• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Skymera's Honda Civic VTi MB6

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Hi all :)

The Micra has had it's day so I picked up this Civic MB6.

I know it's not your typical boy racer EK Civic but it's still got the B18C4 VTEC with 170HP. It's certainly quicker than the Micra. It wont set any speed records but it does shift pretty well.

Gets to speed nicely and even at motorway speeds (shock) it doesn't make a fuss. The Micra was noisy, difficult to keep in a straight line and rather unpleasant overall.

The Car
It has 89,000 miles, a bunch of paperwork and MOT till end of August.

The car has had some track use before, the guy was on RetroRides :)

It's pretty much standard, it has a set of 35mm lowering springs and a stainless steel (silent) rear can.

Plans
- I'm having the window tints done pay day, I don't like being in a goldfish bowl.

- I've bought some G3 rubbing compound to remove the cloudiness on the headlights.

- Some BC coilovers, expensive but worth it.

- New brake pads. Preferably GreenStuff.

ZbINGt0.jpg

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
G3 compound arrived, gave it a whirl for 5 mins on one of the lights. Started making progress but then my arm got tired and I gave up.

Car seems to steam up easily so this weekend I'm on a hunt for a leak.

One of the front wheels needs a near bearing, slight whirring noise.

G3 compound arrived, gave it a whirl for 5 mins on one of the lights. Started making progress but then my arm got tired and I gave up.

I had a go at my mums with Silvo last year, turned out great.
Cheap metal polish from asda (40p a tube) works quite well too, just need to alternate between arms every now and then...and man up :p

Edit: car looks pretty good by the way ;)

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
They plastic Headlights brostein?
Plastic covers, yes :)

I had a go at my mums with Silvo last year, turned out great.
Cheap metal polish from asda (40p a tube) works quite well too, just need to alternate between arms every now and then...and man up :p

Edit: car looks pretty good by the way ;)
I guess kneeling down in the wet on my lunch break wasn't the best idea.
Week off work next week so hopefully get to tidy some bits up :)

I am an electronics engineer, not an athelete

nerd.jpg

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Car looks good, looking forward to seeing what you do to it. I'm also in agreement with @Jen319, put some damn effort into it boy!

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
If I remo've the cat it'll be a removable Decat pipe for easier MOT. Exhaust will be sorted, a nee SS cat back syste m

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
So nothing big happening yet.

Gave the car a quick jetwash, just get most of the muck off.

rQiN6O9.jpg

lBwB94G.jpg

The headlights are cloudy and have a yellow tinge.

I made some attempts to clear them up. A little better but still have that yellowish tinge.

I used some P800, then P1200 wet and dry. Followed by some G3 compound followed by Auto Glym polish to get them shiny again.
Both headlights were as bad as each other.
Here's the drivers headlight before

sx5DNtP.jpg

and passenger headlight after

Qv0C52Q.jpg

A bit of an improvement but I think the discolouration is on the inside. New headlights should fix it

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Some small bits.

90mm gear stick extender. Not much use for now but would be awesome with a short shifter!

DilES5m.jpg

And a noise maker AEM short arm intake from a breaking VTI
smile.png

XILz0AR.jpg

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
So short shift to decrease throw distance
To extend the stick and increase throw distance :confused:

I'm sure there's a method in your madness Scott :p
Raises gearstick closer to steering wheel = less time taken reaching for gearstick = quicker, more comfortable gear shifts

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
New PiperCross R Power filter and K&N oil purchased.

My current filter is dirty and pretty battered so a new one seemed wise. Fairly cheap.

Car is being booked in for a full service including flushing of the brake and cluid fluid. And it'll be having the wheel bearing done at the same time.

My wallet hurts.

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I've been a little lazy!

So my interior door handle has just broken :roll:
It had no return spring since I bought it but looks as though something has broken inside.

EqgnssS.jpg

4nzcz0h.jpg

gkHJwL7.jpg

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Some good news and finally some pictures!
This arrived today
aVwZgMr.jpg

And here it is fitted
4rJtuX2.jpg

Noticed the second screw? Well the original handle had a second screw also.
I guess some clip or something was broken because when I fitted the new handle and pulled the lever, the left side moved and the door didn't open. When I held the left side, the door opened. So that's why there was another screw!
And my old busted one!
x4lZnl4.jpg

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Good news!
The goodies are starting to roll in :)
MG ZS cup holder
ENBG1dE.jpg

Annoyingly the pen holder clips are broken so wont have any function holding a pen *damn*.
And fitted
SPZC7M9.jpg

The lid wont stay closed with the cup holder fitted, always pops open. Probably a little worn.
Loosened the clip screws and it closes fully :) Some small washers on the screws should sort it!
Some other bits in the post too :wink:

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
So my goodies arrived today!
Thanks Carl Conroy
bWrQRHp.jpg

yef6foD.jpg

Cleaner/clearer lenses
Sprayed black
And I think the orange indicator caps look badass!
Any tips for fitting? I see there's one screw down the side which might be a pig to get to!

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
What an absolutely fabulous day! Sun is out. The ground is dry! Managed to get quite a bit done before midday :)
Had another go at the bumper and lights and found the passenger light was caught on a plug!
It fit back nicely.
There is still some small panel gaps but that's my fault. I bent the wings being an impatient scrote and pulling the lights out.. Oops.
So anyway, here's the result
xxsThfi.jpg

evSq3Z8.jpg

Driver side fitment
MgR7tfu.jpg

And the not so elegant passenger side!
DxuXxSy.jpg

I have noticed the drivers side headlight beam is incredibly low, much lower than the passenger. Is there a manual adjuster anywhere to raise it up?
Now, onto the fogs.
My new H3 bulbs arrived today, Yay! So I thought..
Both fogs seem to be totally ruined with rounded screws and horrible bodge repairs!
Driver side unit with cap. The bulb doesn't work.
Jei2zhw.jpg

Passenger side with no cap. The bulb works :)
lmJMPYB.jpg

I was stopped in my tracks almost immediately when one of the screws was badly rounded. I could tell that if I tried undoing it with some force it'd be ruined completely.
83Adl9R.jpg

I undid the 3 tiny screws at the top and managed to open the unit slightly and what tipped out was this
h2xfX3v.jpg

i'm guessing the insides have shattered including the bulb and is beyond repair.
Going to remove them sometime soon and source some new ones :(

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Okay, some more bits done today!
After noticing a small oil leak by the gearbox (Most likely a shaft seal) I decided to check the oil levels. I undone the filler plug and nothing came out, oops.
Went to Halfords (gah!) to source some Castrol SMX-S which they told me they no longer stock and instead it's been replaced with Castrol Syntrans
cas_syntras_multi_75w90.jpg

I grabbed 3 litres, enough to top it up now and enough left over to do all full drain when I'm free. 2.2L iirc?
The box took around 0.5L of oil. Pulling away in first gear is a dream. So smooth now, it used to (rarely) judder quite violently pulling away. Worrying. Gear changes are smoother in general.
As for the whirring noise I'm sure it's quietened down quite a bit. Although I seem to be the only sod who can hear it! :D

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Seems as though the lenses aren't on the electronic adjusters properly and they're moving about when driving. Solution? Some temporary bodging.
I'll double check the beam height tonight. :)
eILgI7T.jpg

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Back from the garage. Work all done!

To summarise,

- 2 brand new rear calipers. Can confirm they aren't reconditioned units.
- 2 new rear Mintex discs
- New set of rear Mintex pads
- Brake fluid flush
- Air-con recharge.

The bit we love, some pics :) They aren't fantastic!

Filthy old caliper and disc!
0ExrpyV.jpg

Beautiful new set!
QWDT74f.jpg

Free aircon recharge FTW
VVqEA4D.jpg

And I got to the bottom of my power steering fluid leak. The rack itself :( Kinda' guessed but this area confirms it.
qbIjKDN.jpg

It really isn't leaking quickly at all so isn't a priority.

Also took the opportunity to rip that loose heat shield off from around the cat! Was driving me bonkers.

It's 18:00, sun is setting. Time to give her a quick scrub and get the bird poo off my windows! ;)

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
[qu ote="skymera, post: 685028, member: 13289"]So I've just bought this

q36QzzB.jpg

It's an SRS G50 backbox for an EK so it'll need modifying to fit :)[/quote]
Yesssssssssss
Drive past my house
Often

'Sent from my bed using paper planes'

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Painted the grille surround and badge black.

It WAS matte. I gave it a coat of clear lacquer to toughen it up against stone chips and it ended up the shiniest finish I've ever got...

Was tempted to paint the H red, but not sure I'm down with the cool kids doing that.

Parked at work. I work at an awesome location.

yPQCHpq.jpg

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Done a small amount of servicing over the last couple days.

New set of plugs. NGK gapped to 1.1mm.

Here's the old ones. All seem okay with maybe one cyl slightly overfuelling.

MjW5DKV.jpg

I also did the fuel filter and had some real issues!

The Crosland kit I was sold had a filter and a one copper washer.

So I fitted the filter, screwed the bottom fuel line in and screwed the top line in with the copper washer. Kept the rag in place in case of any leaks.

I primed the car 3-4 times to build up the fuel pressure and it leaked fuel out the bottom _everywhere_!

Took the filter out and dashed to Motor Parts Direct for a new filter.

This kit contained the filter, 2 larger copper washers and a smaller copper washer.

I fitted the filter with both larger washers around the top fuel line and I fitted the smaller copper washer around the lower fuel line. The smaller washer was a bit fiddly. I rested the washer on the fuel line and then insert into the filter and tightened it all up. I primed again 2-3 times. No leaks!

Started it up and no leaks
smile.png

Driven 15miles to work this morning and still no leaks. However I'm still unsure as to whether or not it's 100% watertight. Fooling myself into thinking I can smell fuel.

Can anyone tell me the fuel pressures when priming? When on idle? And when at WOT?

If I'm right in thinking the filter is after the FPR so the pressure will vary. I want to be sure there's no leaks when pressure is at its highest.

This has confirmed to me...I'm not a mechanic
wink.png

Oh, MOT is also booked for Saturday! Fingers are crossed!

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
The car passed the MOT
smile.png

Got a small list of advisories this year

- Small oil leak

- Number plates are deteriorated

- Front discs and pads need doing soon

- All 4 suspension springs are corroded.

- Engine oil needs topping up - VTEC Y0

New discs and pads going on within the month. New plates ordered and my MeisterR's will need to be bought this year
wink.png

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Hi all,

Wasn't sure if I posted this. But a few weeks ago some scrote (or scrotes) scratched up about 15 cars in the street with what seemed like a brick!

But it went from this

iAZvDFl.jpg

cCggBfO.jpg

To this!

xMcltso.jpg

6veJxP8.jpg

kHjWKCE.jpg

Sorry, bit late updating the thread.

You'll be pleased to know I spunked all my money on a building a new PC rather than on car parts :p

OP
OP
skymera

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Well these arrived . Seemed okay at first.

3UjIpOI.jpg

Well, the line up...sorta

UlO82cR.jpg

But nothing seemed to line up at in in the car? I still couldn't find anywhere suitable to screw into..
In fact the inner diameter seemed way too big... but if it was any smaller I doubt I'd fit the speaker through.

2OGEhLC.jpg

Note to self. eBay isn't suitable for everything.