea to have a return scavenge pump to eliminate chances of oil leaking out the seals.
need a cooler too else the hot exh will just cook the oil till the inevitable, perhaps plumb the return scavenge through the AT cooler in Auto radiators?

I'm guessing it could be:
vented tank - HP pump - turbo - AT cooler - return pump - vented tank

Or another way that crossed me mind Paul.

Use the T piece from the oil pressure switch to feed the turbo but run the return to an oil cooler, then just a return pump from that to a port welded to the timing chain inspection cover.

frank

Club Member
Or another way that crossed me mind Paul.

Use the T piece from the oil pressure switch to feed the turbo but run the return to an oil cooler, then just a return pump from that to a port welded to the timing chain inspection cover.
it will piss out the turbo still tho paul, this is why most factory turbo return pipes trickle down a 45 deg angle pipe
i had a return pipe that did,nt go downhill/gravity feed and the turbo smoked like crazy