slight issue.

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
ok, have edited this as i'm more worried now, as i think it may be the headgasket. the carbs are up and going i got hold of a new gasket but there is an issue, it seems to be spitting from the exhaust, it looks like its spitting oil as its black but its not very viscous, its like black water. this was happening before but i asumed it was the leaking inlet manifold gasket. it only really does it with short sharp bursts of the throttle, i've just changed the oil, flushed and changed the coolent. theres no whistles or knocking coming from the engine everything sounds fine, theres also white smoke coming from the exhaust, but i'm slightly confused is because i havent run the car properly since the carbs have been on just reved it up a few times?

also, one for speedle this, where you running the carbs with the timing advanced? if so how much did you advance it?

cheers

daveeeeee

you can check the h/gasket by filling the rad to the brim and look for bubbles on a fast tickover

im not sure on this one.....might just be where the water has mixed with the condensation on the exhaust, how long did you run it for?

If you need a head gasket ive got one for sale, think it the whole head set!

yeah i did give it some revs, now i think about it when i started the carbs up for the first time i do remember a loud pop from the engine didnt think much of it then??

how long have you ran the car on the carbs, then could do with a good run in before you start finding problems, they could just be running really rich! or too little fuel!

only about a week, however i have a feeling that speedle ran the carbs with advanced timing whereas i havent advanced it atall, could this be a factor?

Ok well you need a strobe light gun.
Tip x or white paint....to mark the marker
10 or 12mm spanner, cant remember now.

Basically the strobe goes with the pulse and when the mark on the bottom pulley has been marked, you will see it go past the indicators on the case at the bottom, labelled 0, 5, 10 etc.

To adjust it you need to undo the dissy and turn ever so slightly, you will here the engine rev go up or down, then you will know which way to go, i cant remember at the mo, basically you want to get the revs going up.

Keep checking the point where the mark is at, when it reaches the "5" mark, then you have just advanced the timing 5 degress.

the idel screw will now have to be adjusted to compensate for the high revs.

Make sure the dizzy is tightend back up!

thats about all there is to it really.

gah makes sense now, the idle is actualy quite low, i imagine this is because speedle would have previously adjusted it if he had advanced the timing when he had them.

Frauds sell them too if you need one quickly. The water does sound like condensation just sitting in the pipe.

pheeeeew! headgaskets fine, thanks for the help curtis mate. gotta sort it out for the mot :( dont know wether i should take the carbs of and replace the old one on for the mot? the bike carbs might fail on emmisions.

give the car a good run tbh, the engine needs a blast down the road rather than idling for 10 mins, you will just choke it up and the oil wil go funny and cause the oil ways in the pistons to block up and the oil ring to get gummed up with sticky carbon/oil stuff

ive had a k10 sat for a few years and did the same as you running the engine every now and again for a tiny charge up for the battery, needless to say i wasnt impressed when i had to rebuild the engine fully! cause the oil wasnt getting hot enough and causing it to choke up the piston rings

i advise you to start using the car properly or at least get someone else to drive the car about for you every now and again

Back