slight missfire

hey guys.. i bought a nissan march superturbo about 7 months ago and it was in very bad condition....

so i ended up rebuilding it all with

new thermostat and gaskets
new intake/exhaust manifold gaskets
new head gasket
new valves
head skimmed
new vavle stem seals / oil seals
new rocker over gasket
ALL GENUINE OE NISSAN FIGARO PARTS.!

it seemed to run bad so baz82 came and had a look at it and all the vacuun pipes were wrong..so he sorted that and he reckoned the turbo seals were gone beacause it was smokey. and he was correct..oil is coming out through the fin of the turbo and into the pipe where the induction kit goes......

next thing i had was a missfire.... so i decided to change a few parts

new genuine figaro hitatchi distributor cap and rotor arm
new genuine figaro plug le3ads
new denzo iriduim spark plugs.... = equivilant to.. ngk R... bpr 7es
but it is still missfiring slightly
baz showed me that the mark on the bottom pulley to set the ignition timing was broken/gone so the timing could not be set accuratley as there was only a replacment tippex mark! so i bought a pulley off him with the mark...but i dont have it yet

would the ignition timing out cause a missfire....?
the car feels as if it dosent have that ommmph to start and i have to hold my foot flat on the accelerator, if i let my foot off the accelerator it will cut out but if i hold it at 1,000 rpm its fine
because of the missfire the supercharger sounds dead and thew car finds it hard to build boost

how would i be able to tell if the engine timing is out because im seriuosly considering getting it reset to be sure..

i done a compression test today and im not sure if my results are good or not

counting away from the timing belt

cylinder 1 = 8bar
cylinder 2 = 7.1 bar
cylinder 3 = 6 bar
cylinder 4 = 7.1 bar

may i add that plug from cylinder 3 was black at the top and its only a new plug...is this the ignition timing....
also the head on my st got 3 or 4 headskims......baz82 said this may cause pre-igniton

i dont know if this post is made clearly of whats wrong with my car but i need to sort it out....

any ideas? :suspect::suspect:

thanks adam (Y)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Did you do the compression tests with warm engine and throttle at 100%? If you did then your engine is still bad.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
marchstrip0002..jpg
It's the weak one, it runs hotter than the others. My engine the I melted died on pot 3 see the pic above.

Ed

OP
OP
A
i see.....no i done the compression test with the engine cold.....

do you think cylinder 3 could be causing the missfire?

what sort of reading am i looking for on the compression guage for a healthy ma09?

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
As Ed said above my ST block cracked on cylinder 3 too grr

Could the piston rings be worn or the head gasket not be sealing properly? as i would think the compression is the reason why its misfiring / down on power.

When my block cracked i had a slight misfire every 5 - 8 seconds or so

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Often yes the slight miss fire can be water getting into the bores...

OP
OP
A
is there any ways that i can check if the headgasket is worn / gone? to see if there is water geting into the bores....

so if the rings are worn what options am i looking at?

bigger pistons with rebored block?
ma 12 experiment?
get rings made?

any suggestions?

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
there are many 'symptoms' of the head gasket going and some occur and others dont, also sometimes the the symptoms might not actually mean the head gasket is gone so it can be hard to tell sometimes. Going off my personal experience with the ST. When my head gasket failed, i had bubbles appearing in the expansion tank (compression from cylinders) loss in coolant, over heating and excessive water vapour in the exhaust, although this wasnt just the head gasket gone so this is probably the worst case senario. Also checking for exhaust fumes coming from the oil dip stick hole could be an indicator of worn rings (no personal experience sorry) good luck with it, hope its nothing bad

OP
OP
A
when you say the expansion tank you mean the coolant bootle yeah? if so ...yes that is bubbling away....
also there is a lot of fumes coming out of the exhaust

may i add that i was driving the car and it would be spluttering away and no power and then suddenly it would all stop and the car would run fine and id have full boost/ power for maybe 20 seconds...and then back to missing
this happened twice

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Adam the turbo still sitting in my shed lol so don't tell people you've bought it from me when you hav'nt. Cars for breaking grand !

OP
OP
A
yeah i know but up untill yesterday when i spoke to you i was taking it man...btw took your advise wkd imports are sorting it