Shocks replacement issue

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Just pulled off the front driver shock, prob is the center nut simply rotates the shock's shaft.. i.e. cannot come off. best thought that popped to mind is to cut the shaft off, that way the metal plate that sits on top of the spring, comes off the other way. Ultimately try to vice grip the shaft and hope that the nut will come off..

Tried mole grips and set it to super tight..but it seems shaft is too round to grip to..

20150110_132757_zps3cb351f7.jpg

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
You just need a ring spanner and an allen key in the end to stop the rod from turning, or an impact gun
As you can see the impact wrench is on the floor, tried it. What I am not understanding is where would you put the ring spanner and the allen key?

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Off-set ring spanner to undo the nut, allen key in the end of the shaft in the middle of the nut.

STW2010X11.jpg
OK I think you've given me a feasible solution, the end of the shaft isn't allen type, but is half round and has two flat sides. so I should be able to use the ring spanner and a mole grip or a shifton to try undo them both with both hands.

Problem is that my compressor although small is kinda loud, and at this time wouldn't be nice for my neighbours.

thanks chiefo

ive found the best way is to use 3 or 4 sets of mole grips on the damper rod. put them in a vice and you'll get enough grip on the damper rod.

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
ive found the best way is to use 3 or 4 sets of mole grips on the damper rod. put them in a vice and you'll get enough grip on the damper rod.
thanks guys, all making sense now, seems a bit overkill but if it gets the job done, should be fine for me. my bench vice is still in its box since Im still setting up my garage. :/

yeah. the trouble with only using 1 set of moles is they dont have the staying power, or the surface area. get a load on, and it takes some pressure off the rest. get that vice out asap!!!