Shape 1998 Automatic. 16k on the clock. Rear windscreen seal split

Micra (and cars generally) noob here.

I just bought a 1998 Micra Shape Automatic with on 16k on the clock. The service history is present - the first owner was an old guy who literally put 10 miles a year on it during the final years of his ownership! (2007-9). His only mileage will have been to and from the MOT centre!

I've got one general question and one specific. Note that I don't know a great deal about cars .

1) The black rubber seal that runs around the rear windscreen pops out on the lower left hand corner, and there is a 2 inch piece missing right at the top. It doesn't seem that any rain has got in though, as there doesn't seem to be any damp areas inside. I read somewhere that this seal is cosmetic? I'm guessing I should get this fixed, or perhaps use some kind of replacement rubber sealant instead?

2) Is there anything else I should watch or listen out for with this particular car? Particularly one that did 5k between 1998 and 2009, then 10k from 2009 til 2011. I hear that the automatics can cost a fair bit to fix if they go wrong.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome. It's a 1.0 actually. I'm stunned by how rust-free it is. I can't see any obvious rust at all. I'm guessing the old boy kept it in a garage.

One other thing - the accelerator pedal has about one centimetre of 'give' before the throttle engages. Is this usual on Micras?

cheers.

hi flapper :grinning: the slack can be adjusted out of the throttle cable, and the screen rubber was loose on my misses,s too (i just pulled it off and binned it lol)

i've removed the rear rubber strip from mine too and injected PU sealant into the groove.

with that much throttle play you might not be able to reach WOT. you can adjust the throttle cable length to remove slack by the double nut fixing on the outer cable at the throttle body (like adjusting the outer cables on a bicycle brake). i'll make a diagram in abit

Thanks for the welcome. It's a 1.0 actually. I'm stunned by how rust-free it is. I can't see any obvious rust at all. I'm guessing the old boy kept it in a garage.

as long as old boy aint leaking yet i got to say "old boy ftw" :grinning:

ok to adjust the throttle cable first unclip the outer cable from the clip on the engine cover (#1) so that it can be moved back/forth

undo nut #2 right back & #3 to the tip end so the outer cable can be moved back n forth

gentle pull the outer cable back till the inner cable is taught but just before it moves the throttle butterfly wheel

screw nut #2 forwards till it meets the support bracket

then screw & tighten nut #3 against the bracket

secure the cable onto the clip #1

dsc04533r.jpg

Back