snapped clutch cable

Since I did the conversion the clutch has been really heavy, so not surprisingly the cable let go. I had to drive about 3 miles without clutch :( It's so bloody heavy that my mum can't even drive the car because her muscles ache after the ride, which is quite good as she doesn't wanna drive it. :)
What could it be due to? I know the bearing is probably ****ed as I can hear it, does that matter? what else could it be? Can the route of the cable matter? Thank you

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
my cables nice n loose, pedal near floor
i press clutch 3-4 cm to the floor change gears,,,,,with short throw gear stick you know what that means?,,no one wants a meet

i do know what that means, also did have a look where it snapped yet. got replacement from the scrap yard but dont wanna repair it before the problem is solved. anyone?

frank

Club Member
you need to check if it was chafing anywhere first george (did you fit the stock baulkhead socket/bracket ?)
and use a lever to swing the clutch arm to see how heavy it is

you need to check if it was chafing anywhere first george (did you fit the stock baulkhead socket/bracket ?)
and use a lever to swing the clutch arm to see how heavy it is

I didnt fit the bracket, as far as i remember i was getting annoyed by it because i couldnt get to it because of the loom, so i just left it. I though that could be an issue.
So you think the route of the cable could be a problem? I got the box and the lot of martin and he said it was all ok, although he game me some dirty looking bearing. I didnt try to swing the arm as I dont really know how heavy it should be, but i guess I could compare it to my mums march.
I probably gonna take the box of anyway as i still have the lighten fly. thank you

frank

Club Member
are you on about the socket/reinforcement that the cable goes through the baulkhead mate (2 nuts iirc) not the little bracket that stops it flapping around

pollyp

Club Member
you didn't grease the release bearing sliding collar did you?
i once made that mistake which allowed dust/dirt to collect on the grease creating a highly sticky muck which made it hard for the bearing to slide along.
the clutch got so unbarably hard that it worn out the cable, bearing retaining clips and even the bracket pin at the end of the cable had unexpectedly sheered off with a bang.

now i only smear tiny grease on the input shaft spline, diaphram fingers and retaining clips that the swingarm touches and leave the sliding collar bit clean & dry & maybe use dry graphite powder instead. plus replaced the weak riveted pin on the cable bracket end with a stronger nut & bolt

It was the actual metal bit that goes onto the pedal that let go
8ac99f78.jpg

this bit frank
04919116.jpg

you didn't grease the release bearing sliding collar did you?
i once made that mistake which allowed dust/dirt to collect on the grease creating a highly sticky muck which made it hard for the bearing to slide along.
the clutch got so unbarably hard that it worn out the cable, bearing retaining clips and even the bracket pin at the end of the cable had unexpectedly sheered off with a bang.

now i only smear tiny grease on the input shaft spline, diaphram fingers and retaining clips that the swingarm touches and leave the sliding collar bit clean & dry & maybe use dry graphite powder instead. plus replaced the weak riveted pin on the cable bracket end with a stronger nut & bolt

I did not, I have read what happened to you, but im not sure if anyone else didnt :( I will probably need to check it out once the box is off and degrease and clean the lot.

I had a same problem and my clutch cable snapped due to a bad adjustment, it was so tightened....previous owner let to change a clutch and in service, where it did, had no idea how to adjust it I think...

when i fitted the clutch on the corolla today i smeared a little on the release bearing slider as any crap will be pushed to the edge out of arms way along with the bearing