Speaker Question (Don't you love them)

Hiii,

I have a 2001 K11. I understand the mounting depth for the front speakers is 54mm maximum. I've found some speakers I want to buy (Alpine SPS-17C2) to replace the stock ones... but as these things go I believe they have a mounting depth of 56mm.

Your initial reaction I am sure will be "well 56mm > 54mm so obviously they won't fit d'oh" (mine was!)... but... I believe they come with this mounting bracket to help you fit them. See the pictures on this page. To me it looks like they add (at least 2mm) clearance.

I'm looking for someone's valued opinion on whether I can safely buy these speakers and not have any fitting problems :grinning:

I can't find any diagrams for the speakers showing the mounting depth, and whether the 56mm states includes the clearance made from the bracket.

id go for em mate, worse case is your have to re drill ne hols in the panel, takes a bout 10 seconds per hole and the cost of the right size drill bit, i dunno 2 quid? nice speakers though,

ive got some fli's lying around i will put in but they hit the runner for the window, :(

easiest way is to cut out a circle in sat 12mm mdf and bolt that to the car then bolt the speaker to it, anythings possible if you add time patience and the right attitude towards it, good luck bud :)

you could fit some supports to just push the mounting depth that little bit further perhaps?

let us know if you go ahead though the speakers arent bad according to specification and have decent noise output (although no specified thd)

Hey have an update as promised.
Speakers wouldn't fit straight in place of the stock ones (as expected) as the mounting depth was too big, but after drilling a few holes to fit the brackets for the Alpines everything was plain sailing (Y)
A snug fit and probably as good as I'm going to get without getting into amps and subs.

Thanks

Back