Slippery... clutch?

Hi chaps,

took my little ol' micra to the carwash last night.. set off for work as usual this morning.. only to find at higher revs like when approaching some of devons insanely huge hills, the car was revving like a nutter but i wasn't going any faster...

Is this clutch slip? The car's only done 21k but i use it every day and attack some monster hills. Can giving the car a good dousing with water have effected it in any way? It's been very damp around here lately. And... can clutch slip appear so rapidly or does it usually come in gradually.

It's slipping on all the gears at higher revs but if i drive, well.. sensibly, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong at all. So.... would i just need to change the clutch plate thingy? cos i'm sure that'd cost slightly less than a new car.

Thanks in advance guys!

You should notice it first in lower gears when it's under strain, for example pulling away from junctions or slowing down using second gear. I doubt the water would have done anything.

well yeah, it depends how the gearbox was put back against the block. Sometimes there are great big gaps. Its not too hard to imagine water getting in / making the clutch plates work less well. CLutch kit, around £30 ish. For someone who hasnt done it before, probably a days work. If you are handy and get the gearbox on quickly, 2 hours work tops.

Back