• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

Congratulations on having one of the nicest Micras around :)

Questio is it your Micra, in its former days on the MSC homepage? The white one (duh) with the aftermarket wheels on? If so what were the wheels I got a 3 door and looking for the same style alloys :p

Ta and keep up the work fantastic thread ;)

Bingo ;) it's the ideal afr for optimum combustion

No, its the point for optimum cat efficiency.

BTW the e-manage really doesn't work well with the stock ECU, as your finding out. I've said this before, but its a bad compromise at best.

That's why you never see any turbo K11's I've done with an e-manage on it, and have indeed ditched the stock ecu entirely for another one of a different car for example, without all the quirks of the stock ecu.

Your target AFR should be about 12:1 to 11.8:1 at WOT from as soon as positive manifold pressure is seen at WOT.

No, its the point for optimum cat efficiency.

BTW the e-manage really doesn't work well with the stock ECU, as your finding out. I've said this before, but its a bad compromise at best.

That's why you never see any turbo K11's I've done with an e-manage on it, and have indeed ditched the stock ecu entirely for another one of a different car for example, without all the quirks of the stock ecu.

Your target AFR should be about 12:1 to 11.8:1 at WOT from as soon as positive manifold pressure is seen at WOT.

I'm not questioning your knowledge ed as I know you can destroy my mapping knowledge in a second but stoich existed long before cats were on cars? My car still has to have stoich on a carb with no cat? So how can it be anything to do with a cat?
I was taught term stoichiometric ratio describes the chemically correct air-fuel ratio necessary to achieve complete combustion of the fuel.

Optimum combustion is rather subjective. Optimum combustion could mean maximum power, maximum mpg, minimum emissions, all of which will be different depending on the engine in question.

Stochiometric combustion, (theoretical combustion), is considered to be the ideal combustion process where fuel is burned completely, (simply a balanced chemical equation).

Since catalytic converters are designed to function optimally at 'stoich', both statements can infact be considered true.

And yes, piggyback ecu's are very much about compromise, especially with the K11 ecus.

I'm not questioning your knowledge ed as I know you can destroy my mapping knowledge in a second but stoich existed long before cats were on cars? My car still has to have stoich on a carb with no cat? So how can it be anything to do with a cat?
I was taught term stoichiometric ratio describes the chemically correct air-fuel ratio necessary to achieve complete combustion of the fuel.

That's because it coincides as Dave said with the least emissions, or rather the best overall compromise between NOx, CO, CO2 and HC.

As it happens more complete combustion happens (If your simple interested in the amount of HC left) at around 14:1, not 14.7.

Optimum combustion is rather subjective. Optimum combustion could mean maximum power, maximum mpg, minimum emissions, all of which will be different depending on the engine in question.

Stochiometric combustion, (theoretical combustion), is considered to be the ideal combustion process where fuel is burned completely, (simply a balanced chemical equation).

Since catalytic converters are designed to function optimally at 'stoich', both statements can infact be considered true.

And yes, piggyback ecu's are very much about compromise, especially with the K11 ecus.

That's because it coincides as Dave said with the least emissions, or rather the best overall compromise between NOx, CO, CO2 and HC.

As it happens more complete combustion happens (If your simple interested in the amount of HC left) at around 14:1, not 14.7.

A right I see what your saying now ;)

Congratulations on having one of the nicest Micras around :)

Questio is it your Micra, in its former days on the MSC homepage? The white one (duh) with the aftermarket wheels on? If so what were the wheels I got a 3 door and looking for the same style alloys :p

Ta and keep up the work fantastic thread ;)

In the B&W banner? yup thats mine, cant say what the alloys are im afraid only know they were made in the UK.

Actually I'll have a double check as i've got them nearby, but pretty sure made in UK is all thats on them.

*few mins later* nah no make on them.

specs are 6j x 15 et40 (could have sworn they were 7's but apparently not)

Its just a lambda issue with the stock ecu, works pretty much fine without it (imo)...yeah its a compromise and yeah you could probably fit a standalone. When i started all this the e-manage was praised all the time. Plus i like problem solving :D

You don't usually see them running an e-manage now, but we did in the earlier days...they just didn't hang around very long and not alot of people tried mapping with them.

iirc fitting a 1.6 ecu is another way around it (which ive got sitting here) but so far i've not seen the need to try it out.

The AFR, right now is around 11.5 at its most rich which will get pulled back as is needed. :)

Fitting a 1.6 ecu is not a way around it. Those can't even be remapped internally. Of all the ECUs out there for what I do the 1.6 ECUs are the least capable.

My experienec differs I guess with e-manage. True people up north tried them, and in AUS. but none lasted long as the stock ECU posed so many issues that the e-manage made worse. When I first tried one sersiouly on a NA K11 (Daves infact) it was so inconsistant we just binned it and remapped the stock ECU instead (and spent many many hours working out the faults in them)

I can now get them working fine with a lambda sensor and with any other number of mods too, but its still not perfect. For getting them spot on I use an entirely different Nissan ECU like on Scopez one.

Im sure i read somewhere about using the 1.6 and e-manage together (can't remember where though)...not really an issue as im not gonna be fitting it (i've seen enough wires for the time being). :)

Yeah i've also noticed my findings seem different, dunno what to tell you about that.

Is the lambda issue you've sorted actually on the micra ecu though or other cars?...just curious as, as i understand it different ecu's track the lambda signals differently, with some ignoring it after a set point. Something the micra ecu doesnt seem to do (going from my limited testing).

Figured i'd dust off this thread...

A few updates that are in progress:

1. Oil catch tank using the power steering fluid location (should work and look stockish). Just need to raid the scrapyard for a couple of bits.

2. SR20 maf has arrived just need to fine tune the inlet and loom then i can fit and update the emanage.

3. CA18 throttle body has been sitting around here for awhile, as im changing the maf i may aswell upgrade the throttle body.

4. Adapter needs making up for the CA18, idle valve etc (just need to source some cheap alu).

About the throttle body, i know the idle control valve can be relocated (micra.com.au say run without it) but im guessing the fine idle adjustment at the back is just chucked in favour of tweaks else where?...seems the most logical.

Should have most of this sorted soon and i can see about working out cost for a boost increase...probs make it an even 10psi as it puts the supercharger around its stock spec output. (if its cheap enough to do).

Tiny Update.

Just a couple of pics of the finished CG/CA18 Throttle body...really easy to make this fit.

I decided to make up a spacer that brings the CA18 throttle body upto the CG's TB height, so i could fit the aux air valve in the stock position.

Main thing is to rotate the CA18's throttle cam (probs the same for sr20) by 90ish degress iirc. You just need to cut a new keyway, in the pic its not set at the full 90ish this was changed later on...if its not set correctly you have slack in the throttle cable, so no full throttle and adjustment is impossible.

Apart from that only issue i had was the lack of throttle sensor (its was missing on the CA18 -- not sure if the stock one is compatible?), so i just made the CG one fit...a quick throttle cable hybrid bracket was made up, to keep everything stockish / compact looking.

The small catch tank is mounted in the engine bay (see pic -- I abandoned the plastic option as it wasnt air tight enough for my needs), just need a few hose connectors to finish installing.

CG13-CA18_ThrottleBody_01.jpg

CG13-CA18_ThrottleBody_02.jpg

CatchTank.jpg

Not sure on testing the differnce as i've got to solve the maf fitment issue first. :)

when are you going to bring it to JAE!!!!!?!?!?

nice idea with the TB mod, it will be interesting to see what gains there is

when are you going to bring it to JAE!!!!!?!?!?

nice idea with the TB mod, it will be interesting to see what gains there is

Wish i could say this year (been planning on going for years now haha)...but will have to see.

Its evened up the internal diameters, so at least it removes the pinch point of the CG's Throttle body...as you say will try and see if it makes a difference on boost or not. :)

please go it would be awesome to meet up again, i go even if i don't have a micra lol, i took a volvo last year.

After a few months lol (didn't realise it was that long ago), Intake pipework is finished but so far not tested. Need to update emanage settings and setup throttle body. At the moment im gonna try running the car without the aux air valve, really just to see how it runs. Will decide from there if to connect it up or not. :)

Well after fixing a few stupid air leaks (leaving hoses disconnected :rolleyes:) and jiggling the pipework about for an extra mm here and there (yes its all that close), before finally modifying a few areas to allow extra clearance. Its all in and seems to be running fine.

Car seems more responsive and the idle although i think i may need to tweak it a bit, seems to be all ok...nice and steady. Aux air valve at the moment not being used and if the car stays running the same as it is now i dont think i'll need to connect it up.

Spent the last few hours setting up the new throttlebody...having no wax stat, idle screw or aux air valve, certainly makes things a little tricky.

Very easy to stall it out (zero throttle) when the engines cold but once its warmed up it'll sit at 650 - 700 rpm no probs. How i work around that i dunno...emanage does have an anti-stall so maybe i could use that. Its basically the difference of something like 1% throttle.

AFR's not as low as i'd like at idle, so thats something to look at...using the stock TB its at 14.7 all the time.

Supercharger is now set at roughly 40% throttle. :) (used to be on at 25%) -- Emanage percentages.

Oh and i spent at least 20mins trying to reach a bolt that fell into engine bay. It would have been 30 seconds if i didn't have all this extra stuff up front on the engine lol. Btw how do bolts / nuts always find the hidden corners to sit in ??

I feel your pain! I dropped the spring for my turbo jacket down behind the turbo, spent 15 mins trying to get it but turns out it had hit the ground like a ninja and rolled away out of sight lol

I feel your pain! I dropped the spring for my turbo jacket down behind the turbo, spent 15 mins trying to get it but turns out it had hit the ground like a ninja and rolled away out of sight lol

lol yeah i had that aswell but with a washer. Its a Conspiracy i tells ya.

Looks great and very packed!

Yeah a little more than i intended if im honest...i slightly misjudged the space, but once i got past these series of faces :eek: o_O :confused: i figured i'd just go with it lol. Luckily its all seemed to have worked out (at least as space is considered) :D

Was your manifold custom jobby matey?

Yeah had it made by a local exhaust place...mainly as the supercharger occupies far too much room. hehe.

If anyone is considering a throttle body upgrade and is unsure...i'd consider it along side a lightened flywheel as an important early upgrade.

Im was suprised just how much difference it has made to the car, on and off boost. Very worth while upgrade.

I suppose this isnt too much of a suprise as theres a few other members who've tested and gotten good results...so im just giving it a thumbs up :D

After talking with you at JAE I said I needed to go route up your thread and I read through the whole lot in one sitting today. I love the attention to detail and the amount of work and hours spent getting this car to be what it is now, fair play to you Solarice, the car is a credit to you. Also thanks again for spending so long talking with me and answering all my questions, much appreciated. :)

Sent from... My phone

After talking with you at JAE I said I needed to go route up your thread and I read through the whole lot in one sitting today. I love the attention to detail and the amount of work and hours spent getting this car to be what it is now, fair play to you Solarice, the car is a credit to you. Also thanks again for spending so long talking with me and answering all my questions, much appreciated. :)

Sent from... My phone

When a "like" appeared earlier on today i figured you were on your way to looking through the thread (hopefully you skimmed some of the random info thats not much help.) :D

While i didnt really go into much depth in the build info...some bits (or maybe all haha) are "im busy doing" and then its jumps to "look what ive made", but hopefully its given you an idea of how easy (imo) it is to do.

No problem on answering questions at JAE, was happy to try and help with any info where i could... :D

When a "like" appeared earlier on today i figured you were on your way to looking through the thread (hopefully you skimmed some of the random info thats not much help.) :D

While i didnt really go into much depth in the build info...some bits (or maybe all haha) are "im busy doing" and then its jumps to "look what ive made", but hopefully its given you an idea of how easy (imo) it is to do.

No problem on answering questions at JAE, was happy to try and help with any info where i could... :D

Heh yeah I was slowly working my way through each page post by post, leaving no post unread :p I did happen to notice more of "look what I did recently" but all of it was very easy to follow though and does look pretty easy (until I tried to find a second hand sc12 :rolleyes: )

Still would be interested in buying it if you were ever interested, would make a very sensible offer on it.... or at least what I would consider to be sensible ;)

Sent from... My phone

Yeah the supercharger was probably the hardest bit to find especially in a known good condition.

After lots of searching I tried my luck and contacted Fensport for the SC. Thats where i found that puzzle piece...which in hindsight was probably where i should have started, seeing as thats what they do. ;)

But im sure theres other options sc wise you could find, should you go that route. :D

Your project has definitely given me a lot to think about for sure mate, im pretty sure I can figure most parts out myself, to be honest it actually looks simpler to piece together than a turbo build but that's just my opinion. Personally wouldn't map it myself though, I just know I'd end up running it lean and wrecking the engine lol

Keep an eye though my plans could change yet (I change my mind more than the weather :p )

Sent from... My phone

Im usually scanning most posts on here even if i dont post, so i'll be keeping an eye on your thread. :D

I wouldnt be suprised if after all the pros and cons, the amount of work is about the same. Turbo needs oil lines etc, SC needs more brackets etc.

Either way the outcome is the same, you get a grin on your face when you're boosting. lol.

*wipes off the dust*

Well having not really touched the car (tuning wise) for months...i figured id have a spy of the car, maybe it can help me make a decision.

So a quick once over and the plugs are probably a little towards lean (cyl 1 being slightly darker than the others), overall i don't think its anything serious (afrs are normal though).

Having a spy down each plug hole cyl 2, 3 and 4 are sooty with very slight damp on the edges of the spark plug hole (only in certain spots, as if soaked from the edges)...but cyl 1 had a small pool of oil slightly bigger than the spark plug hole.

I can't say i've noticed it burning any oil, its minimal if it is. Had the car started after refitting everything and its running fine.

What you reckon, stem seals on the way out?

Well as i decided to warm the car up, it gave me the opportunity to record the exhaust note...seeing as there's no real audio (that i can remember) in existence and what with franks current exhaust experiments. :D

The first vid i tried to make was cut short after i set off a nearby car alarm, which was a surprise (i only started the car !) :eek: and then it took longer to warm up than i expected so i started again. Anyway here we go - one very rough idea of the exhaust system (this has the cat and a silencer fitted) :

The car was just about warmed up at the start of the vid which is why there's a little funkiness going on with the idle (cold weather and no idle valve etc to blame for that). One good reason to return to the stock TB setup.

So roughly the first half is with revs held about 15k the rest just idle. Revs at the end was just so i could see if there's anymore than just vapour, but its hard to tell. :)

You need to update this...Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I second that, probably my favourite car on here

Been a few months since you posted, apologies for that guys, didn't ignore you both on purpose. Can't believe how quick the years have passed.

Car is still in my possession and is still in one piece, but hasn't been driven for a while and at the moment is waiting for me to make a decision on it's fate.

lol, if it goes anywhere it'll be in parts. :D

I'd really like the opportunity to use it as a track only car, but i don't think thats really economically viable.

Back