St compatible parts

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Hi

was looking at the ST lol are there any engine parts straight fit with the 988cc k10? just a thought?

Parts like

Alternator?
head gasket?
Cam Belt?

Etc
Etc

any help would be appreciated :D

cheers

Steve

Snikty

Site Supporter
The basic lump is still an MA series engine. So yes most of the things attached, like timing belt, ignition components (many also match an E15ET), water pump etc will fit. The headgasket has a difference of 2mm on the inside cylinder bore to the MA10 gasket. Keeping in mind the difference in power.

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
so can the 988cc gasket be used? just a thought as i opened the bonnet and the engine looked similar to the super s but with a turbo and supercharger :D

cheers

Steve

Snikty

Site Supporter
Personally, I would rather use a gasket that fits 100% correctly but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if you used a ma10 gasket...there will be a 1mm groove around the inside of your combustion chamber where the two surfaces meet though...it's your call, I've heard of people doing it... To me it just sounds like you would do 1mm of damage around the bore of your head and top of your cylinder sleeves... just my opinion.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Nissan dont make head gaskets for the ST any more. If it goes your in trouble. There may be some about somewhere but youll need to try and find one.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Yes - ive used them. but they require the decks of the engine AND the block to be absolutely perfect. Which means a lot of work.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
They are made of cheese.... OEM ST ones are much nicer.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
They are made of cheese.... OEM ST ones are much nicer.
I have used a top quality ma10 gasket and they are pretty much the same except for dimensions.I used an oem st from nissan on my own car as they were still available 2years ago still sealing perfect.I would choose nissan parts as best i could everytime. Most st owners cant be bothered payin nissan prices

Snikty

Site Supporter
Figaro is just an MA10 gasket and is intended for use on a 63kw boosted engine so you would hope they would be of a fairly decent quality. If you are going for MA10 parts the fig parts would be preferable just coz they are used in higher power applications to the standard MA10. There is a Nismo MA10 gasket but they are very hard to come by, last one I saw for sale in japan went for a bomb. From what I can figure out most of the japanese ST owners use these gaskets.

I have been tryin to find gasket manufacturers in japan in the hopes they may have an aftermarket job already designed but having no luck as yet...looks like its gonna be a custom job...

superls

K10 Tuner
id put my neck out and say most of the figaro ones you buy off of ebay and similar places, if there not oem ones there for just a standard ma10 ones branded as figaro and at double the cost.

Snikty

Site Supporter
ok cheers :D

Ed im in trouble then lol

Has your gasket blown??

id put my neck out and say most of the figaro ones you buy off of ebay and similar places, if there not oem ones there for just a standard ma10 ones branded as figaro and at double the cost.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I bought a couple of timing belt kits from the figaro dude on ebay and I was very unimpressed with the quality def not oem.

superls

K10 Tuner
whats the options regarding gearboxes? are the st drive shafts and cv joints different to the normal k10 and k11?

i would have thought that a cg13 gearbox could be used, along with some hybrid cg13/st driveshafts? i.e. cg inner cv joints, and st outers? or even put a whole k11 front end on it like hubs etc then the cg cv joints can be used?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
CG13 box could be used. drive hsafts would have to be changed or custom id guess. as may the engine mounts.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
whats the options regarding gearboxes? are the st drive shafts and cv joints different to the normal k10 and k11?
i would have thought that a cg13 gearbox could be used, along with some hybrid cg13/st driveshafts? i.e. cg inner cv joints, and st outers? or even put a whole k11 front end on it like hubs etc then the cg cv joints can be used?

:laugh: No that would be to easy, plus k10 shafts are like toothpicks,
Cv joint are twice the size nearly on the st

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
yeh i mressaged him about it just to confirm it is... looks like this will be the way forward and an expensive month :(

Baz

Ex. Club Member
imp124;37148tut2 said:
yeh i mressaged him about it just to confirm it is... looks like this will be the way forward and an expensive month :(
He wont tell you weather its the same as the st steve.

warren

Club Member (Trial)
mine

ok maybe i might be doing something dangerous but i have used a standard micra head gasket on my car and have had no problems even with my head after being skimmed twice second time was yesterday, nightmare ive had over this month, this is my third head gasket this week to be put in i didnt realise my head was warped until sunday so hopefully my car will be back on the road tomorrow, oh baz you heading straightliners on sunday?? should be a good day(Y)

what should i adjust my tappets to wit my head skimmed for the second time and a standard headgasket in??

Snikty

Site Supporter

Mate, I don't want to sound like devil's advocate here...but...

I was always under the impression oem ST headgaskets fail around 160bhp. That ST was advertised on ebay as 160bhp. With an old stock headgasket, as far as we know. ST headgaskets are near extinct. If that 160bhp was achieved largely by increasing boost then you are functioning on a hotter burn in your chamber, which won't help matters.

It was irresposible for this car to be tuned so the headgasket was being pushed so close to its limits. :suspect:

Bottom line, an engine is only as good as it's weakest part. So from here you can:
a) get a much tougher custom headgasket
b) tone it down immediately and hope it improves
c) replace the gasket with an MA10T gasket and tone it down.

Your car appears to be set up very nicely to extract its full potential, you just need to be realistic about what that potential is...and currently it is over that potential...just my opinion :wasntme:

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
i didnt tune it, i was told it was all ok as it was so to avoid breaking it i didnt touch ANYTHING atall lol :D

the boost has been turned down anyway by me what do they run at stock?

Baz

Ex. Club Member
I'd be very suprised if the power is over 140hp at the flywheel to honest, not being a prick about it just going on what was done on mine by Ed and the power mine made. I know it was mapped using the original ecu whichn is better, but I cant see it making 160hp?? What boost is the car running to achieve this claimed output? If I was you and no offense to John (Light cars and bigpower can be deceiving, and figures can disappoint when it strapped to a dyno) I would get it done when its fixed.

the figaro gasket will do the job I reckon and if fitted properly will last

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Mate, I don't want to sound like devil's advocate here...but...

I was always under the impression oem ST headgaskets fail around 160bhp. That ST was advertised on ebay as 160bhp. With an old stock headgasket, as far as we know. ST headgaskets are near extinct. If that 160bhp was achieved largely by increasing boost then you are functioning on a hotter burn in your chamber, which won't help matters.

It was irresposible for this car to be tuned so the headgasket was being pushed so close to its limits. :suspect:

Bottom line, an engine is only as good as it's weakest part. So from here you can:
a) get a much tougher custom headgasket
b) tone it down immediately and hope it improves
c) replace the gasket with an MA10T gasket and tone it down.

Your car appears to be set up very nicely to extract its full potential, you just need to be realistic about what that potential is...and currently it is over that potential...just my opinion :wasntme:

I agree with alot of what your saying man but the Fmic will control intake temps with the increased boost, mine has been dynoed by 2 different places, on a dyno dynamics it made 151.8hp(flywheel) and another well known and respected tuner in Ireland , westward engineering it made 144hp(flywheel) . considering there's a bit more mods on mine I reckon Steve's is between 125-140hp

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
It won't be 160 and i'd be amazed if it blew for power reasons. (If it has that is)

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
ok guys, the reason why it went was i went in it on saturday (the day i got it) to take my friend somewhere, wasnt booting it was it is a new car and never driven an auto before, i noticed the temp going up and at just above 2/4 i cut it off as i knew something was wrong, one of the coolant pipes from the intake (runs over the rocker in a metal pipe) rattled loose with its joint to the rubber hose near the intake and lost a lot of coolant, so i jubilee cliped it back on with some more water from a nearby hose pipe (they didnt know) and started it when it was just warm again and ran on 3 cylinders for about 10 seconds, and now every now and again. i am planning on getting the figaro gasket and not booting it ;)

p.s. what is a 'good' boost to run because it was running 1.2 bar with John and he turned it down to just shy of 1 bar and i dare not turn it up! :)

cheers

steve

Baz

Ex. Club Member
1.2bar is grand for short blasts but when I had the ht10 I ran 1bar most of the time. Man the temp goes over half all the time on the st's even over 3/4 on mine but on the nismo gauge it reads normal, its a fault! Did I not expain this too you via pm? You know it a 4 cylinder lol:laugh: ? I mean the gasket would'nt just go striaght away, It took a 2-3weeks for the gasket on my first st to blow due to a faulty fan switch I did'nt know until I stripped it. Top it up with coolant, jack up the front of the car and run it to get any air out of the system see how it goes.
Also the reason it running on 3 is probably due to the cracked ceramic on the plugs?I reckon

Change them out and top up the coolant and see how it goes,if the fan cuts in and out and she looses no water its fine(Y)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
My symptoms were running slightly hotter than usual and eventually steam from exhaust at idle (excessive) the temp was the main give away tho. It was usually rock solid but when the hg started to go it would creep up slightly on full power

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
there was loads of steam from the exhaust on the saturday night driving it home, but on the sunday it was fine just runnning on 3 and when the turbo kicked it it spluttered

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
ok deffo gone then by the sounds of it. What bad luck... You now should change ALL of the water hoses. I suspect they are all old and weak.

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
yeh they all look like the originals, where it was leaking did have a fair amount of cag around the pipe so it looks like it had possibly been dripping for some time

I just got my head gasket fixed on the super s literally 2 days before this one! so annoying but oh well whats done is done, all water hoses, plugs, oil filter, head set gaskets, 0w 40 oil, coolant will all be replaced :D should be good when its all done :D, what did you do with that manual box that Baz sent you over Ed?

also would i be ok running just under 1 bar boost and is the 1.2 what you recommended to John? would this still be ok or not?

cheers Steve

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
i never got a box from baz in the end

oh right sorry, baz you still got this then lol?

wont want to be messing around with the gearbox just yet, want to get the rest done first, can i come down to you at some point ed and have a look at this super charger light and also drop off the A/C stuff

i am going to go with the figaro head gasket and see how it goes, but i am also going to send off my old head gasket to a place i have found that can make custom uprated headgaskets, will let you know how this goes on :)

cheers

Steve

Snikty

Site Supporter
Glad you've got it all under control now. Although that is pretty disappointing for you, hopefully it will all come good now that you're on to it all.

Let us know how you get on with those uprated gaskets. I'm in the process of doing the same atm and am happy to share anything in regards to it etc but at this stage I'd say I'll be getting my decks skimmed and a metal job put in...I'm only running mine at about 105 whp until I have a rebuilt lump to drop in.

In regards to boost level, what baz said is spot on. Stock boost is 7psi on sc and 9psi on tubby but running 1bar is fine for daily and you can do 1.2 over short periods of time...do not run it at 1.2 for extended periods. I am only running about 9-11 psi atm as I dont have a fmic yet and am in a much hotter country, so need to be a bit cautious with it...especially since we're having 33 degree days in winter this year... :doh:

In regards to your manual conversion. I know Ed has mentioned in the past about cg13 boxes fitting. Is there any possiblity he could work something out for you with one of them if you cant source a ST gearbox?? Or would they only be good up to a certain point?? There is an ST gearbox for sale on Yahoo Japan atm, it is pricey tho... Ok its not listed atm (tried to get the link for ya) but I am pretty sure it hasnt sold so will probably go up again in the next few days, I'll post the link for you if I see it.

linz0577

Ex. Club Member
wow steve that real bad luck man .... i thought you was un about your super s at first so did'nt bother reading it all till just ... need any help give me a ring man i think that car does not like being sold .. when i brought it and was driving it back it set on FIRE...

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
its got a weak spark now and wont start at all, i have changed the plugs, ht's checked, changed the coil as the super s has the same part number, cleaned contacts on the dizzy and rotor arm, run out of ideas now guys. the spark occasionally fires and when it does its an yellowy spark

any common sparking problems i have not thought about?

plugs have been changed, i have put in new plugs with the same code on that i took out, NGK (BCR8ES) does this sound right?

really getting a bit down about this now, nothings going right :(

OP
OP
imp124

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
its got a weak spark now and wont start at all, i have changed the plugs, ht's checked, changed the coil as the super s has the same part number, cleaned contacts on the dizzy and rotor arm, run out of ideas now guys. the spark occasionally fires and when it does its an yellowy spark

any common sparking problems i have not thought about?

plugs have been changed, i have put in new plugs with the same code on that i took out, NGK (BCR8ES) does this sound right?

really getting a bit down about this now, nothings going right :(

FIXED

sorry this was my fault the ht leads ont he dizzy were the wrong way around :S my bad. So now the St runs again, still cutting in and out on one cylinder on idle, when it is run it works ok on the super charger but was soon as the turb starts gathering about 0.8 boost it immediatly cuts out and drops back to the s/c, is this normal with the head gasket going? as i thought it could be too much pressure in the cylinders and its lost the compression as it escapes through the gasket? make any sense or total bull?

cheers

Steve

linz0577

Ex. Club Member
ahhh maybe its the first cylinder lead me and ed had to chrimp it again inside mate under the plug cap .. those plugs that was it were new about 500 mile ago brought them off ed mate...

linz0577

Ex. Club Member
when you say it got to 2/4 do you mean half way on the temp gauge?? if so that the normal opperating range temp if it went to 3 quarters id be worryed? id seriously check out the conection on the 1st and maybe 2nd cylinder ht leads where the meet the plug end as when i pulled them off before with ed they broke contact.. can't believe you aint rung me bud gizz a ring john