spoof paypal email

watch out paypal users, another phishing email is going around, I've reported it and it is fake;

Dear [email protected],

It has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems.

Please update your billing records:

http://ns.psepro.com.mx/www.Paypal.com/us/.us/cgi-bin/webscrcmd.php

------------------------
Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to http://removeme.providian.com/.

Copyright© 2007 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
am i right thinking even a good hacker/scammer cannot make a duplicate lock symbol on the botton right hand corner of IE?

you know the lock thing that suggest this is a secure website?

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
am i right thinking even a good hacker/scammer cannot make a duplicate lock symbol on the botton right hand corner of IE?

you know the lock thing that suggest this is a secure website?

Donno, but with Vista the address bar goes green...beat that scammer scum!...lol

Overall though thier just Scum of the Earth...

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Donno, but with Vista the address bar goes green...beat that scammer scum!...lol

Overall though thier just Scum of the Earth...

The padlock just confirms the presence of security, SSL encryption on the page but im sure it wouldnt take much effort for a scammer to do that. The only snag there is i believe you have to give address details when you register SSL, which would give away the scammers address. Dont quote me on that though!

Anyway, major clues its crap is most companies that deal with accounts or financial information wont ask you to update your details, to this degree. At most you would logon to the official site then be asked.

Also in the quote above

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to http://removeme.providian.com/.

American spelling of "apologize" which i'd class as dodgey immediatly. If paypal wanted anything from you, it would be in English. Also, whats Providian product offerings got to do with anything? Paypal are responsible for there own mailshots.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i got one saying my credit card is out of date, but i don't have a credit card... yet it didn't give me any likes or return address and it had my name so i think its genuine?! weird...

I had the very same one. You can forward any email from Paypal you think might be dodgy to [email protected] and they get back to you within a couple of hours.
If you get concerned, you could always log into your Paypal account to check it, although obviously in a window you've opened yourself, and NOT from the link in the email. Probably obvious to most, but on a secure page you can double click the padlock and go to security > view > details > subject (this is in Firefox, although IIRC IE is similar) and check that the details there are consistant with Paypal, or whatever secure site you're visiting.

Pete

Site Supporter
got one recently confirming my payment to the donught store saying if I didn't authorise this payment to click the link - log in - and report it!!! Cheecky so and so's!!! Vista's bar goes green? Firefox has been going amber for years!!! Vista is such a rip-off of other programs.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
my firefox just did this... not seen this happen before!

Attachments

• mad.jpg
    mad.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 242

James

Chairman
Interestingly, what Firefox now uses for that web forgery was once a 3rd Party Google plugin called "Google Safe Browsing".

So technically Firefox ripped it off too! ;)

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Have IE6 and it didnt set off any warnings, except for the lack of lock symbol at bottom right corner. Could fool a lot of people, if they didnt know to ignore that type of email. I work in IT and IME most users dont even look at the address bar when browsing, and unless it throws an error up in their face or crashes the PC will carry on regardless!