SR160 with a 6 speed gearbox ?

Hi everyone.

I have a SR160 and find it a great all rounder even with 5 people up and all their luggage on the roof!
But with so much torque, this engine is armed with the wrong gearbox for long distance driving - in order to drive at 70mph or an indicated 80mph, the engine revolutions are at 3500-4000 which drops her mpg from 50mpg to only 39mpg.....
....is there a compatible 6 speed gearbox with top gear allowing 80mph+ at 2500rpm ?

Or is it financially feasible to adjust the current ratios of the existing 5 speed gearbox?

I don't want to change the car as she's perfectly sized for city parking, light weight and ultra reliable.

Thanks!

frank

Club Member
taller tyres ? i,m using up some left-over 175/70/13 baloon tyres on my k11 atm, and it purrs along @ cruise now :)

I was also thinking this, both my current cars seem to have the wrong gearbox. My 160SR needs a 6th for the motorway, my 1.8 zafira's engine and gearbox just seem completely miss-matched when taken in consideration to the vehicle's size and load

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
I've often thought about this, it wouldn't have been too hard for Nissan to have put a 6th gear in even though it wasn't incredibly common in small cars at the time of their design but it would stop the thing sitting middle of the rev band during motorway journeys. Admittedly this has the advantage of always being on the power so overtaking is easy, but I'm pretty sure I could probably manage shifting every now and then to get the best fuel economy.

If you do figure something out let us know as it can go on my list of "Things I would like to do to my car but probably wont end up doing"

pollyp

Club Member
when normally driving upto 60-70 i always catch myself trying to get into 6th gear to bring the revs down into the normal 2-3k rpm and instead i get blocked from selecting Reverse.
revs quite abit loud at high motorway speeds

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
when normally driving upto 60-70 i always catch myself trying to get into 6th gear to bring the revs down into the normal 2-3k rpm and instead i get blocked from selecting Reverse.
revs quite abit loud at high motorway speeds

My dad did the opposite on our friends 6 speed Quashqai (or however you spell it), put it into sixth thinking it was reverse and nearly stalled it into the front of my mums car! I find that the K12 is a lot quieter/isn't as stressed as my K11 was at motorway cruising. But then again my K11 was starting to struggle near the end of it's life and needed some work doing.