Spark Plug Opinions

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Just curious what peoples opinions are to grade of spark plug needed for forced induction.

most mention using NGK's (guessing cos of cost) but what about temp rating...is it necessary to run one or two stages colder or is the stock setup fine.

not alot of forced micras about so solid info a bit thin on the ground, so worth a shot (trying to avoid the trial and error approach) :)

Cheers.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
not sure about the temp but i know the irridium core ones are the sparks of choice for charged micras

frank

Club Member
solarice

i think the cg,s are pretty forgiving anyway, the exhaust valve,s in my old super s were rusty brown, with no carbon deposit at all (i must have got them cherry red :eek: ), because i "guessed" the gas mixture (without the lambda volt-meter on the dash)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Use NGK BCR7ES. Iridium etc are a waste of money.

Ed

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Stock Nissan is apparently BKR5E-11 (on NGK site)...cant find the code youve put up Ed :)

so im assuming youre suggesting go two stages colder... :)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
NGK BCR7ES are the stock Pulsar plugs if I remember correctly and will be perfect for your setup :)

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
My cars stock ones used to get fouled very quickly so I bought some heat rang 8 NGK iridium think it was £30 for the pack. Really good made the idle better and felt smoother too.

But as Ed said you can use the normal ones too shouldn't make a difference as long as the heatrange is 7-8.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
FYI iridium plugs give me 100x the grief of normal plugs. If a plug fouls up then the heat range is too cool and you need to use a hotter plug - OR you run to rich on a certain part of the map.

Is it worth going one range cooler (more heat dissipation) for a NA cg13de with higher compression (cg10 flat top pistons) and 774 cams? Or just see how the standard plugs go?

The installation manual for my supercharger says to fit +2 heat rating plugs, NGK Iridium LFR7AIX. Original plug is NGK LFR5E-11 is 5 in a CR14DE.