• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Skinners Sprint Micra

No that's plenty of help thanks! They are easy enough to install, just need to space them over don't I?

Thats right a 1mm wash between the hub & the carrier to line everything up, people have had to skim down disc's in the past but i've not had to in my case :)

Also just check the disc is sat centrally on the hub, again i was lucky mines a snug fit but you might need shim the disc for a good fit.

Okie dokie easy enough, should brake rather well by the time it's done. Did you use updated brake fluid? I had a look at the ap racing dot 4 but didn't know whether to bother or not

Okie dokie easy enough, should brake rather well by the time it's done. Did you use updated brake fluid? I had a look at the ap racing dot 4 but didn't know whether to bother or not

Im hoping it will stop on a sixpence mate, light car + big brakes should be grand! i do use uprated fluid but im on dot 5.1 and i've never had any problems with it :)

Im hoping it will stop on a sixpence mate, light car + big brakes should be grand! i do use uprated fluid but im on dot 5.1 and i've never had any problems with it :)

on a highspeed circuit straight once i get the T1R & pulsar brakes upto operating temps it all depended on how hard i can push the pedal till i almost tear my face off lol (turned the useless abs off btw). using normal dot4 fluid found in supermarket no probs with boiling

on a highspeed circuit straight once i get the T1R & pulsar brakes upto operating temps it all depended on how hard i can push the pedal till i almost tear my face off lol (turned the useless abs off btw). using normal dot4 fluid found in supermarket no probs with boiling

Good to hear Paul, and no problems on the TT course either eh ;)

Good days work done on the car:

Exhaust fitted back up
Alternator / Starter / Looms back in
New dash in
New binacle in with oil pressure gage
Lost the light tonight to get pics but bar a few bits & pieces (fluids mainly) we should get her fired up by Saturday :)

Well everythings back on one piece :)
DSCN0167.jpg

And the dash fits a treat, quite please with how it turned out...
DSCN0169.jpg

Built the oil pressure up & the car fired up on the first go which is always a relief! Let everything come up to temp & all is well...
The new engine mounts are doing there job well, no engine movement at all (its all in the rest of the car instead lol)
A few tweaks with the timing & a new tax disc should see its first outing onto the road in around 4 months! Though im thinking ear defenders might be an option...
Very happy with how the revs pick up, 1/4 throttle and its up to 7k in a secound or two :)

Why do you keep the heater? It's not possible to remove it and use the hot from the engine to warm the interior of the car? (i have no idea)

Why do you keep the heater? It's not possible to remove it and use the hot from the engine to warm the interior of the car? (i have no idea)

Hi Capix, the heaters staying for now, might be replaced with a heated screen in the future or something else if i can come up with another lighter way :)

Any engine heat would be quickly drawn in by all the bare metal in the cabin to be honest, Its not too heafty a unit to leave in but as you say it would be better to have it gone at some point.

@ Airmike cheers yeh im going to find a good few just need to remember were i left my memory card!

@ Frank i know iv been on here long enough :)

Engine 1275cc
Gas Flowed Polish & ported head with hardened valve seals
Kent Fast Road Cams with custom shims
Bottom end stripped clean & rebuilt with new rings & shells
Flywheel slightly lightened
Bogg Brothers manifold with CBR900RR Carbs jetted to suit spec
Hey skinner :) .. Im just wondering does the bike carbs give a good power increase? I heard that injection might be better , but i think the bike carbs should be better eh :confused: thanks very much .. :)

Hey skinner :) .. Im just wondering does the bike carbs give a good power increase? I heard that injection might be better , but i think the bike carbs should be better eh :confused: thanks very much .. :)

Hi Mate, i couldnt give you an exact figure for Bhp gain but it certainly made a difference,At a rough guess maybe 10 - 15BHP more?! I've heard argument for both & no doubt Injection would be more accurate as you could map it to suit but i went for carbs purely on the basis that im on the Isle of Man & nowhere here can map ECU's. For plug and play carbs are the way to go, (in my oppinion) i do have a set of ITB's to go on in the future but id have to teach myself some basic mapping first:)

You have to keep the rev's up but once its above 4k it goes very well (havnt had the current spec on the road yet though) You have some adjustment with the carbs mainly rejetting & changing the advance / retard to suit what your running.

For example from 2011 to 2012 the only thing engine / box wise i changed was to a carb setup from the factory injection. I averaged around 5-8 secounds off my prior years times even in the wet! Not saying it was all down to the carbs but they were a big help!

Hi Mate, i couldnt give you an exact figure for Bhp gain but it certainly made a difference,At a rough guess maybe 10 - 15BHP more?! I've heard argument for both & no doubt Injection would be more accurate as you could map it to suit but i went for carbs purely on the basis that im on the Isle of Man & nowhere here can map ECU's. For plug and play carbs are the way to go, (in my oppinion) i do have a set of ITB's to go on in the future but id have to teach myself some basic mapping first:)

You have to keep the rev's up but once its above 4k it goes very well (havnt had the current spec on the road yet though) You have some adjustment with the carbs mainly rejetting & changing the advance / retard to suit what your running.

For example from 2011 to 2012 the only thing engine / box wise i changed was to a carb setup from the factory injection. I averaged around 5-8 secounds off my prior years times even in the wet! Not saying it was all down to the carbs but they were a big help!
Thanks very much , you're a life saver lol :)

have you changed the master cylinder to compensate for the bigger brakes?

In a way mate yeh, i was just going to upgrade the master cylinder to be honest & keep the micra calipers but the Gti brakes came up so i thought why not :)

Gives a very solid pedal, fingers crossed if i ever do take it rallying it'll help out alot

Well its been out for a little blat up the road, everything is well with the timing advanced 15 degrees

Going to take bit of getting used to no powersteering with 195's :p

Having a little play around with airbox designs for the carbs, original plan was to adapt the original honda airbox but its going to be easier to make one from scratch, something along these lines:

Attachments

• Airbox 2.jpg
    Airbox 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 362
Could you not have twin inlets hooked up to the bonnet vents? Ram pipes can't hurt ;)

Not a bad idea at all Karl!

I was thinking that way im just not too keen on cutting up my new bonnet lol

Rough plans to route a big filter into a covered box above the drivers side engine mount (knicking an idea from a guy in OZ) i can feed it with a ram pipe in the front bumper then like you say, the washer bottles gone so theres plenty of room, this sort of idea.......

48888.jpg

Well everythings back on one piece :)
DSCN0167.jpg

And the dash fits a treat, quite please with how it turned out...
DSCN0169.jpg

Built the oil pressure up & the car fired up on the first go which is always a relief! Let everything come up to temp & all is well...
The new engine mounts are doing there job well, no engine movement at all (its all in the rest of the car instead lol)
A few tweaks with the timing & a new tax disc should see its first outing onto the road in around 4 months! Though im thinking ear defenders might be an option...
Very happy with how the revs pick up, 1/4 throttle and its up to 7k in a secound or two :)
unbelievable ..

Well been on the first few test drives with the new setup, all in all im pleased but once up to temp after 5 minutes fo running the rev's are a little all over the place.

Under hard throttle im getting hesitation & an irratic idle, not had this before so the only thing i can point it towards is the igniton system somewere, the lambda controlls only the fuel side doesnt it? :confused:

Heres a quick vid of her running:

just rpm and load for the spark curve i think mate :), and cant you use the lambda signals to help get the mixture right ?

just rpm and load for the spark curve i think mate :), and cant you use the lambda signals to help get the mixture right ?

Hey Frank, i was thinking of getting a wideband to see if the jets on the carbs were too big/ too small.. or just taking the volt readings of it first to get an idea couldnt i?

Previously id just been looking at the plugs to check the mixture & it had been a nice chocolate colour, maybe the new cams have unsettled it.

Ahh so if the lambda sensor was bust it would mess around with the ignition?

just out of intrest what size main jets are you using in your carbs?

now that i have a wideband ive found the 1.5mm jets are running very rich at full throttle

just out of intrest what size main jets are you using in your carbs?

now that i have a wideband ive found the 1.5mm jets are running very rich at full throttle

I've got a feeling they are around 1.6 or larger mate front when they were setup but i carnt remember off the top of my head, il have to ring up and find out tomorrow.

Can i ask what widebank you went for?

Hey Frank, i was thinking of getting a wideband to see if the jets on the carbs were too big/ too small.. or just taking the volt readings of it first to get an idea couldnt i?

Previously id just been looking at the plugs to check the mixture & it had been a nice chocolate colour, maybe the new cams have unsettled it.

Ahh so if the lambda sensor was bust it would mess around with the ignition?
the plug colour will only give an "average" eh paul, and i doubt if the lambda will effect the sparkmap

Back