snapped bolt stuck in chassis

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
as above one of my anti roll bar cup bolts has snapped in the chassis :( how can i remove it? my drills be wont go through. garage job?

dan

if the threads of the bolts are not rusty/stuck then.
- drill a hole into the broken bolt
- drill another bolt into the hole and ensure it get stuck
- Twist the new bolt to get the stuck broken thread out.

ive got the same probs. gonna need to drill a hole in the floor on the inside and take it out that way....

You need a decent quality drill bit to drill into the remains of the stud, then screw in a stud extractor (available from Halfords) These have a left handed thread on a taper, so the tighter you screw them in the more they grip (thats the theory) the more likely the stud is to come free.

A good banging with an FBH and plenty of heat will also help.

how did it snap squarepants? was it from unscrewing or did you overtighten?
if its from unscrewing then the threads prob rust seized and will need to be drilled out & retapped carefully either by yourself with a set of carbide drill bits or by a garage.

i find those stud extracters only work for clean unrusted threads (which case i'd just dremel a slot across the stud and use a flathead screwdriver to undo em instead) and is completely useless if not worse for rusted threads cos their shape wedges the rusty bolt even tighter against the thread and i felt it would rather snap before the threads release (think about why the bolt head snapped of in the first place) and then you'd have a real bad mess which is a hardened stud extracter bit stuck inside a softer metal bolt stud and is very very hard to drill out (unless u have diamond drill bits :p).
after trying the stud extracters once and didn't work, i never used em again n throw it away cos its not worth the risk and is easier to drill out & retap the threads.

Back