Sister mashed her suspension arms

Josho

Buy & Sell Member
Hi. My sister has a 1l K11 Micra and last Sunday she sister spun out round a bend. She mangled the wheel, so I replaced it. I thought there would be something else wrong with it, but we took it to Kwik-Fit and they inspected it. Said that she had damaged the lower suspension arm on the near side was mangled seriously and the one on the other side had taken damage and would need replacing aswell. Wanted about £300 for the job. I work with a mechanic so I'm gonna do it.

I've seen a few wishbones on eBay and such and I might go for one, either that or just nip to a local parts shop and get two. Am I right in thinking it's best to get a new ball-joint aswell?

I like getting fed info, I could probably do it now, but I'd rather make sure. What's the best place to put the axle stands? Just behind the wishbones on the chassis?

Would taking the wheels off and jacking up the hubs slightly help?

Will the suspension push against it, and if so, whats a good tip to help?

I have actually changed one before, but I was on hydrallic ramps so it was far easier, and that was on a Peugeot.

Thanks guys.

EDIT:

A couple of other things also. The reverse lights only come on if you pull on the gear stick or let the clutch right out.

If the car is slightly rolling forward, and you put the clutch to the floor, then try to put it in reverse, it grinds. Sometimes it does it when revving also. Only had a new clutch a little while ago.

The ball joints come attatched to the wishbones.

Axle stands go on the chassis members or sub frame, make sure you don't jack up on the floor pan and watch carefuly.

You will have to take the wheels off and the quickest way to get the ball joints out is to smash the wishbone with a steel hammer close to the ball joint.
Make sure you lube up all nuts and bolts with wd40, also if its a post 2000 model you will have a anti roll bar on the front which needs to be removed too, i sudgest you get new links.

Not quite sure on the reverse, sounds like the switch is going. Putting it into reverse whilst rolling forwards or revving the engine will grind the reverse gear. Don't do it is the simple solution.

OK thanks. With the grinding problem, my dads van and my brothers car don't do it, so I was wondering. New links too? Are they expensive?

OK thanks. With the grinding problem, my dads van and my brothers car don't do it, so I was wondering. New links too? Are they expensive?

Linkes shouldn't be too expensive, i only advise you buy them just incase they snap and your left with a car in peices.
The gearbox is probably warn, if it crunches when the car is stationery and idling then you have a problem.

OK. I'll get:
Wishbones
Links
Possibly new axle stands.

Might get 'em off eBay, miles cheaper, just worry about quality. The gearbox doesn't crunch stationary, just mainly, if you have the clutch to the floor and it rolls just slightly, it crunches. The clutch is right up the top though, you push the clutch down an inch or two and it's fully engauged. Had clutch done a little while ago.

Clutch may need adjusting, adjusters on top of the gear box.

The links are only required on post 2000 1.0L's, so after. I got mine from Nissan and the price wasn't that bad.

OK. I'll get:
Wishbones
Links
Possibly new axle stands.

Might get 'em off eBay, miles cheaper, just worry about quality. The gearbox doesn't crunch stationary, just mainly, if you have the clutch to the floor and it rolls just slightly, it crunches. The clutch is right up the top though, you push the clutch down an inch or two and it's fully engauged. Had clutch done a little while ago.

josho

syncromesh is only fitted to the forward gear,s on k11,s :glance:

That would be why then. Have to stop it dead. I only move it on the drive, don't have a licence, too young lol. On a slope and as slipery as hell.

When it's wet, the Micra has to pull away in 2nd, or it just spins.

Makes it easy to park in a tight space though. Handbrake on, wheels turned, wheel spin. Parallel parks nicely.

Got the car up on ramps, they don't look too bad. My list:
-Suspension arms
-Bushes
-Links
-Balljoints (if they don't come with the wishbones)

Would it be easier to have the car on ramps or stands? I have a jack, whats the best place to put the jack to slightly raise the suspension to relieve the tension?

Right, got everything. Wishbones £27 came with the ball joints and the bushes, ready to bolt on. I took your advice and bought some links too.

It won't stop raining so I ca't do it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow, if not Monday after school.

So, will ramps help in any way or not? The shop I got the stuff from has some really nice axle stands, rachet style, with a triangle shaped pin that goes in it too. Look excellent for £28 for the 3tonne or £20/£24 for the two tonne. If our axle stands are crappy, I'll get some.

"Ramps" can be used to raise the rear wheels giving you some room to wlide under the car, use a jack and axle stands for the front because the front wheels have to come off.

fyi they are called t v links i make them for the quashquai :D

transverse links :D

AKA wishbones or control arms, a shop in this country will quickly recognise them as wishbones.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me! Whipit, you've been a great help. I got the stabilizer links aswell, I haven't even looked at them on the car yet, but do they go like this: (picture attatched)

mrg1va.jpg

I'll obviously check on the old ones first, but just wanted to check now.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me! Whipit, you've been a great help. I got the stabilizer links aswell, I haven't even looked at them on the car yet, but do they go like this: (picture attatched)

mrg1va.jpg

I'll obviously check on the old ones first, but just wanted to check now.

it goes washer, bush, antirollbar, bush, washer, spacer, washer, bush, wishbone, bush, washer

Did the left one yesterday. too ill to go to school, so I might sleep and try and do the other. Just gotta redo the left link. Did it a little wrong I think.

Back