Spray cans

How much do u mean by extensive; as a panel can be done but colour matching and blending will be possible issues. Halfords cans can be alright and not too bad price wise. You need to be more specific of the size and finish your after as large and perfect will be hard to achieve.

Well the lacquer is all peeling on the bonnet and wing, and then there's just various wee patches of rust etc. all over. To be honest the whole car could do with a respray but I don't have that kind of money lol

I have an aj4 flame red and my better halfs in ap0 cinnibar red and theyre really good! Its where we allways go x

It's all about the prep work...in my IMO opinion of mine...

Even the best quality paint will look baaaaaad if the surface isn't prepared properly.

I resprayed my rear bumper, the colour match was not so good as my car (I believe) has had the top coat mopped off, so its more the primer white than the Arctic white it should be <_<

I used the Halfords rattle cans too and agree with the others, prep is everything, you need to take your time rubbing back with wet and dry and leave the coats of paint long enough to "go off" ;)

(My baby was an estate agent car, so was in a vinyl wrap for the first 4 years of its life :( , you can still see their email on the boot lid *facepalm*)

Edit: the match isn't terrible, it's just I can see that the other panels are a different shade ^_^

Last edited:
I've used Halfords cans to spray bits and pieces on mine. Make sure you use the right colour primer as suggested on the can, as that will ensure correct colour match.

I used their AJ4 to spray my bootlid:

GGawyE2.jpg

...and spoiler:

3ZCokEo.jpg

...and grilles:

Cs4khWM.jpg

And you can see the match is pretty much spot on, but you need to get the prep right and take your time with it.

+1 on keeping the cans warm. Stops the paint from coming out in clumps. I use a heat gun or hair dryer, just don't let it get too hot obviously

Well the lacquer is all peeling on the bonnet and wing, and then there's just various wee patches of rust etc. all over. To be honest the whole car could do with a respray but I don't have that kind of money lol

if you need the bonnet and wing doing it might work out better to get a bodyshop to blow over it,,,,you could prep it yourself with some wet&dry and scotchbrite to keep costs down,,,,depending on where you live you should be able to find a small unit bodyshop,,,,ive had a bonnet sprayed/lacquered for £50 a few year back

ive also used rattle cans with great results but large areas are harder than you think,,,,metallics can be a bugg*r for seeing spray lines even though you think youve sussed it with a few wet coats,,,lacquer goes on and BAM looks a right mess and youve ended up spending £50 anyhow

I'm with gaz. Do all the prep work cause that'll just cost u time. To spray a wing and a bonnet in will be loads of cans of paint. And u know what'll happen , you'll get to the last coat of laquer and bam! Dirty great run,then u got to rub it down and start again. Get it to primer then save up.

Sorry to interrupt o_O But i've done bonnet and both bumpers plus bits n bobs from the interior: dials outer shell, hbrake surround, center console with a comp and paintgun way way cheaper than buying cans. And you get lots of left overs say half thinner can half hardner can remaining..i know they're not of much use after wards. But the paint quality is wayy superior. Mine's just dumb white but the paint thickness and layer solidness could have mever been achieved using just cans. And remember the amount of coats required cos a can barely gives you one full coat for the bonnet byitself IIRC. Just my 2c, seeing you havent started yet. And believe i was the one that should have given up cos i hadnt a garage to do the job.

Ive done the job myself and it costed 65ish quid, i still have plastic primers left and sandpapers and the stuff i mentioned earlier. Obviously if youve never touched an paint gun before defo dont do it..but then again if youre willing to go the spraycan path then you should have sum painting skill..ie fast n steady coats, then might as well go with spray gun and for anyone with no air comp, ive recently seen a paintjob with electric spraygun and im still amazed at the outcome.

Cheers,
Ian - Malta

I wouldn't try spray cans on large panels, but for small bits and pieces they should be fine, just take your time with it because rushed work shows up more with rattle cans.

I'm torn between trying to tidy it up, or just go a bit rat look. I bought the car for £50 believe it or not and it's mechanically sound, the paint is just a bit knackered. Because it cost me so little I don't want to pump a lot in to it, that's why I'm looking for cheap and cheerful lol

I've used Halfords cans to spray bits and pieces on mine. Make sure you use the right colour primer as suggested on the can, as that will ensure correct colour match.

I used their AJ4 to spray my bootlid:

GGawyE2.jpg

...and spoiler:

3ZCokEo.jpg

...and grilles:

Cs4khWM.jpg

And you can see the match is pretty much spot on, but you need to get the prep right and take your time with it.

hi what colour primer did u use under the red?

just so you all know,halfords paint isnt top quailty stuff,you can get better quailty paint put into a spray can at a small paint supplys,,,,they mix it up from a quailty paint system and seal it in a can for the same price as halfords

iam not nocking halfords too much as ive used plenty from them on a sunday when other places are closed but as an example i have a small shop called 'humberside paints' round the corner and they supply tinned paint or spray paint,guns,compressors etc at the same prices if not cheaper if buying in bulk,,,,all you need to do is blag trade prices from these business's

all iam trying to say is,,,if your going to spend nearly a £100 on primers,paint and prep materials,,,,halfords isnt the place,,there for quick repairs

and then you might aswel buy a cheap compressor/gun kit and a pot of paint for less than £150 and then you can start buying air tools,,die grinders,tyre inflators etc for the future

I've sprayed a whole car in rustoleum cans before (check my mini thread) but it takes some effort as not all cans are built equal! Prep is key, and some quality wet and dry.

Though I'm looking at plastidip for the mini now - cheap and easy to change when I get bored.

hope you dont take this the wrong way but them piddly little cans won't last you half a day :)
someone dropped me the sizler type size and price is nice.
20150611_141809.jpg

Back