Smart Car Turbos

Just wondered if turbo out of a smart car would work on maybe the cg10de engines? I know other parts will be needed but just curious if boost pressure and such like would work ok? the smart engines are around 600cc i think

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
On a CG10 I would go for a T2 or T15, no idea what the smart Turbos are.

It is not a cheap process doing a turbo conversion, a lot of custom piping, engine management + setup and knowledge is required.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
A Stock K11 engine will be fine on 0.5 bar boost. The only things required to do to the engine are fit an oil feed and return to/from the turbo, possibly larger injectors, thats about it.

The most difficult thing is the engine management set up.

A Stock K11 engine will be fine on 0.5 bar boost. The only things required to do to the engine are fit an oil feed and return to/from the turbo, possibly larger injectors, thats about it.

The most difficult thing is the engine management set up.

thats what i thought but just wanted it confirmed. could i get away with those piggy back fuel controllers?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
You'd be better off with emanage,

TBH Ed is your man to talk to about this, he can install, set up and tune your turbo conversion.

What would you use for a manifold?

Manny

Ex. Club Member
Just wondered if turbo out of a smart car would work on maybe the cg10de engines? I know other parts will be needed but just curious if boost pressure and such like would work ok? the smart engines are around 600cc i think

yeah it would work but u woulnt get a lot of difference. the smart car is very light and the turbo is very small also.

zanes

Ex. Club Member
Why, on a conversion which can cost thousands, are people continually asking can I do it with xxx turbo. Sell the turbo to a smart car owner, and do the job properly.

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Not 100% sure but i think the biggest problem with adapting a smart car tubo for use in other applications is that the exhaust manifold is cast as part of the turbo housing.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
If a smart car is a 700cc and I have a 1400cc could I arrange the manifold setup to make the Micra a twin turbo????

because that would be ace.

lol micra_pete, I had a turbo K11 at one point and was a "bodge" job, all I did was sell it after remapping the Apexi AFC and driving 2 weeks on the road, finding it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to maintain/upgrade parts.

save your money and do it right, I'm at the point i have enough money to make my K12 forced induction, but the money i would spend is silly. so i could do a K11 N/A for fun.

Pepper

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
because people like to talk nonsense and ignore all the development that has already been done and thus making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i was wondering if i could fit 4 turbos to my CG13 engine? each one would be a different size so that as they spool they would play differrent notes out the exhaust? if i did this would i still need my ECU?

zanes

Ex. Club Member
i was wondering if i could fit 4 turbos to my CG13 engine? each one would be a different size so that as they spool they would play differrent notes out the exhaust? if i did this would i still need my ECU?

That's easy NeX, my mate said I could use a 1.6 ECU to do that, no need to worry about plumbing any oil lines either he said!

joke!

frank

Club Member
but life (and this forum) would be so boring if we all conformed to the "norm", you learn so much by trial and error (and other peoples errors :grinning: )
i say if you,ve got an idea, give it a go, and tell us all about it :D

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
The problem everyone is having is people aren't learning from other peoples errors, it has been tried before and failed.

Everyone that says it won't work is getting fed up of saying it over and over

It'd be cheaper to do it properly.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
It is ridiculous because I garantee 9 out 10 people asking about turboing their micra are full of it and have no real intension of doing it and they would like to think I can be done on some rediculous buget!

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
It can be done on a budget, just usually more than the car is worth.

I'd do it but have no need for a turbo car, plus I don't have the tools or the time.

frank

Club Member
but if i had listened to the "experts" , i would,nt be driving a very nippy, fun to drive, cheap to insure car that does 130mls on £10 of fuel when thrashed, and owes me a lot less than a grand.
and i would have to look for another hobby :D

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
It is ridiculous because I garantee 9 out 10 people asking about turboing their micra are full of it and have no real intension of doing it and they would like to think I can be done on some rediculous buget!

Totally 100% agree,

Maybe if there were a greater amount of off the shelf components to turbo a Micra it would be done more often, however with the amount of custom parts and fabrication needed it rarely gets done.

Very few here have started and completed turbo projects on the Micras.

Even by attempting a budget turbo setup, your still looking at ££££'s and then the possibility of more costs when things go wrong.

Kev

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
That's easy NeX, my mate said I could use a 1.6 ECU to do that, no need to worry about plumbing any oil lines either he said!

joke!

i was thinking of using sand instead of oil ;)

there are only a few people who have actually done what they said they were going to do and done it peroperly.

Micra.jas
Nis
Solariace

are some fine examples. i am sure if you ask them what is humanly possible they will tell you that its all about money.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
but if i had listened to the "experts" , i would,nt be driving a very nippy, fun to drive, cheap to insure car that does 130mls on £10 of fuel when thrashed, and owes me a lot less than a grand.
and i would have to look for another hobby :D

.....lol