• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

SPEEDOMETER & ABS

Hi everyone, new to the forum,

Just bought an 05 1.2 for my daughter, only had it 2 days, now speedo stopped at zero while driving and ABS and brake warning light come on. Had a look around web, not too much on it apart from people saying speed sensor faulty that turns off ABS as a safety measure. Could someone tell me specifically where to find the sensor, or should I be looking at the instrument cluster?

Many thanks in advance.

Pos issue with the VSS Vehicle speed sensors, when this fails the speedometer and the ABS control module will disable the ABS system and flag the ABS and brake light to warn of a malfunction.

With this warning light being on, check the brake fluid level & that the wheel & tyre wear diameters are approx equal?

Next connect an ABS scan tool to check for malfunction codes which may indicate fault codes toward problems with the ABS?

Cross reference sensor functions & locations in Haynes Manual.

NB. Do not disconnect/reconnect sensors at random as this may induce additional faults where none previously existed.

Happy hunting, systematic fault finding. ;)

If the ABS light had come on then I would be looking at a faulty ABS sensor (they can be found behind the brakes / you'll see the wire that attaches to them) but speedo registering ZERO as well is a different ball game...... my first inclination would be to check all of the fuses in the fuse box (drivers side bottom right...... the little plastic cover that is also the access point to the OBD2 port).

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer? Either case I would recommend you go straight back with it..... that kind of thing 2 days in is the last thing you need.

Mike.

I repeat..... you've only had the car for "2" days......... get a refund / reject it...... you shouldn't have to be diagnosing faults 2 days into ownership.... that's stress city man and you haven't paid for that.

If the ABS light had come on then I would be looking at a faulty ABS sensor (they can be found behind the brakes / you'll see the wire that attaches to them) but speedo registering ZERO as well is a different ball game...... my first inclination would be to check all of the fuses in the fuse box (drivers side bottom right...... the little plastic cover that is also the access point to the OBD2 port).

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer? Either case I would recommend you go straight back with it..... that kind of thing 2 days in is the last thing you need.

Mike.
Private sale Mike, not a good experience, didn't do my homework, also cat C write off but looks like only due to front bumper, all structurally good. Anyhow, no comeback for private buying. Thanks though

engine management light is not on.
I have checked fault codes with a cheap ODB2 meter and it says no codes recorded.
I don't think it's a fuse, as it has been intermittent over the last few days.
Everything else on the car works and generally it's an ok car, sure I was peeved that the seller didn't tell me it was cat C. But benefit of the doubt it was written off before he got it supposedly off his aunt as a stop gap. He didn't seem to know about cars, and he has hardly used it looking at the Mot mileage sheets.
I will try checking the VSS cables.

Thanks everyone

engine management light is not on.
I have checked fault codes with a cheap ODB2 meter and it says no codes recorded.
I don't think it's a fuse, as it has been intermittent over the last few days.
Everything else on the car works and generally it's an ok car, sure I was peeved that the seller didn't tell me it was cat C. But benefit of the doubt it was written off before he got it supposedly off his aunt as a stop gap. He didn't seem to know about cars, and he has hardly used it looking at the Mot mileage sheets.
I will try checking the VSS cables.

Thanks everyone
Cheap OB2 code readers mostly will not address or handshake talk to ABS systems.

Thus no ABS codes found regardless of codes being present red flagged? :confused:

Yeh I agree...... I'd take the car to a local "friendly" garage and ask them to check if there are any codes present...... cost me a fiver a few years back ;)

Thanks guys, I sort of knew that my little meter wouldn't do ABS or airbag, but no other fault codes for main ECU so all good. Took to a trusted garage but even their scan tool couldn't get past the ABS code, although there is a code there. It shows a CAN communication fault with codes U1000 + U1001. He recommended an auto electrician who I've spoken to and he says he should be able to read them. I'm just hoping now that its not the ECU module.

Hopefully it will be something very minor..... have you tried resetting the ECU? disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so, it may do the job, you never know ;)

Mike.

yes disconnected the battery anyway, just to clean up terminals, and doing a general check over everything so I could get my head in the engine bay. Connected back up now still the same. HEY guess what …….NO SODDING RADIO CODE WITH THE CAR FFS!!!

I was locked out of my radio for 6 months because I entered the wrong code 3 times..... it said "wait 1hr" but that 1 hour turned out to be six months!! ;)

So im looking at buying a second hand ABS module, obviously I need to get the exact code right, my code is 0 265 800 319 (085) 38620 H0588.
On Ebay, most of the codes match except the ones after the brackets here. Does anymone know if the first digits are the part number ?