Sr20 questions.

Hi all, I have just started a sr20 conversion on a 5door k11. I have Done a lot of research on this already, but may have some questions at some point.

I am using an almera gti as a doner car. I am intending to use the whole front loom from the almera just splicing rear electrics in. Ill be stripping the almera in few days.

OP
OP
mrcheese
I should probably add that I'm from Suffolk, I have been a mechanic for 11 years now and spent 5 of that working for Nissan. I'm doing this conversion at work so I have all the equipment I cud ever need.

I have a question 're: power steering, is it possible to keep it , I don't have gti engine out so can't see for myself if space is an issue. And by the looks of it most people lose it. :-(

Ta Andy

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
U can keep power steering my micra 2002 facelift has it with the sr20de engine turboed as well. Fits in snug! Check my thread for pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mrcheese
Sweet... thanks for the reply, I had searched high and low but found nothing really. Ill upload some pics at some point. I have the micra stripped down waiting... will be doing the almera on Thursday and Friday.

I can't wait for sr20 powah again.

OP
OP
mrcheese
Good evening... well nearly.

I have the Sr lump positioned in the micra bay, ready to weld up the mounts tomorrow.

MY GOD IT'S TIGHT. I reckon I'll have 3mm clearance between chassis and pas pump. Any chance any of u guys could check the clearance on your so I canccheck. Also how much If any does the gearbox hang out of the chassis rail.

I will add photos tonight.

Ta Andy

Stani1029

Club Member
Good evening... well nearly.

I have the Sr lump positioned in the micra bay, ready to weld up the mounts tomorrow.

MY GOD IT'S TIGHT. I reckon I'll have 3mm clearance between chassis and pas pump. Any chance any of u guys could check the clearance on your so I canccheck. Also how much If any does the gearbox hang out of the chassis rail.

I will add photos tonight.

Ta Andy

When we fitted an sr20 the gearbox was near enough inline with the outer edge of the chassis leg, we also countersunk new bolts into the water pump pulley to give an extra 3-4mm clearance

frank

Club Member
glen has some pic,s in his blog eh stani :) and here,s another of a g/box mount

sr20.jpg

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
I didn't do my engine conversion so couldn't comment but ill take a pic tomorrow of the mounts etc for u

OP
OP
mrcheese
Cheers guys.
20121228_152846_zpsbf8ecc23.jpg

20121228_152913_zpsa312a3d0.jpg

This is where I left it yesterday afternoon. Gonna do do a few hrs, my aim is to have the engine mounted and there x-member welded.

Nice one Andy, its Colin who you used to work with. You always said youd do an SR Micra! Im currently stripping a 3 door K11C for a GA16de conversion then once its up and running, i'll be fitting a low pressure turbo.
Let me know if you ever need wiring diagrams or anything like that.

Im good cheers Andy. Yeah still at Nissan. Good job on the conversion, looking pretty good so far. Your giving me inspiration to pull my finger out with mine.

OP
OP
mrcheese
Here's some more progress.
This is the rear engine mount, micra brace with almera mount welded on, this also allows the gear linkage to bolt up relatively easily by the looks of things.
20121230_120500_zpsec2cb421.jpg

For the almera rad to fit I've put mounting holes in the crossmember and chopped a bit out of the slam panel. It fits snug with a bit of rubber matt for protection.
20121230_152608_zps2d06eb78.jpg

20121230_152618_zps7403fb40.jpg

There is just enough room to fit the almera cooling fans on the outside, I'll just reverse the wiring.
20121230_153442_zpsa6f3b4fd.jpg

OP
OP
mrcheese
What rad is in yours? Mine has different mounts so not practical to mount any other way.

Could u take a pic of the power steering pipework connections/sensor above the brake servo please. I'm wondering what's micra/almera/custom.

Thanks.

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Can get pics when I've been to the car again which will be New Year's Day. But I have this pic.
haje6y7a.jpg

It's the yellow looking thing on left of engine bay.
As far as I know the radiator is a Almera Gti one

OP
OP
mrcheese
A little progress today... got the pas all hooked up, I cut the female connector from the high pressure line, swapped to an almera male fitting, flared the pipework and connected up perfect.

Also found a suitable tight belt for the alternator 4pk838.

Andy_s ive looked into it im pretty sure u have a primera rad.

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Ok brill I wasn't sure u see. Ill measure it next time I with the car

OP
OP
mrcheese
Wiring loom all in, just have to sort the rear lights out, and secur it all in place. It turns over but doesn't seem to be priming the fuel pump so wont start. Will sort that in the next few days so will be running soon.

Shafts are the only real hurdle now.

OP
OP
mrcheese
Just a short vid.. firing up first try, well when I connected the earths for the rear harness.

Currently has just a manifold on it.. so a bit loud. The front end is mostly assembled, had to get a curly rad hose from a vaux in a breakers yard. Only big things now is driveshafts and get the interior in.

Should be otr in next 2 weeks I reckon.

OP
OP
mrcheese
Yep gonna lathe a peg on 1 half, and hole in other em so I can press the shafts together (interference fit) and know they will be straight. Then weld and sleeve them.

Id like proper shafts but as ive invested peanuts into this project I dont wanna spend £€$. Trying to do as cheap as poss by doing everthing myself.

frank

Club Member
Yep gonna lathe a peg on 1 half, and hole in other em so I can press the shafts together (interference fit) and know they will be straight. Then weld and sleeve them.

Id like proper shafts but as ive invested peanuts into this project I dont wanna spend £€$. Trying to do as cheap as poss by doing everthing myself.
should be fine for N/A eh :) i do something similar with our stub axles at work, and i grind a slot down the sleeve and fill that with weld too

OP
OP
mrcheese
[quote"frank, post: 562848, member: 4874"]should be fine for N/A eh :) i do something similar with our stub axles at work, and i grind a slot down the sleeve and fill that with weld too[/quote]

Good Idea I was thinking maybe a slot or drill some holes and pool some weld in there. I may get a mate to weld that for me as his welder is industrial... mine isnt :-(

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Like mine at moment :) but I will be stripping mine out, roll cage , bucket seats , harnesses. Want people to look laugh and go its a micra and then their jaws hit the floor when I obliterate them with them thinking "wt*beep*" was that lol

OP
OP
mrcheese
Sorry its been a while since the last update, I hadn't touched the car in 2 weeks. I have got the dash in today, fitted most of the exhaust, and got all the gear linkage sorted.

No modifications required to exhaust downpipe or cat, for the gear linkage I removed the shifter and relocated the pivot ball up approx 1.5" this allowed the lnkage to work without touching the body, also creating a shortshifter in the process.

Should have some pics this week once I get my 03 impreza seats in.

Andy

OP
OP
mrcheese
A long night at work 7pm-5:30am resulted in.
1, headlights in and wired up.
2, taillghts wired.
3, side exit exhaust with 2 1/4 upswept tip, finished.... sounds awesome.
4, pas oil pressure switch and brake fluid warning wired.
5, 03 imprza seats moddes, welded to subframes and fitted to car, a little higher than stock but all good.
6, welded tab on gearbox mount, it only had 1 bolt in.
7, installed almera gti fan on outside of rad and reversed wiring..... toight like the tiger.
8, fitted anti roll bar, spaced away from exhaust with some 1" box section...... ta mov good idea.

So......driveshafts....... great
I didnt get any pics as my phone died, try to remember tomorrow.

OP
OP
mrcheese
Drove it......Goood day today... fitted my shafts jump started car (no battery fitted) and had a short test drive....... impressed only to 40mph tho.

Just a couple of little thing to do, the steering wheel is 90º , fit battery into the boot.

Andy

Glen

Club Member
I dont see how those shafts will last as when i drove mine it seems really torqy surly they would rip in two

OP
OP
mrcheese
To be honest..... I dont know yet, will have to see. I sleeved them with hardened steel tube then slotted the tube and filled the groove with weld. Im confident welding. I intend to make a spare set in case any problems. I had a little drive again today done a couple of standing starts to test..... so far so good.
If they work then great... I can say that I done everything myself and it cost peanuts.

Also fitted the battery to the boot in a steel usaf ammo crate.

Andy