She killed her car

Hi to all,

I have just registered in hope that someone can help me. I do not own a micra but my mother in law has just bought one and killed it. I will try to explain as much as i can in hope someone could help.

She has just bought a Y reg Micra S. From what i can gather without seeing the car, it's pretty standard with no electric windows or central locking. The car needed a new battery so she went and bought one. Rather than wait for me to fit it she did it herself. Unfortunatly for her, she connected it the wrong way round :eek: Thinking the battery might be no good she attempted to bump start it, later realising that she had connected it the wrong way.

She then rectified the fault by turning the battery around. She gets lights on the dash with the key turned and the engine turns over but will not fire. My first thought was she has fried the ECU. Fuses have been checked and because a guy from across the road decided to interfere and break the main fuse (he didn't think to unscrew it) that has been replaced.

If it is the ecu where on the car is it located? I would like to tell her where it is so i can get the number and try to source one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Paul

she will have probaly upset the NATS (NISSAN ANTI THEFT SYSTEM). It sounds like a nats problem rather than an ecu.

members have connected their battery backwards before paul, and the ecu survived iirc
is yours the coilpack type engine ?

members have connected their battery backwards before paul, and the ecu survived iirc
is yours the coilpack type engine ?

Hi Frank,

I would love to answer that question but i have not been under the bonnet yet. I do remember they said they changed the plugs and i think they said it had four plasic caps covering the plugs? I don't know much else until i get the car.

Cheers for that Frank. Sounds very similar to our problem. I know the main fuse was replaced in the holder in front of the battery. I did think it was an immobiliser fault at first due to the battery being replaced. Thinking about it it can't be as it was flat when she went to buy it and had to be bumped to get it going. Garages have all said different - ECU, starter motor etc.

Getting quite a few people saying they don't think this would have fried the ECU. The garage think it has but i am unsure how they came to that conclusion.

If it is the ECU or something to do with the NATS. Would fitting a non NATS ECU cure it.

Sorry guys but just looking for advise on where to start looking. I am going to check all the fuses first. Is the fuel pump quite loud when priming when you turn the ignition on? I just never heard a thing when i turned the key and on my car it is quite loud.

the nats ecu pinout is different to the pre-nats paul (and coilpack different again)
the fuelpump is under the back seat (and i cant hear mine tbh)

I've never heard the fuel pump priming since I changed to a coilpack Micra. I used to hear it quite loud in my first facelift car.

There should be an ignition fuse that most likely will have blown
Look for IGN or ENGINE or something like that might be one of the big ones I've not got a k11 to check at the mo

Cheers for all the info guys. The garage returned the car to the mother in law today. They have said that the ECU has without a doubt been fried. He told her she will need an ecu, ignition barrall and all the locks. Not good.

I will have to try to find on the likes of ebay or something. She doesn't want to pay fortunes so i will be doing the fitting.

I did hear that i could replace the ecu with a non nats ecu. I take it if i did this option it would mean i didn't have to replace locks etc?

barrel and locks my arse fwn and your options are a bit more limited if it is a coilpack jobbie paul (so you need to find out first tbh)

I have been told that it is a coilpack. Still not seen it yet and know nothing about them, sorry to sound dumb but how would i know if it is a coilpack?

If it is coilpack and the ecu has gone, what options do i have?

Sorry for all the questions but it's going to be down to me to sort.

Cheers for all the info guys. The garage returned the car to the mother in law today. They have said that the ECU has without a doubt been fried. He told her she will need an ecu, ignition barrall and all the locks. Not good.

I will have to try to find on the likes of ebay or something. She doesn't want to pay fortunes so i will be doing the fitting.

I did hear that i could replace the ecu with a non nats ecu. I take it if i did this option it would mean i didn't have to replace locks etc?

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahshahahhshahaha
As if why the hell would it need new barrels and key the ecu can be coded to the transponder!
It sound to me the guy has a spare scrap k11 he can nick some bits of rather than diagnosing and repairing properly! Seriously there are things like fuses put in place to stop the ecu being fried plus the bloody wiring would burn out before the ecu!

there,s not much expertise on the coil-over-plug type engines on here i,m afraid paul, but you hav,nt got the option of fitting one of ed,s (fusion) £150 de-nats ecu,s.
the yard i use in brum should have a c/p ecu and chip and whatever transponder bits required tho

Well it's not a garage i would ever use. I think until i look and try the easy things first like the fuses, i'm going to be buying parts that i don't need.

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahshahahhshahaha
As if why the hell would it need new barrels and key the ecu can be coded to the transponder!
It sound to me the guy has a spare scrap k11 he can nick some bits of rather than diagnosing and repairing properly! Seriously there are things like fuses put in place to stop the ecu being fried plus the bloody wiring would burn out before the ecu!

What i can't understand, if the garage was trying to rip her off they would have offered to do it. They advised her to go on ebay and buy the ecu, key and locks or to take it to Nissan.

Its a garage mate, no disrespect to them (STOP RIPPIN PEOPLE OFF YOU...), but yeah, its hopefully not going to be a shopping list of problems, do as gts advises though, and definately start small (Y), look forward to your progress on tracking this issue.

Once again thank you guys. I will keep you all posted. This site is amazing, makes me want to go out and buy a micra. I'll keep you all posted. (Y)

I currently have a very thirsty Vitara jlx and my year long project car xsara vtr. Love the vtr but i'm passed the point of no return with what i have spent. Still i enjoy doing it and that's all that matters.

Here is the engine bay pic just emailed to me. Not so sure if i'll enjoy working on this one :eek:
1000861k.jpg

Ignore the date, it was taken today

Its a coil pack engine alright (Y), i dont worry its more simple then it seems (well i know my bare model is empty haha)

To your right you have battery, more fuses (well engine fuse box)
That cap to the bottom right of the image is radiator cap, you'l find it connected to an expansion tank (well hopefully)
To the left hand side (middle left) you'l see manifold cover and part of the catalytic converter,
To the left of that you have the alternator connected to the pulleys,
To the center left side (well you see it anyway haha) is your engine (its a mighty fine machine!)
Ontop of that, the black caps are the coil packs as you see, if it was standard you'd have HT connectors to the spark plugs.
Left side of the engine is oil filler cap,
Above the engine is the black box, thats the air filter box, also contains the air filter element,
The piping on the right side is just aditional piping to take air in from somewhere else, i think it also nulls some of the induction roar too ;).
But other then that, nothing out the ordinary!

there,s not much expertise on the coil-over-plug type engines on here i,m afraid paul, but you hav,nt got the option of fitting one of ed,s (fusion) £150 de-nats ecu,s.
the yard i use in brum should have a c/p ecu and chip and whatever transponder bits required tho

I'm not bad on them
Sr20det owner and constant repairer lol

Cheers for that Mrmigs08 (Y) I know my way around engines pretty well but it's a little more compact than the project i'm currently working on.

It might be worth investing in the Haynes manual for the Micra - I find it useful & they've got the coil pack engine in there too. :)

Exactly what i was waiting for. Arrived through the week. Going over today to do some basic checks e.g fuses. I'll report back any findings and hopefully you guys will be able to point me in the direction of what to check next.

Quick update. Went to look at the car. Checked the fuses under the bonnet and all were fine. I then removed the ECU after numerous under bonnet checks and standing in the freezing cold for 2 hours. I thought i would get the numbers of the ECU and try another one. Only then did it dawn on me to look at the fuses in the cabin. I found a 10 amp fuse that had blown, engine control or something. Replaced the fuse, put the ECU back in, trim back on and battery reconnected. It started and ticked over lovely. One very happy me and one very, very happy mother law.

The only problem i now have is the radio does not work but also the speedo, fuel and temp guage do not work. I have checked all the fuses and non are blown. Any ideas please?

All those lot may run off a common fuse just looking at them is not enough you need a multimeter, halfrauds do them cheap

Another small issue i have. I stated that the MIL had purchased a battery from the scrap yard. The positive tightens up fine but the negative will not close enought to tighten up. Plenty of power in the battery but it concerns me that the negative will pop off with the vibration when driving. Think i might need to buy another battery.

Just an update really guys. I changed all the fuses from the cabin and the dials and radio are now working.

It's gone from a totally fried ECU with no way of getting it running until i change the ECU to a total of 3 hours spent on the car and running sweet.

The engine management light is on but i'm not panicking about that at the moment. Main thing is it's running and the engine sounds superb. It does need an MOT but i have a few bits to do before like wipers and a couple of tyres. After that it's fingers crossed it goes through.

Back