Stalls/run-on

T

trevor72

Hi all, sorry to post twice for what may be silly questions, but...

My new micra (not sure of year yet) stalls when stopping abruptly. It runs fine otherwise (idle and driving).

The car also diesels (run-on) after I shut it off (but only when fully warmed up?!?). Does anyone know what is wrong here? Same problems found on my girlfiend's '87 micra. Couldn't quite see the float level, but other than checking that, is there anything else to check? It seems like there may be a spot in the carb that LEAKS fuel, into the engine, that shouldn't. Is there such a thing as a 'Power Valve' in the Hitachi Carb, that could be blown (like in a holley carb)? Or is there a vent tube for the float bowl that could be clogged or something. What spark plugs do you run in your MA12? [are they same as MA10? ...otheres??] Maybe I have too, HOT (heat range) of a plug.

Also, does anyone know what the spring rate is for factory valve springs?? Reason for asking is: is it possible to change the valve seals out with the head on the engine?? Like use a socket or similar, to push down the spring with compressed air in the spark plug socket, and remove the keepers etc.; then reverse?

I'll post pics of the car when I can borrow a digital camera.
Sorry, you guys (gender neutral term here :) ) but I've already removed the ugly-ass bumper stickers, so you won't have a chance to see those :p. Random stupif thing I noticed today: the thing came with 5 tire irons, I wonder if that's trying to tell me something....haha, oh well, probalby not.

Thanks again,
Trevor

You can change the valve springs as you suggest but make sure you don't slip off! Don't know how recommended it is... I tried this with a spring compressor which didn't fit around the head and got one of the collets out, slipped off the valve and I haven't been able to find the other one since! :)

Plugs are NGK BPR5E off the top of my head. Check the ratings on their website, I think the E is the heat rating.

my micra stalled wen i stopped quickly, i turned the idle valve up a lil bit an it ran fine after that :) hope that helps

Back