Spring chop and mot pass

How much can i chop the standard springs and still pass the MOT :D

They still have to seated properly when it's jacked up so does anyone know how many coils would be too much.. fwn

thanks

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
aslong as the spring is still tensioned when the wheels are off the floor your ok. Also make sure you do a nice clean cut so then it doenst look like a broken spring. for the rear axle you can use axle straps to limit the ammount of fall the axle does when jacked up:

StrappingLadLeft-custom-size-400-800.jpg

I think they pass an mot but dont quote me on that lol

sn31

Club Member (Trial)
i have a set of spax 30mm lowering springs for sale .rears are unused and fronts have been used .will save you cutting them

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Bought the shed an ebay present :) they are oil filled but all 4 brand new and cheap ;)
CIMG5434.jpg
CIMG5436.jpg

oil filled ones are perfect for modifying. Drill a hole in the bottom and drain all the oil. then cut a section out of the middle (above the spring cup) and remove the damper gubbings. then cut the spring cup off and weld it on further down. cut the threaded part of the damper off and rethread further down. Then insert the gubbins back in (make sure the valve part of the damper is at the bottom, away from the heat) and weld the top back on. refill with engine oil (thicker so more damping) and tap the drilled hole and tighten a bolt in with a seal. And there you have it, loweness but still have shock absorbers that work, springs that dont fall out of the cups and its not sat on the bump stops either.

OP
OP
K10 SHED
oil filled ones are perfect for modifying. Drill a hole in the bottom and drain all the oil. then cut a section out of the middle (above the spring cup) and remove the damper gubbings. then cut the spring cup off and weld it on further down. cut the threaded part of the damper off and rethread further down. Then insert the gubbins back in (make sure the valve part of the damper is at the bottom, away from the heat) and weld the top back on. refill with engine oil (thicker so more damping) and tap the drilled hole and tighten a bolt in with a seal. And there you have it, loweness but still have shock absorbers that work, springs that dont fall out of the cups and its not sat on the bump stops either.
As easy as that.. :eek:

ill be testing my spanner skills to the limit just changing the old shocks for new ones :D

will sort some -35 springs at a later date to stay speed bump friendly and boring ;)

OP
OP
K10 SHED

My word i did the rears tonight and its sooo much better. i would say my old shocks were working 30%. The new ones really plant the back end much better on bumps etc..i also found my annoying rattle which was the old plastic gaters that were supposed to protect the rear shocks. They were just rattling about on the spring seats vibrating now and again:rolleyes:...............very happy :D

when i do the fronts it will be a go kart :p