Speed bumps

My Micra is 13 months old now. Approx 8K miles On my route to work 5 miles. I pass over at least a dozen speed bumps and raised tables each way.

I find that unless I slow down to an absolute crawl the suspension or possibly engine mounts or anti roll bar make the most annoying noises. Noises are worst when its been raining, ie when the car gets wet underneath.
I have complained to nissan who replaced the top engine mount. (Quite a big job) to be honnest the mount was perfectly functional, just it was obvious with the bonnet up that if you gave the engine a shake the mount ommitted a quacking noise. Replacing this improved things only slightly. The car needs a little more of a shake than you can do one person with a hand on the engine to make the other mounts / parts of suspension squeek but pot holes and speed bumps cause squa-eee-aww-ee-aww noises, its not entirely obvous where the noises are comming from , seems to be lower central rear area of engine bay, maybe bottom engine mount or roll bar mounts???

I dont recall noticing the squeeks for the first 9 month of ownership, but now I do notice them.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of suspension noise from the front??????

I guess my car might be worse than most as I have the CVT and fully loaded TEKNA trim so car is heavier than lower spec cars by about 100Kg
Also should say I sound insulated the doors and other large pannels using dynamat extreme. (not adding any significant weight 'about 10KG' ) but making the car noticably quieter as I like a quite car, frustratingly this makes the suspension noise even more aparent now because excluded other noises - cured the wind noise around the front doors and reduced engine noise in the cabin.

I should also say the noise is with only me in the car and Im not particularly heavy.

....and that noise is worst when leaving raised traffic tables when the suspension extends, although noise is heard on both suspension compression and extension.

This is not my first car, or families only car or my first car to use on this particular route to work and Ive not had similar noises from other cars.

SplanK

Site Supporter
I have noticved on my DIG-S manual that if I take a slightly raised section (bit like a ramp, but made with curb's) in my home street at at a good pace (being 20mph ish) I get like a "quack/rattle" type noise. I have never noticed it anywhere else other than this bump as its quite sharp and loads both sides of the front suspension at the same time.

Not sure if its a fault or not, but I will be discussing it with the service desk next time it goes in for a service.

OP
OP
G
Yes, when both sides of suspension are loaded at same time.
Although Id say anything over 10mph, maybe even sometimes at 5mph.

I had the same issue in the first 300 kms. I bought it brand new. The dealer replaced the front left suspension. Some suspension strut (damper) fail very fast. Now I have 8500 kms and no sounds at all.

I had same issue, horrible squeeze when passing speed bumps. These noises started at about 40 000 kms (now 52 kms driven) at winter when it was about -10 degrees, when it was warm there weren't any noises. Anyway Nissan dealer changed the anti-roll bar, now I haven't heard those noises for a while, but few days ago I thought that I heard some squeezing (it was quite cold), so need to watch it for a while.

I had same issue, horrible squeeze when passing speed bumps. These noises started at about 40 000 kms (now 52 kms driven) at winter when it was about -10 degrees, when it was warm there weren't any noises. Anyway Nissan dealer changed the anti-roll bar, now I haven't heard those noises for a while, but few days ago I thought that I heard some squeezing (it was quite cold), so need to watch it for a while.

I have the same ‘noisy problem’ but the cause is the dashboard plastic (near usb/ipod plug)

OP
OP
G
That's just a dashboard squeek, sounds like an easy place to daignose/fix. Could be caused by use of dashboard shine or spilt coffee? Some squeeks are hard to fix like back of dash where meets a pillars but where you say seems easier to deal with. What we have noticed is from suspension or most likely the antiroll bar as suggested.

Sent from BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk