Speed camera

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
Last night i was going down a 30mph at about 35 ish, on the other side of the road there is a speed camera...as i went past the light flashed at me...would it have got me, as there was none of the markings on my side of the road?? o_O

i know i shouldnt have been speeding :(

It was on the other side of the road? - And if there wasn't any markings on the floor, I would only assume that the camera would have been unable to determine the speed at which you were driving. My personal opinion is, you don't get any points.

Krish

Club Member (Trial)
happen to me afew times now, and i think its what jinata said.
the camera wont be able to be able to accuratly record the speed your doing so dont worry to much.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah you will be fine, unless its a forward facing one, but i don't think they flash.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
dnt worry. my mate has done this b4 say sum1 else was driving. give a fake address 2 them. in worse case

How can you provide a fake address when they already know where your car is registered to? Unless you use a different home address to register your car or perhaps use someone's address for insurance purpose. you sound dodgy my friend! fwn:laugh:

Stani1029

Club Member
there doesnt have to be lines on the ground for a speed camera to be able to determine your speed. i see them all the time on roads where there are no markings, you might be lucky as it was on the other side. you'll find out soon

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
there doesnt have to be lines on the ground for a speed camera to be able to determine your speed. i see them all the time on roads where there are no markings, you might be lucky as it was on the other side. you'll find out soon

Yeah the camera doesn't need lines, but to prove how fast you were going, they probably need them there. Speed = distance/time, but without the markings to show how far you've travelled, how can they prove the speed is correct?

And a gatso can't get you if it's facing you!

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
And a gatso can't get you if it's facing you!

Yep, for UK as far as i know. Because there are a lot of forward facing ones where i come from (Hong Kong), it records the speed and your face! No more excuses of whom was driving at the time etc! :down:

Stani1029

Club Member
well i got caught speeding the other night, over 1.1miles it took me 44 seconds therefore it come out at around 87mph. they will have a similar test but over 20metres or so. and also ive seen speed cameras on the left hand side, the right hand side. on single and dual roads so i dont think it matters, and why would it flash? did it like the look of your car lol either that or someone was speeding and going in the other direction...

Just please, don't speed. Don't be one of those fags who make our insurances so damn expensive.

You slower you go, the further you get.

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Just please, don't speed. Don't be one of those fags who make our insurances so damn expensive.

You slower you go, the further you get.

Lets not get on the judgement bandwagon, its actually uninsured drivers not speeders that push up premiums....

Whoever contributes, is guilty non-the-less. I'm planning to buy a silvia s13 and my insurance for it is 2.5K TPFT. I'm willing to muster up the cash to pay it but if people drove within the constraints of the law and stopped having crashes because they drive beyond their means. The UK roads would be a happier place.

Dewgel

Buy & Sell Member
Whoever contributes, is guilty non-the-less. I'm planning to buy a silvia s13 and my insurance for it is 2.5K TPFT. I'm willing to muster up the cash to pay it but if people drove within the constraints of the law and stopped having crashes because they drive beyond their means. The UK roads would be a happier place.

Or maybe it's because you're still only 19..

Speeding has nothing to do with insurance.. People crashing into cars (be it over or under the speed limiter), breaking into cars, being more likely to crash, having more powerful cars are causing premiums to go up.

He was going about 35mph in a 30, ok? So that's a steady speed.. not really dangerous (in some opinions), however.. you're wanting to buy a Silvia? And you own a Primera 2.0, you're telling me you don't pull out from junctions with your foot all the way down and accelerate? More dangerous than a steady 35mph in a 1.0 Micra (or 1.3 if I'm mistaken)

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
I'm sorry but i can't agree that if everyone slowed down by the few mph they were going over the speed limit insurance premiums would drop. Driving at the speed limit doesn't mean your a safe driver, experience and advanced driver training benefit that, + why are you getting a car like an S13? If you ever drive fast through the twistys (what its made for) then your breaking your own code...

OP
OP
GuyH08

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
thanks for all the replies :)
so by the looks of it i got away luckily :) **phew**

iv learnt my lesson tho :( i was scared for a second lol

Or maybe it's because you're still only 19..

Speeding has nothing to do with insurance.. People crashing into cars (be it over or under the speed limiter), breaking into cars, being more likely to crash, having more powerful cars are causing premiums to go up.

He was going about 35mph in a 30, ok? So that's a steady speed.. not really dangerous (in some opinions), however.. you're wanting to buy a Silvia? And you own a Primera 2.0, you're telling me you don't pull out from junctions with your foot all the way down and accelerate? More dangerous than a steady 35mph in a 1.0 Micra (or 1.3 if I'm mistaken)

Speeding = more likely to crash, young driver = speed = crash. It's simply true, hence why my insurance is high on an S13. And in a way it is dangerous, the time it stops from 35 is longer than it is at 30. Also, I don't pull out from junctions like the way you've stated.

I'm sorry but i can't agree that if everyone slowed down by the few mph they were going over the speed limit insurance premiums would drop. Driving at the speed limit doesn't mean your a safe driver, experience and advanced driver training benefit that, + why are you getting a car like an S13? If you ever drive fast through the twistys (what its made for) then your breaking your own code...

Regardless of which car I'm driving, I drive within the speed limit. It doesn't matter how big of an engine I'm using, if I smashed into someone because I was speeding, even a little, and ended up killing someone. I would probably kill myself through guilt. I don't need to experience the consequences of this kind of thing to know it's not worth the extra MPH on top of the set limit. I'm not even talking about a couple of miles an hour, I'm just speaking in general that most young drivers that drive like idiots make insurance premiums for YOUNG people more expensive. My next door neighbor has only driven for a year, and he has already written off 2 brand new cars. He's a speed freak, and there are plenty of young drivers out there that follow this example.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Speeding = more likely to crash, young driver = speed = crash. It's simply true, hence why my insurance is high on an S13.

No

A 1.0 micra, cheap insurance, is capable of doing 100mph. 100mph in a micra is still the same as 100 in an S13. The difference in premium is because young people in POWERFUL cars tends to cause more accidents, nothing to do with the speed they're being driven at. People can't control them. RWD in the wet etc, you don't have to be speeding to lose control

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
No

A 1.0 micra, cheap insurance, is capable of doing 100mph. 100mph in a micra is still the same as 100 in an S13. The difference in premium is because young people in POWERFUL cars tends to cause more accidents, nothing to do with the speed they're being driven at. People can't control them. RWD in the wet etc, you don't have to be speeding to lose control

totally agree,

problem is that the stats don't show that.

No

The young driver's tendency to speed regardless of which car it is, is what makes it hard for insurance companies to trust them with any thing more powerful than box standard low displacement vehicle. Also, no, you don't have to be speeding to lose control, but this seems to be the case in situations.

This isn't no personal dig to any one on the forums, I'm sure there are 80% of people here who are better drivers than I am.

karlos09

Club Member (Trial)
Just to change the emphasis somewhat:
With Gatso cameras I believe they take 2 photos half a second apart. The vehicle's speed is measured by some kind of radar device. To "prove" how fast you were going beyond reasonable doubt the markings on the road are supposed to show how far you have travelled in half a second.
My question is how can we be sure it was exactly 0.5 seconds. Just a slight discrepancy here would make a huge difference to the resulting perceived speed. For example 0.6 secs would result in a 20% increase in distance covered.
How can we be sure they got this variable right?

I'm not paranoid btw :)