Squeaky wiper driving me mad..

lewic

Ex. Club Member
My driver's side wiper is squeaking horribly (think tortured cat being dragged down a blackboard..) and its doing my head in.

Anyone got any tips? The wipers are new-ish Bosch ones, and the screenwash is new pink Halfords stuff. Have tried Rain-X, vinegar and screen cleaner to no avail. Annoyingly there was no squeak when I got the car and it had a dirty screen and old wipers!

It looks like the wiper may be too tight on the screen, as it leaves slight marks (dry bits) on the screen as it goes across. The other one, which is OK, doesnt do this. Is there a way of adjusting the wiper so it isnt so tight?

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
Sounds like your wiper arm is bent mate

i agree with Arnold here!!

my old micra has this problem. if u follow down the drivers side wiper arm till u reach the bolt by the bonnet, just push down on the "rubber ball joint" (kind thing) that is there !! on mine this moves where as the passengers doesnt!!

i took off both wipers and the screen guard so i could see the arms and motor and i could see that the drivers linkage has corroded and is moving!

hope this helps

naps

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
I had a problem like this. For ages I thought it was the actual blade and tried everything on it to make it stop. It turned out that when I lifted the wiper of the window that the noise continued. Turned out to be the driver side where the wiper arm connects to the motor, sprayed it with WD40 and the squeak was gone.

Mine had the same problem as Napster, it made a horrible squeal and replacing the blades and arms made no difference, I removed the linkage, removed all the rust from the spindles and packed them with grease, the spindle boxes are still worn, but there's no squeaking any more.

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Thanks - will wait for a dry day and take the mechanism apart. Has been superficially WD40'd but that didnt fix it!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Dodgey wipers are not K11 specific so doesn't need to be in that section :) K10 and probably K12 owners experience wiper issues too, and the replies here may help those