• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Skinners Sprint Micra

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
LOL at the AX driver preceding you almost forgetting which way to go :rolleyes:

Your motor is surprisingly quiet too.....I'm dreading to see what the dB meter shows on the new engine :confused:

Yeh it had a saxo VTR motor up front so i think the weight upset the handling a fair bit!

Thats was just a K&N on the stock manifold/injection last year bud with no de-cat...

Carbs/Straight through sounds a bit meater! :)

Whiteline rear antiroll bar fitted at last....

Made my own drop links.. bronze lined rod ends & stainless bar... for 1/3 of the cost of whiteline ones! lots left to adjust to what ever length i need :)

DSCF0459.jpg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Pedal box is still in the pipeline. It's gone to someone else, as the last company said it was 'too much work', so we're looking at 2-3weeks for it to arrive but it will be supplied with 80mm AP master cylinders, so hopefully the car will be back before the month is out. Engine is still in the works too, mainly being held up with the cylinder head but that's because we are wanting more than just the standard 'port and polish' jobs most people talk about.

Engine bay is done, all bar the drilling for the pedal box, few pics attached after paint showing the modified bulkhead to make more room for the ITB airbox/filter :)

Nice job on those droplinks :) Much more prep work to do before the rally?

A little update on my side. Pedal box is done now but the people who did it were unable to supply the master cylinders and remote reservoirs so it's now a game of trying to sort that out. I never thought it would be this hard to do but Micras are not common, so I guess it's par for the course ;)

Engine is coming along nicely, bottom end is balanced and shortly going to be assembled ready for the head. Head is rough ported but awaiting the valves to arrive before the flowbench can be bought out to finish the job off. Camshaft profiles are now sorted after quite a bit of work coming up with a worthy profile and are now in production. Timescales have gone to the wind but things are still progressing........I can see a mad assembly job looming but the shakedown aim for May 7th at Goodwood will sadly be missed. Next deadline will be JAE, which will hopefully be made since it's in SEPTEMBER lol :rolleyes:

Thanks Low, glad to hear you got the pedal box sorted! nothing ever seems "off the shelf" for micras does it... all adds to the fun i guess

A build as big as yours must be leaving you chomping at the bit! looking forward to seeing it once its built up (if we are allowed to see ;))

Is the engine being assembled by Matt Humphries? Im tempted by a new engine for next year... something more Suzuki than Nissan though! (can i do that though it doesnt seem right lol)

The sprint is around 4 weeks away, im still mid shakedown (very shakedown with manx roads! my poor back!) the powersteering cooler is getting quite alot of heatsoak from the exhaust so some Nimbus grill is on its way to sheild the manifold ... should help with the intake temperatures as well!

Nice job on those droplinks :) Much more prep work to do before the rally?

A little update on my side. Pedal box is done now but the people who did it were unable to supply the master cylinders and remote reservoirs so it's now a game of trying to sort that out. I never thought it would be this hard to do but Micras are not common, so I guess it's par for the course ;)

Engine is coming along nicely, bottom end is balanced and shortly going to be assembled ready for the head. Head is rough ported but awaiting the valves to arrive before the flowbench can be bought out to finish the job off. Camshaft profiles are now sorted after quite a bit of work coming up with a worthy profile and are now in production. Timescales have gone to the wind but things are still progressing........I can see a mad assembly job looming but the shakedown aim for May 7th at Goodwood will sadly be missed. Next deadline will be JAE, which will hopefully be made since it's in SEPTEMBER lol :rolleyes:

oh JAe look forward to meeting you dude, just to drop this in that ive touched your rods! hehe

Thanks Low, glad to hear you got the pedal box sorted! nothing ever seems "off the shelf" for micras does it... all adds to the fun i guess

A build as big as yours must be leaving you chomping at the bit! looking forward to seeing it once its built up (if we are allowed to see ;))

Is the engine being assembled by Matt Humphries? Im tempted by a new engine for next year... something more Suzuki than Nissan though! (can i do that though it doesnt seem right lol)

The sprint is around 4 weeks away, im still mid shakedown (very shakedown with manx roads! my poor back!) the powersteering cooler is getting quite alot of heatsoak from the exhaust so some Nimbus grill is on its way to sheild the manifold ... should help with the intake temperatures as well!

surely the cooler can be moved away from the exhaust? in front of the rad?

Had a productive afternoon:

Respaced the drop links so they are working in near verticle position

DSCF0491.jpg

Nimbus Grill arrived so set too making an exhaust heat shield..... (not much room to play with fabricating the thing!

Mocked up with card first:

1.jpg

Then shaped/ test fit/ shaped/ test fit untill i was happy, bent a few sections of ali for mounting brackets & pop rivited it togeather, then added a bracket at the bottom which mounts to the exhaust to keep it all secure.. im quite pleased with the results:) after a test drive (10 minutes) you can put ur hand on the shield no problem. The issue of the powersteering cooler heat sink is *fingers* crossed solved. added bonus the radiator & alternator are also shielded from the heat so cooler underbonnet/intake charges should help out on warm days!

2.jpg

3.jpg

Few more goodies arrived in the post today (as long as the weather holds) il be fitting them on sunday along with a long overdue wash & polish

Entry list arrived for my next event :)only 2 weeks to go... aiming to be beating the coopers & tr3's though with the 3rd smallest engine of 80 cars il be lucky!!

Photo taken behind the famous TT Grandstand where the car will be scruitineered soon

DSC_0250.jpg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Nice! ;)

How do you get the plastic windows in by the way? I have a set on the 'to buy' list but I'm wondering how you get them in with the sliders attached....

Nice! ;)

How do you get the plastic windows in by the way? I have a set on the 'to buy' list but I'm wondering how you get them in with the sliders attached....

Thanks Low carnt wait to get into the first practice sessions!

Id recommend http://www.plastics4performance.com they sell them with the slider kit but it doesnt come attached, i put the windows in with the protective film still on then removed it & bolted the slider kit to it last, id go for the slider scoop as well as its blooming warm in there and the air rushes past the window rather than through the open slider!

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Thanks Low carnt wait to get into the first practice sessions!

Id recommend http://www.plastics4performance.com they sell them with the slider kit but it doesnt come attached, i put the windows in with the protective film still on then removed it & bolted the slider kit to it last, id go for the slider scoop as well as its blooming warm in there and the air rushes past the window rather than through the open slider!

Ah right, that makes sense. Yes, plasticsforperformance are the people, at some point I will get a complete set from them, although I will need to send them the supers style side windows so they can make a set, as they currently only list the standard fixed windows. Something I discussed with them already :)

Wasn't aware they had a scoop, but my dad has one built into the a-pillar on the e-type and said the same........things tend to get rather hot in there without them ;)

Reading through the regs, I'm a little lost with what I can do with the engine. Am I allowed to use my high comp engine with port and polished head, larger throttle body and larger injectors in the road going class? Sorry if I end up asking stupid questions just like to get all the info first :)

Reading through the regs, I'm a little lost with what I can do with the engine. Am I allowed to use my high comp engine with port and polished head, larger throttle body and larger injectors in the road going class? Sorry if I end up asking stupid questions just like to get all the info first :)

Dont worry mate i was asking scrutineers questions alot belive me! from the reg 11.5.1 i think you should be fine, the way i read it as long as its an engine that is supposed to be in that car (same with the gearbox) then your good to go... uphillracers.com is a good site to have a look at as well those guys are very knowledgeable... i dont mind answering (trying at least) either :)

Only a few hours to go untill signing one! :D Pick up the door decals & sign my life away, few pics & lots of the other cars running coming soon....

Weather looks to tip it down over the 3 days, put the uniroyals to the test!! should make it interesting.... 7 litre GT40D in the wet = bit of a hand full!! think il stick with Micras!

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
This car is a work of art in my opinion, function over form any day!

I'm currently kitting out my for track days, now you're making hill climbs and proper staged events sound very tempting to me :D

This car is a work of art in my opinion, function over form any day!

I'm currently kitting out my for track days, now you're making hill climbs and proper staged events sound very tempting to me :D

Cheers Harlen very kind of you, id recommend hillclimbs & sprints any day!! great fun for the cash :)

Hi Folks!

Well the Manx Classic 2012 went very well, appart from a very wet & windy Thursday! Managed to beat all 3 PB's i had for each day even taking 8 secounds off my last years time on the sloc coming in 39th of 68 cars (not bad for the 3rd smallest engine hey ;)

DSCN0051.jpg

I should have used alot stickier tyres, looks like the budget might need to be streched a bit next year, as always the Micra didnt miss a beat, handled great, the only thing slowing it down was the driver :confused:

Hi Guys, bit of an update, next project has just kicked off will take a few months but should be worth it....

Im moving to a turbo setup as follows (whilst working out the kinks on the way) im very new to turbos so it will be a learning curve to say the least:

T25 Turbo
200SX 370cc injectors
Possibly forged pistons
200SX MAF
Nistune
Will make up my own phlenum chamber
SR20 throttlebody
Exhaust to exit from front bumper

Im still loving the N/A sound too much at the moment so il build the short block up on a spare engine & keep the car running as long as i can :)

Hi,
Can you give us a detailed breakdown of your droplink parts please? Rod end hole dia, threaded bar diameter, fitting bolts and nuts spec, how many washers did it take to get them working straight and where you bought them from etc
thanks in advance

BTW is your rear bar 22mm dia?

Whiteline rear antiroll bar fitted at last....

Made my own drop links.. bronze lined rod ends & stainless bar... for 1/3 of the cost of whiteline ones! lots left to adjust to what ever length i need :)

DSCF0459.jpg

Hi,
Can you give us a detailed breakdown of your droplink parts please? Rod end hole dia, threaded bar diameter, fitting bolts and nuts spec, how many washers did it take to get them working straight and where you bought them from etc
thanks in advance

BTW is your rear bar 22mm dia?

Hi Reflex, you will need the following:

M10 RHT Female rod ends Stainless x4
http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=263

Length of Bar M10
http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=279

M10 stainless nyloc nuts & washers (x15) local motorfactors

You will have to play around with the washer spacing as whiteline are notorious for parts not fitting first time! yes its the 22mm bar mate

Thanks for the fast info Skinner 87. I too have a pair of the 22mm bars, I had them on a modest competition Micra once before, set full 'ard. It felt awesome keen in the corners but the car ended up on it's side in a field after I lost the back end one evening. :oops::eek::rolleyes::mad: I didn't realise there were 20mm ones at the time either!

I'm in the process of straightening it to fit it once more. It seemed to work no problem on the cars stock links in the first install but because I can't guarantee getting it mm perfect this time I'm going to need an adjustable drop link to 'balance' it once fitted. Intriguingly most people aren't actually aware of the fact they only need one adjustable link or when and how to adjust them and why.

My own research had already led me here
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/McGill-Motorsports/_i.html?_fsub=185716014
Interestingly, the same supplier lol! I'll stay on it, let you know what I choose.

Well took the cams out thisafternoon to inspect the damage from last weeks drag racing, two nicely split shims on cylinder 1 :confused: found one piece but the other has long gone, engine out time i think (joys of motorsport!)

DSCN0087.jpg

y'ouch
hows that happen? agressive cams? stiffer cam springs? reving too high for too long?

Not that agressive mate just piper fast road, happened on start up / idle when they were under the most load :confused: i've looked the shims over & theres a dark mark on them where they have split think its a flaw in the metal itself as its a clean break!! Just need to find the broken bits

Found this to chear my up while shes rebuilt, first practice run competing this year & the return convoy:) 0.38 & 5.35

Also check out the competition!!