• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

baguete

Site Supporter
Just asked a friend to find a supercharger for my project, he´s working there in UK. Hope do get all the parts needed and make a project similar to yours... (Y)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Just asked a friend to find a supercharger for my project, he´s working there in UK. Hope do get all the parts needed and make a project similar to yours... (Y)

Good luck with the hunt baguete :)

an update aswell while im here...as you will all know, it always seems like a good idea until you start :) soooo the rear arches are now in a state of alteration, just aswell this wasnt indending to be a show car lol (though gives me a good excuse to give it more grief :D) on the plus side the cars now at its lowest on the back (with the coilover thingy seat left in), which is where it should be.

Shero

Ex. Club Member
cheers man, well im making up new break lines just now as the decided to go. lol. seems a simple solution, just move the holder over, never thought of that! lol :D cheers man... also, roughly what times are you getting???

Like 1/4 mile if youve ran it or 0-60, 0-100 ect???

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
shero theres not much wiggle room but it should help you sort the issue, be prepared to spend awhile adjusting the panhard aswell. :)

tbh ive got no idea on its 0-60 etc (so much so that i cant even say if davey c is close or not lol)...mostly because the car isnt fueling properly (still - as not had the time to map it) so ive been trying not to stress the engine to much, but i'll be finding out pretty soon...fingers crossed. Its fairly quick, though 1st is useless if you try and run it on boost...i would expect a 0-60 time would be best to test starting in 2nd, not that im sure how well the car would pull. But then thats half the fun in testing :D

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Been just over a year since a post :eek:

But had a good day out with a local club meet and thought youd like to see the results. Still needs a tweak here and there (very rich up top - which is an easy fix) but as can be seen its the rpm thats running out (reaching limiter) before the power drops off :D

so cant complain hehe.

I have a vid i need to sort aswell, which will be uploaded once finished.

Attachments

• Solarice-DynoRun-K11-Micra-Supercharged-BHP.jpg
    Solarice-DynoRun-K11-Micra-Supercharged-BHP.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 717
  • Solarice-DynoRun-K11-Micra-Supercharged-AFR.jpg
    Solarice-DynoRun-K11-Micra-Supercharged-AFR.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 634

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Quicker than that, we're running 0-60 in 7.6secs and a standing 1/4 in 15.7 and only making 125bhp with 100lb/ft peak torque. Solarice should be breaking into the 6sec range to 60 and running high 14sec 1/4's with good hookup off the line on a torque curve like that.

Stani1029

Club Member
Im on my phone and cant see the attachment properly but i think it says 146 at fly? If so mines was 147 and i was hitting 14 second 1/4 miles the best being 14.7. 0-62mph was pretty damn quick also

Well done kris :)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Cheers guys, i think with a fuel tweak up top, it should maybe see 150bhp (or at least be closer) as it currently goes crazy rich and needs leaning out...thats if the limiter doesnt get in the way haha.

very happy though at the moment...think a little weight saving might start to happen, will see how i feel :D

Video is here : Supercharged Nissan Micra K11 Dyno Run

The weird boop type noise when coming off boost, that i was on about before is really easy to hear, so now you all know what i was on about :) ...sounds cool imo lol.

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
A pic courtesy of pete from JNE...pretty much shows how close it was to not getting dyno'd :D final clearance on the dyno was about 2cm iirc and that was after they'd dismantaled the place lol.

There was a good mix of cars there, shame i cant link to the page with the pics but you need to be a member to view :S

Attachments

• Solarice-SC-Micra-DynoRun.jpg
    Solarice-SC-Micra-DynoRun.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,218

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
One great looking Micra you have there Solarice, that last picture would be good for 2011 MSC Calendar I reckon.(Y) Oh and it sounds sweeeeet!grr

just read all of this, seems like you had allot of fun doing this project. have you got the niggly bits sorted yet?..
wish i had the time/money to do something like this :p..

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Tom 1.0 same here hehe the cars ride height is huge in the mag, compared to now though.

haha cheers Ashlais and wil930

Pretty much sorted the niggly bits yeah (of those i can remember about anyway)...just finished tweaking the rear arches, again (as of an hour ago) :D now it looks like it'll sit where i want it (shockers seem to bottom out before the wheels hit the body, which is a change hehe). Cant test though thanks to the snow. :(

Mapping is still being tweaked but its probs always gonna be on going.

...most of the parts used in the build were either second hand / scrap yard, ebay specials or happened to find / get cheap while talking to various people at exhaust, tuning shops. So money was kept in my pocket as much as possible...Time though yeah you need some of that lol.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
solarice, think its time you updated your avatar :) ha ha

Your car is truely awesome in every aspect, muchos respectos to you

damn its clean!! how much respray cost you mate?

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
yeah, but i'm having to scrape for insurance for a bog standard 1.0 :( (problem with being 17) so, this'll have to be left a few years :glare:

Yeah your insurance will try and get you being 17 :)

solarice, think its time you updated your avatar :) ha ha

Your car is truely awesome in every aspect, muchos respectos to you

damn its clean!! how much respray cost you mate?

haha yeah, so far never got around to it lol...it polishes up quite nicely looks neater in the pics (imo) as its picked up battle damage, but im not that bothered as its not a show car...shows its being driven (thats my reasoning anyway, helps me sleep haha).

Respray wasnt that much...tbh i cant remember exactly how much it was...i'd sanded virtually all of the car and dismantled it as much as a legally get away with to drive it there, so they had less to do. Prepping yourself helps loads though on cost.

Ive just read all the way through this project and ive got to say some proper respect has to be given to you Solarice this is a legend project top marks mate!! (Y)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
An update...

Some may have read i've been toying with idea of letting the stock ecu have some say, by reconnecting the lambda sensor to the stock ecu...well thats now done and its controlled by the SC setup so when on boost, lambda is turned off. On cruise its jumping around 14.7 sometimes 16's?...but i guess that could be pedal fluctuations.

Now the confusing part...14.7 AFR with lambda, feels slower than 14.7 AFR without lambda. But the really confusing part, at WOT the car now overfuels insanely.

Still the same fuel map, only difference is the stock ecu has a lambda feed up until it hits boost. So i can only assume the ecu is registering the fault and protecting the engine? However it seems strange that it doesnt do this when the lambda is missing all the time.

So im at a crossroads, i either adjust the fuel map to bring it back where i want it (no idea if the stock ecu will allow this yet)...or i remove the lambda signal completely and go back to where i was before i started :doh:

If anyone has any thoughts about the findings lemme know. :D

frank

Club Member
cant you have a switch on the throttle that disconnects the lambda feed on anything over 1/4 throttle or whatever kris ?

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Hmm tricky one, what management you using? I'd suggest mapping it correctly, you'd save money I the long run I'd imagine, if your over fueling so badly I'd guess your not producing the most power from the engine and wasting fuel, and with the current price of fun juice wasting it is not what you want to do :(

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
cant you have a switch on the throttle that disconnects the lambda feed on anything over 1/4 throttle or whatever kris ?

Yeah frank thats how ive just set it up :) (lambda and sc now both operated on throttle position -- one off, one on)

gtsnissanb, yup thats why i figured i'd give the stock ecu another look in seeing as it really likes to keep things in around stoich.

Btw fuel map, is blank across cruise now with just the boost sections filled (like you're supposed to with a piggyback)...just seems odd that with lambda running on cruise and then when it looses that feed i.e. hitting the set throttle position...its upping the fueling.

I can only assume the stock ecu is overfueling itself for protection and then the emanage is putting fuel on top. What i dont get is why it doesnt do this when the lambda has been removed from the very start.

All tests carried out with a full reset ecu (battery disconnected for a bit).

The car doesnt feel good while its overfueling (different feeling to how it does it without lambda), not sure if its the extra fuel or if the stock ecu is also fiddling with the ignition...its seriously down on power. :)

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Yeah frank thats how ive just set it up :)

gtsnissanb, yup thats why i figured i'd give the stock ecu another look in seeing as it really likes to keep things in around stoich.

Btw fuel map, is blank across cruise now with just the boost sections filled (like you're supposed to with a piggyback)...just seems odd that with lambda running on cruise and then when it looses that feed i.e. hitting the set throttle position...its upping the fueling.

I can only assume the stock ecu is overfueling itself for protection and then the emanage is putting fuel on top. What i dont get is why it doesnt do this when the lambda has been removed from the very start.

All tests carried out with a full reset ecu (battery disconnected for a bit).

The car doesnt feel good while its overfueling (different feeling to how it does it without lambda), not sure if its the extra fuel or if the stock ecu is also fiddling with the ignition...its seriously down on power. :)

:s very unusual indeed! Maybe it's time to get a standalone? Or nistune don't understand why the piggyback isn't sorting it?

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
:s very unusual indeed! Maybe it's time to get a standalone? Or nistune don't understand why the piggyback isn't sorting it?

Thats the thing, the piggyback works fine 100% when i dont let the stock ecu get any lambda feed...sorting cruise is more hassle (the main reason im looking to cheat lol) but apart from that.

Can only be the stock ecu meddling. Think my plan may have back fired lol. Nah no standalone going on, will just make the piggy work...even if i have to remove my new wiring. :D

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Thats the thing, the piggyback works fine 100% when i dont let the stock ecu get any lambda feed...sorting cruise is more hassle (the main reason im looking to cheat lol) but apart from that.

Can only be the stock ecu meddling. Think my plan may have back fired lol. Nah no standalone going on, will just make the piggy work...even if i have to remove my new wiring. :D

Lol must be or a dodgy lambda sensor

frank

Club Member
What i dont get is why it doesnt do this when the lambda has been removed from the very start.
i have something similar when i switch the 2nd coolant sensor on or off kris (not the fuel enrichment trick i had previously, it just forces the ecu into closed loop when the engine is still cold if you run the 2 sensors together)
but if you switch it back to 1 sensor it doesnt revert to coldstart (like as if the ecu had booted up with what was there at the start and was sticking with it :eek:)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Lambdas fine im using a simulated signal from the wideband ;)

like as if the ecu had booted up with what was there at the start and was sticking with it :eek:

I could go along with that.

If its just fuel its altering i can get around that (as its super rich, so leaning it out is easy), if its also ignition then it'll be easier to just revert to lambdaless...and map the emanage more like a standalone.

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
solarice; said:
just revert to lambdaless...and map the emanage more like a standalone.
this sounds worth a try at least, worst that can happen is it doesn't work
What I don't get is has it always done this? Or just started

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
this sounds worth a try at least, worst that can happen is it doesn't work
What I don't get is has it always done this? Or just started

Ive been mapping more like a standalone and lambdaless all the time.

But have always wanted to let the stock ecu handle cruise (more likely to save fuel imo)...so ive only just wired it up to give it a try. Just seems like the micra ecu may have more input than i thought (and i know it has alot already lol) :D

So technically its only just started doing it, but only because ive made it do it. So its a fault/issue of my own doing, i suppose.

Wirecutters at dawn is an increasing possibility.

frank

Club Member
how about you try a switch on the lambda feed first kris ? so you could warm the car up lambda-less then switch it in fulltime (with the pedal switch also)

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Ive been mapping more like a standalone and lambdaless all the time.

But have always wanted to let the stock ecu handle cruise (more likely to save fuel imo)...so ive only just wired it up to give it a try. Just seems like the micra ecu may have more input than i thought (and i know it has alot already lol) :D

So technically its only just started doing it, but only because ive made it do it. So its a fault/issue of my own doing, i suppose.

Wirecutters at dawn is an increasing possibility.

Ah right I understand now I thought it was a fault that had developed doh! Should have read further back! My guess it that the two must be clashing failing mapping the fault out you may need physical intervention as Frank said :)
Still I'd have expected it would beable to sort it out as that's what piggybacks are for. But I know they ain't stand alones and they do have their limitations

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
No worries gtsnissanb, yeah you'd think something could be sorted. :)

I'll pull a wire until the cars warmed up and then reconnect and see what happens. :) If anything it'll cover the third (and last?) possible route.

Got the battery disconnected already.

I'll adjust my fuel map after i test the above, and see how it feels / reacts...like said worst case it gets reverted.

Will update tomorrow.

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Had the chance to test a few things.

1. Connect the lambda only after the cars warmed up.

Result : Car quickly reverts to lambda as if it was there from the start. (same fueling issue appears).

---

2. Adjusted additional fuel map (in emanage) to compensate for the large amounts of overfuelling.

Result : Seems to make no difference, seems to overfuel by the same amount even when pulling alot of additional fuel. (I'll admit i did'nt pull more than half the additional fuel, but i'd have expected to see some AFR changes and unfortunatly it didnt appear to be happening...probably because of the 1.6 injectors being fired as if they were stock.)

---

Seems to only come back to life once the lambda is completely gone, so i may just focus on that route and lean out the cruise sections accordingly (im not that far off tbh)...just more hassle. :p

Summary (based on my observations):

If the lambda is always fed to the stock ecu and you're adding additional fuel, the stock ecu will lean out the car.

If you disconnect the lambda during running (e.g. on boost) to try and fool it, while adding additional fuel, the stock ecu goes off the chart rich.

No lambda sensor connected, the stock ecu doesnt seem to care and you can add / remove fuel without any problems.

---

You might be able to workout some kinda voltage clamp to fool the ecu into thinking its always at stoich (when you want to add additional fuel), no idea what that would do to it accessing the ignition side of things though. And as of yet ive not attempted to look into it. :)

This test goes for the earlier micras, no idea how the different ecus etc will react, so unfortunatly you're on your own with those. :)

frank

Club Member
always willing to impart valuable info as usual thanks kris (Y)
it seems the ecu has no bounds to pull the injectors back to stoich ( fueltrim aint it)
apart from when it goes open loop, at and above a certain acceleration rate (where fitting the right size injectors have a marked effect)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Hopefully it'll help someone...providing it can be recreated and its not just the stock ecu on mine haha.

Yeah i can only assume one way its making sure the AFR is always correct and the other its just making sure the engine survives the perceived lambda fault (which i suppose is why fuel economy goes out the window with a dodgy lambda).

Which i guess you can't blame it for...though i secretly do. :D

Still dont totally understand why it acts differently if no lambda is there all the time, but i'll just accept its little quirks lol.