SR20DE conversion?

Seen the engine code thingy around and about and finally thought i'd let out the question, what engine is this and is it possible to swap this into a K11 and it to pass emissions on MOT, if yes, I feel some work coming on :)

My step dad's an engineer and he's done many engine swaps, I have the facilitied to carry it out i'm just asking a question, asking for help not to be told i'm not capable of something, thanks for the linl anyway

To be fair your opening post was kinda noobish and you didn't say that you or your stepdad were able to do it.....

If you're serious about attempting it you'd best get talking to Dave Bull, mov, scott or tajones (I think that's his name) as they're are the only people I can think of that's done it, or had it done for them

Mov, I take it it passes emmissions then? Gone off trying to save for a skyline in a few years and thought i'd just go all out on the micra, sorry if it was a nooby post, but i'm not the expert here, hence why the question was asked :)

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Sorry if i seemed a bit harsh, but generally the people who ask about it instead of researching it and just doing it are the ones that never even get started. It requires a lot of custom parts and fabrication. These sort of threads get posted all the time.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
the problem is that micras are usually people's first cars, so we get a lot of people on this club around the 17 year old age limit and they want to turn their car into a rocket, so they ask how to swap the engine but they probably have never even changed the oil in their car.

it happens a lot and people get sick of the "how do i put an SR20 in my micra" questions.

people are a lot more willing to help when you have actually started the project, so (if it was me) start by searching the net, not just the forums, about the engine, which car it comes from, its dimensions, power output, and what cars it comes in, what kind of brakes might be needed, fuel pump pressure etc. then take the engine out of your car (if you can't do this because its a daily driver or you don't have the space, then thats a good sign to give up) once the engine is out, take a look at the bay, measure it and see if the engine is going to physically fit, which we already know because the conversion has been done before. get the new engine, put it in place, and see what has to be done to secure it, so which mounts have to be modified etc. same with the coolent pipes, gear linkage, drive shafts etc, most of this is pretty obvious and you will understand exactly what needs to be done when you start the project, like if something is in the way you will have to move it etc.

once you have got this far, then is a good time to come back to the club for the more complex questions like wiring, or good places for custom drive shafts etc.

its only because we have so many people asking about these things with no real intention of actually doing them, the threads are there if you search you will see how many times people have asked about these things before!

mov

Site Supporter
I think there should be a thread stickied with all the information needed for the conversion to take place in one thread.

NeX

Club Member
I think there should be a thread stickied with all the information needed for the conversion to take place in one thread.

maybe that would be better for the guide section,

but the thing with an engine conversion is that there are so many different ways of doing it, it depends on how well you want to do it, how much experience and knowledge you have, how much money, space and time, etc its not really so black and white as just do this then this then this etc

i have seen some engine swaps in micras which should have never been done they are just horribly dangerous. i have seen some attempted engine swaps that were so high quality that the project never got finished.

How about just doing a general swap info guide, nothing majorly in depth just the right amount of information so people can see how much is involved

Could have it so it covers all K's and all common swaps, I don't know about everyone else but people asking about swapping cg10's for 13's is getting old

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
How about just doing a general swap info guide, nothing majorly in depth just the right amount of information so people can see how much is involved

Could have it so it covers all K's and all common swaps, I don't know about everyone else but people asking about swapping cg10's for 13's is getting old

Remove your engine, place sr in make templates of mounts while sr in bay, make mounts, make shortened shafts with suitable ends to fit hubs, or fit sunny gti hubs, fit carb or fanny around with mpi loom wire in done
Lol
General enough Karl haha

NeX

Club Member
well this is what joe was saying, if you feel confident enough to manage an engine swap you should have a basic understand of what would be involved. its all logical, things like: the engine that is in the car has to come out, so take it out, put the new engine in. it has to be held in some how, so make it. if people want to do it but have no idea where to start and need to be spoon fed every step of the way then they shouldn't do it.

you wouldn't want to be under the car, covered in oil and have to run in to ask the forum what you do when the old radiator hose isn't long enough for the new engine etc.

i understand that some of it is not straight forward, like electrics, and i understand that there might be some useful tips from people who have done it before like "the hubs from the Gti are a straight swap" etc, that kind of stuff could save someone the effort of testing different bits from the scrapyard for example.

but as for the purely logical things like "what do i do with the mounts" is the annoying bit. obviously when you put the new engine in, it doesn't fit like the old one, and when its in place you can see why, so from there you can work out what needs doing, maybe the mount needs to be extended, or bent, or re drilled etc.

I know what you're saying that's why I've never bothered myself, yes I've thought about it and yes I've done the research but ultimately what's stopped me is lack of time and money.... Best example I can give is the 323 V6 idea I had which won't be happening now, I know everything involved in the swap and everything that's needed but I just don't have the space for it all :down: that and I might be getting the super s back in a couple of weeks :grinning:

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Not allot of point anyway Karl just buy an mx6 or mx3 or which ever one has the v6 already, it'll be lighter and faster than a 323f I would imagine, it's not like there expensive! I'd guess there'd be change from £600

Not allot of point anyway Karl just buy an mx6 or mx3 or which ever one has the v6 already, it'll be lighter and faster than a 323f I would imagine, it's not like there expensive! I'd guess there'd be change from £600

Mine isn't a F just a normal everyday 323

NeX

Club Member
I know what you're saying that's why I've never bothered myself, yes I've thought about it and yes I've done the research but ultimately what's stopped me is lack of time and money.... Best example I can give is the 323 V6 idea I had which won't be happening now, I know everything involved in the swap and everything that's needed but I just don't have the space for it all :down: that and I might be getting the super s back in a couple of weeks :grinning:

exactly, there is a lot people can do towards an engine conversion before they have to start asking question.