Spirita 56Reg: ABS + Handbrake lights constantly on

hi all,

I've got a Spirita 1.4 Auto 56 Reg 38,800miles... Due to the cold weather and not using the car much, it developed a flat battery... Since after the ABS + HandBrake lights are constantly on. Checking the manual they advise to check the brake fluid level - which is fine (car was serviced end of Dec-12 by Nissan dealer). The car drives okay, i.e., steering wheel, normal brakes, lights, etc.

Took car to the same dealer this morning. They said the car has a faulty ABS pump + loom. Quote for repair:

£930 labour + £800 parts = not economic viable.

I was wondering whether:

1) this is the right diagnosis? I know difficult to ask...;
2) if taken to independent garage whether repair is/will be economic viable;
3) should I buy one of these faulty scanners, check it myself and try to reset it?

It seems to much of coincidence after a flat battery this problem has occured.

I was wondering whether somebody could assist???

thanks in anticipation, rb51

Just spotted your post...welcome

I was recently informed that the brake fluid level has to be pretty much at max to keep the light off
...although there could, obviously, be further issues regarding the abs pump etc.. :oops:
I'd take it to a trusted local garage for a second opinion...repair almost certainly cheaper?
getting yourself a code reader could be a good idea too...but I don't know what codes you'd need to look out for or if/how you could reset it yourself

...sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

good luck...I hope it turns out to be something way cheaper ;)

Hello, i have same problem on my micra. I have rusted broken pin on abs unit. Now im thinking how i get the unit off.

hi all,

I've got a Spirita 1.4 Auto 56 Reg 38,800miles... Due to the cold weather and not using the car much, it developed a flat battery... Since after the ABS + HandBrake lights are constantly on. Checking the manual they advise to check the brake fluid level - which is fine (car was serviced end of Dec-12 by Nissan dealer). The car drives okay, i.e., steering wheel, normal brakes, lights, etc.

Took car to the same dealer this morning. They said the car has a faulty ABS pump + loom. Quote for repair:

£930 labour + £800 parts = not economic viable.

I was wondering whether:

1) this is the right diagnosis? I know difficult to ask...;
2) if taken to independent garage whether repair is/will be economic viable;
3) should I buy one of these faulty scanners, check it myself and try to reset it?

It seems to much of coincidence after a flat battery this problem has occured.

I was wondering whether somebody could assist???

thanks in anticipation, rb51

Check on the abs pump how many pins in there. There should be 22 small and 4 big pins or 22 small and 4 big pins.

Back