Speakers install in K12 front and rear - quality

Just installed new front speakers, thinking it would improve quality.
Pioneer G-Series TS-G1720F

The sound is very bad, tinny and no bass.

Any advice about this? They were off Ebay but a big company, perhaps they are cheap copies, or just not good quality enough. Thinking of putting them in the back , and the old speakers in the front, but its a lot of work.

Thanks

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I have Pioneer speakers from Germany & UK, my friend said few days ago, you don't have original sound system?!
Just speakers are changed, I added rubber foam speaker rings to all four speakers and they are bolted to chassis with plywood 'rings'.

From my blog => -06 Micra 160SR of Mika The Finn

In last autumn I upgraded original speakers to Pioneer TS-G1723i 17cm 6.5" 3-way in rear, Pioneer TS-G1722i 17cm 6.5" 2-way front ones will follow when weather warms up in here. At same time I started sound proofing of noisy rear section in these vehicles, but yearly winter season with cold weather interrupted it. So whole winter time I had tiny Micra van, cause I removed back seat and interior rear side panels in order to do sound proofing :) Miraculously spacious van, when rear seat is off.
In addition on left side under drives seat nestles Pioneer TS-WX120A Active Subwoofer 150 Watt, I made a base for it from wood and this way it stays in place with out screws. Enough of sound system improvement to my preference & wallet :rolleyes:

Under rear speakers I made anti rattle rings from 20mm plywood, old trick to get rid of rattle noises after new speakers have been installed. They reinforce speaker surroundings when speakers-thin body metal-plywood bolted all together.

Micra%20rear%20speaker_4_zpsfehv4fak.jpg

Micrarearspeaker_zps6f47349d.jpg

OP
OP
T
Thanks for the information.
Is it easy to install rear speakers to a K12?
Is wiring there or does it have to be put in?
Does the stereo handle 4 speakers?

Thank you

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Is it easy to install rear speakers to a K12?
Is wiring there or does it have to be put in?
Does the stereo handle 4 speakers?

Thank you
In front, remove door panels => change connectors, original on wire harness connectors doesn't work => make adapters for speakers => bolt & connect => Install door panels back.
Repeat in rear and you are done.
Micra of mine is 160SR, no problem repeating music, friend of mine was surprised about sound quality on tiny Micra.
Good enough for my hifi needs.
I also added sub-woofer and sound deadening mat to inside of doors and rear side panels.
Parcel shelf got same treatment, trunk is like church, it's a good place for echoing.
No more those teenage sound system upgrade rattling noises from body panels! ;)

OP
OP
T
That looks great.
Thanks but is the wiring there for the back speakers or does it have to be put in by myself?
Will the original stereo handle 4 speakers without a problem?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
160SR's do have wiring/speakers on rear by Nissan, you need to inspect do you have rear wires.
Mine has basically 7 speakers. Original 2 tweeters on dash. 2 now 2-way speakers on doors.
2 now 3-way speakers in rear and sub-woofer under drivers seat.

Original stereo will handle 4 speakers without a problem.

How many speakers you have now in your Micra vehicle?

Have you checked, does your present stereo have 2 or 4 speaker connections in back?

If 2, connect as picture shows, you will loose left-right balance adjustment but, is it actually even needed?!
You still can adjust front-rear balance.

How-to-Connect-Four-Speakers-To-A-2-Channel-Amp-696x504.jpg

Last edited:
What stereo are you using? My experience of car and home hi-fi systems over the years is that the amplifier is more important than the speakers, I've had a £1000 amp with cheap speakers that sounds a lot better than £1000 speakers with a cheap amp. I would always upgrade the amp before the speakers.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
What stereo are you using? My experience of car and home hi-fi systems over the years is that the amplifier is more important than the speakers, I've had a £1000 amp with cheap speakers that sounds a lot better than £1000 speakers with a cheap amp. I would always upgrade the amp before the speakers.
Micra original Blaupunkt 6-CD Changer/Radio?! ;)
Enough for my music needs! :unsure:

Picture from eBay...
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Micra original Blaupunkt 6-CD Changer/Radio?! ;)
Enough for my music needs! :unsure:

Picture from eBay...
s-l1600.jpg
I don't know what the power output for this unit is (usually quoted as "4 x RMS watts", perhaps another user who has it can comment on it's abilities to power multiple speakers! Might be worth googling the model number to see what the output is.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I don't know what the power output for this unit is (usually quoted as "4 x RMS watts", perhaps another user who has it can comment on it's abilities to power multiple speakers! Might be worth googling the model number to see what the output is.
I don't know either what is power out put of this unit. Like I said, good enough for my audio needs.
Unit is capable to power 6 (original) speakers in my Micra vehicle, sub-woofer has its own amplifier.

Well, please enlighten us by Google results?! :unsure:;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
This K12 comes with original stereo, I haven't opened up the back to see if there are wires for additional speakers.

Most interesting.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
This K12 comes with original stereo, I haven't opened up the back to see if there are wires for additional speakers.

Most interesting.
Please post picture of your stereo?
Most likely exactly same stereo is available on eBay, good sellers have pictures also from behind stereo?! :unsure:;)

OP
OP
T
Here is a picture of my stereo.

Anyway I can tell if there are wires to back speakers?

thanks

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 198
Its just the normal 2 front, 2 rear as with 90% of stereos. If you want more speakers connected to it, get a splitter thing, crossover and hide it in the doorcard

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
If you have stereo like in pictures that I attached.
You have 4 speakers installed to your Micra vehicle by Nissan.
Just find speakers/cables and change connectors to connect them to your replacement speakers.
And you are done! ;)

OK, thanks for the info!

What is a splitter, what is a crossover?
If you wanted to use a tweeter with your normal wiring for example, you use a 'crossover' that takes the signal normally going to your standard speaker, separates it into multiple bands - for example, basic ones take the signal, send the majority of the sound to the big speaker, and then send just the treble signals to the tweeter. By splitter, I just meant taking the wires and separating each out by just adding a new bit of wire into them somewhere along them, which isn't really great unless you are connecting it to 2 identical speakers in the same door. I really recommend reading up on some basic generic car audio stuff, I'm not trying to attack you for being a novice since I'm no better, but I wouldn't worry about adding an amp and woofers before you've first got decent door speakers and tweeters, even just to use them as a way of getting used to wiring. Plus they are a lot cheaper than subs and amps, won't get stolen (although not likely to happen anymore anyway with amps), your insurance are way less likely to say 'oh that's modified, we won't pay out', doesn't take up space in the boot, and in general is just way easier to get 95% of the sound quality for 10% of the work

OP
OP
T
Thank you for the info, very useful!
Will use this.

One more thing..

You say I have 4 speakers installed in my K12, but I've never heard two in the back.

Are you sure 4 speakers are pre-installed in the K12?

Thank you

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Thank you for the info, very useful!
Will use this.

One more thing..

You say I have 4 speakers installed in my K12, but I've never heard two in the back.

Are you sure 4 speakers are pre-installed in the K12?

Thank you
Have you checked, do you have round grills in rear section of your Micra vehicle? :unsure:

If you wanted to use a tweeter with your normal wiring for example, you use a 'crossover' that takes the signal normally going to your standard speaker, separates it into multiple bands - for example, basic ones take the signal, send the majority of the sound to the big speaker, and then send just the treble signals to the tweeter. By splitter, I just meant taking the wires and separating each out by just adding a new bit of wire into them somewhere along them, which isn't really great unless you are connecting it to 2 identical speakers in the same door. I really recommend reading up on some basic generic car audio stuff, I'm not trying to attack you for being a novice since I'm no better, but I wouldn't worry about adding an amp and woofers before you've first got decent door speakers and tweeters, even just to use them as a way of getting used to wiring. Plus they are a lot cheaper than subs and amps, won't get stolen (although not likely to happen anymore anyway with amps), your insurance are way less likely to say 'oh that's modified, we won't pay out', doesn't take up space in the boot, and in general is just way easier to get 95% of the sound quality for 10% of the work

Or just simply use 3-way speakers, no need for crossover...?! :unsure: :rolleyes:

I did find out after replacing my rainbow speakers that had been in the front of the car a couple of years with audison prima that the wiring connector for the oe speaker loom was wired incorrectly (the opposite way)so there was less bass from the speakers.

OP
OP
T
Interesting - will check this

I'm going to put back the Blaupunk speakers the car came with, better than the Panasonics I bought to replace them.

Thank you