shock absorbers

O

ohc_turbo

hi, i need to get 4 new shock absorbers for the k10, there are two on e-bay at the moment both rear for about 35 quid, one set arein a unipart box and are sach boge and the other are quintin hazle?

i really want to get gas shocks all round, i know its bit of a nooob question but arent most shocks gas now days?

what ones do you think i should get or if you know any where else that about as cheap or cheaper please tell me

ive been seearching around and someone said on a figaro forum that they got a whole gas set for £50

cheers

Mark

Ex. Club Member
I'd personally recommend Monroe shocks, I have a set of these on my K10 and they are very good, gives a firm ride and stopped all rubbing at the rear, even with 5 people in the car,

not sure if monroes are gas shocks though, there £50 a pair from halfords

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
monre's are a good choice, ive personally alwasys used boge and found them to be very good so can recommend them also £50 for a full set of gas shocks is a bargain tho so get thoose if you can :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Ive got boge fitted on mine (in combination with spax springs) very very stiff ride!! Almost break your back everytime you go over a bump its that solid.

OP
OP
O

ohc_turbo

not saying that i can get them for 50 ive just heard, my shocks a really bad im getting piles its such a bad ride on the bum, going to go for the boge rear one on e gay, really need front though but theres not any listed

cheers lads

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
you should go to your local motor factors mate im sure they will be able to get them for cheap my rear ones cost me about £24 for my old white k10 and they were boge :)

OP
OP
O

ohc_turbo

i went down there last week and they said something like "youre looking at about 30 for the fronts and about 40 for the rears, just bought the rear boge one so i hope it improves things, should make the car quite tight again, got to get round to fitting the rear ARB and find a front one, that should sort it out

Mark

Ex. Club Member
You can actually buy 3 different types of Monroe dampers from your local Halfords store

first ones cost 33 quid each for the front, second ones which are gas come to 44 pounds each and the uprated bad boy gas shocks which i have are 50 quid each.

the rears for the uprated are 25 each so are quite a lot cheaper,

any halfords store can order these for you and the uprated gas ones make the ride very firm even with standard springs which i had for a while and the handling was better then my old lowered K10 with old dampers.

Hope this helps OHC_Turbo.

Andrew

Club Member
Arnold said:
Ive got boge fitted on mine (in combination with spax springs) very very stiff ride!! Almost break your back everytime you go over a bump its that solid.

If the ride is that stiff then you car really won't be handling very well.

OP
OP
O

ohc_turbo

Andrew said:

why is this? please explain

why are Touring cars rock solid?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Andrew said:

The handling is incredible mate, not sure what your on about!! Can really throw it round corners, roundabouts etc with no fear of it understeering or sliding across the road etc

Andrew

Club Member
Touring cars race round a flat, smooth track. Hard suspension helps here. Micras drive on bumpy, slippery, unpredictable roads. Really hard suspension can't deal with these kinds of surfaces.

OP
OP
O

ohc_turbo

i agree suspention cant be too hard and has to be match to the car but the thing were all trying to do is to keep the car flat when going rond a bend fast and trying to keep the most tyre contact on the road at the same time and obviously lower the center of gravity, if setup is right hard suspention should be much better than sloppy and more predictable at that.

ive been in drft cars with a really hard front suspention and when deacelleration from 100-40 on a bumpy road it sometimes locks up slightly over the bumps, that when the abs comes in, but still a non abs car with a good setup should be predictable and easier to correct than a stock car

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
dont want to take this thread to far off but will powerflex universal bumpstops work, i know that figaro owners use them and i just would like to know if anybody has them or heard how good or bad they are,

link to bumpstops - http://www.powerflex.co.uk/bumpstop.asp
the BS009K - Bump Stop Kit is what figaro owners use

will the bumpstops fit the rear shocks aswell?

also does any one know of any other place than halfords to get the monroe uprated gas shocks?