Sidelight replacement.

Can I change my K12 driver's side sidelight in situ or do I have to remove the headlight unit ?
I've had a look but the space doesn't seem big enough to get my hand in !
I've had a look online but every message seems a bit vague.
Can anyone out there provide a link or simply tell me how it's done ?
Thanks in advance.

Do you mean circled bulb in the picture?
If you check pictures with thought and reach under the light following cable, there is 1/4 turn bulb socket. You can change bulb without removing headlight unit ;)

Micra%20headlamp_2_zps7cpbu3bz.jpg

Micra%20park%20bulb_2_zps8s8lzr9k.jpg

If you want to make a bit more room without fully removing the headlight just take the top M6 headlight fixing bolt out and it lets you lift the back/top of the headlight a bit to get your hand in and/or see what you are doing....

Thanks for the replies.
I did eventually change the bulb but it was a comedy of errors !
Firstly, the new bulb somehow fell out of the holder into the reflector unit (even though I was sure was tight in the holder).
I then had to remove the light unit but on attempting to remove the bulb, it somehow fell through into the base of the unit where I could hear it rattling around but didn't know how to get to it !
I then had to go and buy a new bulb which I successfully fitted but cut my hand at the same time !
Next time I'll just pay £5 for Halfwords to fit it ! :)

Worst case scenario right there

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
Halfords untrained school leaver, who couldn't really care and hasn't ever changed a sidelight bulb on a Micra K12 before, what could possibly go wrong?............:eek:

Exactly @John_D, I have a friend who took his car to Halfords for them to change the bulb. It took the Halfords guy almost 1.5 hours to change it as it struggled for ages to get the old bulb out or even work out where the bulb was located in the headlight !!!!!

When I had my cars oil changed last week, the 12 year old spotty yoof doing it spotted the new bulbs on the front seat, and fitted them both without asking!

So you could say it cost me £69.99 to get them fitted, but I got a free oil change...:D

When I had my cars oil changed last week, the 12 year old spotty yoof doing it spotted the new bulbs on the front seat, and fitted them both without asking!

So you could say it cost me £69.99 to get them fitted, but I got a free oil change...:D
Sounds like a dear oil change to me, three and a bit litres of fully synthetic has to be about £20 at most, oil filter is about £3-4, so £45 labour?.......
Halfords themselves are currently doing a deal on their own brand, fully synthetic 5W-30, for £15 for 4 litres, though they are charging £7.99 for an oil filter by a make I've never heard of................(I can get a 'Crosland' filter from Carparts4less, delivered for £3.30, their dearest being one by MANN at £4.20, both Fram and Bosch filters being £3.66 and £4.02 respectively, just realised that there is currently a 14% discount code running so make that £2.84 to £3.61......)

Last edited:
Sounds like a dear oil change to me, three and a bit litres of fully synthetic has to be about £20 at most, oil filter is about £3-4, so £45 labour?.......
Halfords themselves are currently doing a deal on their own brand, fully synthetic 5W-30, for £15 for 4 litres, though they are charging £7.99 for an oil filter by a make I've never heard of................(I can get a 'Crosland' filter from Carparts4less, delivered for £3.30, their dearest being one by MANN at £4.20, both Fram and Bosch filters being £3.66 and £4.02 respectively, just realised that there is currently a 14% discount code running so make that £2.84 to £3.61......)

Oh your dead right, and what makes it even worse is I have new oil and filter at home too...

...but I recently moved to a very busy road where lying under a car would be inadvisable. And the weather is cold:eek:
And it was quietly pleasant to let someone else do it for once! Also, they agreed to let me look underneath it while it was on the hoist, even giving me an inspection light for a good look! The 12 year old child doing the work seemed to know his onions, and told me where the K12 typically corrodes and fails MOTs - sure enough when we looked, there was some corrosion visible, but I think it's treatable to prevent it becoming a problem once winter is over. Otherwise, it is excellent underneath.

I'm looking into seeing if it's possible to change the oil via dipstick suction - anyone tried it? Yes I know it provokes strong views, but my bad back is limiting my ability to grovel under sumps now!

Last edited:
Back