Spinning Around

T

turbomike

I need to rotate my compressor housing to make fitting my cooler a liitle easier where are the bolts to losen the housing?Also would it be ok to remove and refit the the rad elsewhere and then fit the cooler where the rad used to be in order to shorten the pipes.Does the march turbo take coolant and if so please specify grade also Ed do you have a part number fo the GTI-R plugs.Getting my exhaust made and i think its gonna be 58mm is that ok running 700 mmHg boost?Ed,do you have a conversion for mmHg to psi?I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their advice and helpful suggestions since i joined!

1 Millimetre mercury(mmHg) = 0.01934 Pound/sq.inch (psi)

therefor

700 Millimetre mercury(mmHg) = 13.53575 Pound/sq.inch (psi)

I'm not sure about your turbo, but most have the compressor housing attached by a very large circlip, you need to squeeze it using circlip pliers and then you should be able to remove or rotate the housing.

Is it possible to fit the intercooler infront of the radiator?

With exhausts on turbo cars the bigger (bore) and shorter you can get it the better, for your application I'm sure that 58mm is ample.

Cheers

Amy

AMY said:
1 Millimetre mercury(mmHg) = 0.01934 Pound/sq.inch (psi)

therefor

700 Millimetre mercury(mmHg) = 13.53575 Pound/sq.inch (psi)

I'm not sure about your turbo, but most have the compressor housing attached by a very large circlip, you need to squeeze it using circlip pliers and then you should be able to remove or rotate the housing.

Is it possible to fit the intercooler infront of the radiator?

With exhausts on turbo cars the bigger (bore) and shorter you can get it the better, for your application I'm sure that 58mm is ample.

Cheers

Amy
Thanks Amy for your reply unfortunately i was looking at my turbo today and i found that there is a small amount of play in it.When i bought the car there was a really noticable whistle out of the turbo but i was told it was ok because its cat was gutted out and it had a standard exhaust and thats what was making the noise and the car was still really quick so i thought nothing of it.I have only driven about 25 miles since i bought it because i was sorting out the rust and a respray and welding the bulkhead.I know if i turn up the boost the turbo will fail can i get a new turbo and howmuch would it cost or is recondtioning an option.Cheers

A small amount of play is normal, as is a slight whistle. How much play do you have? if you are talking about 1mm or so up and down it's probably fine, usually the first thing to go is the seals which would create a lot of smoke.
If you can move the shaft back and forth, if there are any marks on the housing around the compressor wheel or if you can get the compressor wheel to touch the housing then expect to replace it. If you think that it does need replacing,

you could rebuild it yourself if you have a fair idea of mechanics, if the blades and shaft are undamaged you won't need to rebalance the assembly.

Buy a 2nd hand unit, not sure where you would find one though.

get yours professionally rebuilt

Get yours rebuilt to a higher spec

Change to a larger turbo

Each option will have it's pros and cons, if you need any more information let me know.

Amy

AMY said:
A small amount of play is normal, as is a slight whistle. How much play do you have? if you are talking about 1mm or so up and down it's probably fine, usually the first thing to go is the seals which would create a lot of smoke.
If you can move the shaft back and forth, if there are any marks on the housing around the compressor wheel or if you can get the compressor wheel to touch the housing then expect to replace it. If you think that it does need replacing,

you could rebuild it yourself if you have a fair idea of mechanics, if the blades and shaft are undamaged you won't need to rebalance the assembly.

Buy a 2nd hand unit, not sure where you would find one though.

get yours professionally rebuilt

Get yours rebuilt to a higher spec

Change to a larger turbo

Each option will have it's pros and cons, if you need any more information let me know.

Amy
Thanks again Amy,theres only about 1mm of play so it will be ok for the meantime.What kind of plugs do you have in your micra?

I don't have a turbo micra so my plugs will be different. The standard plugs for your car will probably be fine.

Back