SRS Light on continuously......dealer wants to replace control unit

The control unit is £380 plus VAT plus labour for my 2005 1.2 S K12 but I have heard that there was a modification/recall to replace a wiring harness under the passenger seat. The light came on almost immediately after I had reclined the back of the passenger seat so the wiring harness solution seems to have some merit. Can anyone shine any light on this issue?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
The control unit is £380 plus VAT plus labour for my 2005 1.2 S K12 but I have heard that there was a modification/recall to replace a wiring harness under the passenger seat. The light came on almost immediately after I had reclined the back of the passenger seat so the wiring harness solution seems to have some merit. Can anyone shine any light on this issue?
5 door and 3 door micras have same loom, but they designed it for the 5 door where the seats don't slide back as far as 3 door, stretches and damages the wiring. Drivers side isn't moved about as much as passenger side eh

I don't know about a recall for that, but as Enuo said the looms in the 3 and 5 door models are the same...and thus not long enough for when the seat in the 3 door is moved <_<

it may be possible to change the wiring harness for one from a breaking car?...Have you tried the reset trick?....just incase?...

check your connections (if you don't have heated seats there will still be a connector that doesn't go anywhere :p
then....

First turn off the radio and switch the ignition off.

Then…

1. Turn the ignition from off to on.

2. The airbag warning light will stay on for approx 7 seconds, as soon as it goes off (within 1 sec) turn off ignition.

3. Wait for more than 3 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1- 3 two more times.

5. Turn ignition switch back on again.

Now turn off the ignition for at least one second and then back on.

This should now have reset the light. If the light comes back on again then it would be fair to say that you have an airbag fault.

Edit:...when I've had the light showing/flashing on my dash I've had to do this about 6/7 times not just the 3...
it's happened a few times now :rolleyes:

Similar problems with fiats, stuff gets kicked under the seats snags the airbag wiring and then the connector jiggles loose.
Cable tie around the connector to keep it secure does the trick on them, maybe works with the micra problem too?