single wiper conversion

DAVEJUPP01

Ex. Club Member
hey people just wondering has any1 thought bout havin a single wiper conversion on front windscreen as i reakon i would like to do it.
do u think if i took out the single back wiper from a micra i could just put it on the front.
if anyone has any ideas or comments bout weather this could be done please let me no. thanks TOM ACE

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
i beleive a lad on here about 2 years ago got it custom made from a corsa kit.

I've not heard of any one getting the rear wiper motor.

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Best bet is to adapt a single wiper conversion from a corsa, saxo or 106. Otherwise contact people like storm to see if they can make you a kit or sell you a universal kit you can adapt to fit

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Or go down a scrappy and get one off an AX, if you trust hte French electrics that is...

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
the one u have on there at the moment can be modified to perform as a single wiper.

just have to know what the hell you are doing, otherwise could be like shuffling through pig ####.

an able minded mechanic friend maybe? can help:confused:

k11_998

Ex. Club Member
the rear motor probably wont fit under the scuttle panel on the front,

you could do it by removing the drivers wiper mechanism and shortening the link arm on the passengers to increase the wipers sweep area, although if you shorten this to much it could hitthe bonnet or something, this, also this will rest in the standard position not the vertical, and you might want to play about with some combinations of wiper arms and blades to get the maximum amount of sweepage (yes i think i made that word up)

when i say link arm tho i mean the metal arm physically attached to the other end of the wiper arm that the linkage between the wiper and the arm is attached to, and not the linkage, as this will not change the sweep

i hope that make sense cos i dont think i explained it very well

just a warning m8 that the single wiper conversion is illegal and you can get pulled for it. just so you know. it was in tha papers there is goin to be a crackdown on this aswell as exhaust exiting from the side of cars

k11_998

Ex. Club Member
joe boy micra said:
just a warning m8 that the single wiper conversion is illegal and you can get pulled for it. just so you know. it was in tha papers there is goin to be a crackdown on this aswell as exhaust exiting from the side of cars

not technically true, while it is illegal to have a wiper stop in the vertical position, it isnt actually illegal to only have 1 wiper, as long as it sweeps enough of the screen and stops horizontally out of the drivers view

however if it were illegal to only have 1 wiper they would have to crush all citreon ax's the moment they come out of the factory, which wouldnt be a bad thing in my opinion (sorry if anyone likes them, cos i really really dont)

also i believe that if you simply remove the second wiper, but leave the little bit that it bolts to, it becomes an mot failure, whereas if you remove it all it isnt, but i will ask one of the lads at work tomorrow just to be sure

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Why's it illegal to have an exhaust exiting from the side of the car? I know plenty of cars that have side exits.

Look at most Lotus 7 and Cobra style kit cars for example, if it wasn't road legal for side exits then these wouldn't pass SVA

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
Why's it illegal to have an exhaust exiting from the side of the car?

Health and saftey reasons people can be burned when getting in and out of the car plus if it's too long (ie sticking out from the car) you could catch people with it (chariot style! )

I think it may need an SVA (i think thats what it's called) tests.....

i know someone had a side exit on here....

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
what's wrong with having a heat shield? ;)

Same as saying it's illegal to have indicators.... If they're the wrong colour in the wrong location and blink at the wrong rate.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
They may ask you to get the wiper checked at a MOT station, see aboluyely no reason why it is illegal, also, many vans and busses etc have side exit exhausts, maybe it is just a local thing

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Side exit exhaust shouldnt be illegal. What aobut the McLaren SLR, would be gutted if you had paid all that ammount for it to be illegal.

Talking about exhausts - Wonder if this is illegal ;)

Attachments

• Zorst3.jpg
    Zorst3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,107
scottish-sr said:
Side exit exhaust shouldnt be illegal. What aobut the McLaren SLR, would be gutted if you had paid all that ammount for it to be illegal.

Talking about exhausts - Wonder if this is illegal ;)

as i said b4 only illegal if its not standard.

R

RIK

joe boy micra said:
as i said b4 only illegal if its not standard.

just because its not standard doesnt make it illegal..........

and i know your saying what you herd but it doesnt make it true

OP
OP
DAVEJUPP01

DAVEJUPP01

Ex. Club Member
hey people well if it illegal for single wiper or not i dont care till i get pulled i finally done it now. i have a single wiper now my car really starting to look modded.

kristian

One Way Mule
If you wanted you could have a dozen dildos cleaning your windscreen,

If there is sufficient 'coverage' then its fine..

people throw around the word 'illegal' on here like like they are a part of 'da lawww'

kristian

One Way Mule
With respect to side exits, You can have your exhaust exiting Infront of your FRONT whels if you wanted... Aslong as:

Emmissions
Noise
Public safety

are all within MOT requirements...

your fine..

but why would you want it comming out of the front anyway?

i think two truck one one up either side now that would be something to see. lol

OP
OP
DAVEJUPP01

DAVEJUPP01

Ex. Club Member
no actually it was very easy now i done it. it could take about 10mins to do again i actually cheated slightly and it never cost me a penny lol.

Attachments

• single wiper.JPG
    single wiper.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 2,011
R

RIK

its the standard wiper motor with the blade taken off and moved round on the spline,the second wiper is removed ...doing this is cheaper but it wont wipe the screen as good as a prpoer one

paddymarsden

Iggy Iggy oooooooooo
there is that £100,000 C2 that has exhausts exiting at the front bumper, digital LCD's as the dials and the seat mounted in the middle...that car is road legal so that is living proof that its legal to do, like kris said you have to take into those few considerations

in away tho i wouldnt fancy my exhaust gases leavin at the front, they could end up been sent threw the blowers into the kabin, thats why they had it goin to the back when they design a car, to stop gases entering the kabin and killing you

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
hughes_16v said:
in away tho i wouldnt fancy my exhaust gases leavin at the front, they could end up been sent threw the blowers into the kabin, thats why they had it goin to the back when they design a car, to stop gases entering the kabin and killing you

has nothing to do with it mate. The blowers get air from the black strip where ur wipers are (grill thing) not from the bottom of the car so why would u be breathing in exhaust fumes? i know it rises but ull be moving most of the time so ull pass the fumes while they still at exhaust level. and if ur stationary then it still wont affect you (as such lol) oh and if ur engine can get the fumes out quicker (ie exit as close to engine) then it increases performance i think because it dont have to travel to escape as far.