• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

SGR K11 - "Micra Zowski"

2002 Tempest 1.0 16v
Power Steering - an upgrade on last time
Mechanically sound but pretty tatty which as it is for autotests isn't an issue

Plans are same as before, strip out the unnecessary weight and do as many events as we can.
I'll put more mechanical prep in this time to prevent another engine disaster.
First event on Sunday so once that is out the way, will start to tidy it up looks wise

Pinched the new wiper blades off my old silver one. Look after the pennies and all that

New header tank required as what looked like a tiny pin hole crumbled as soon as I touched it. Tape will have to do for tomorrow

Started on the weight reduction. Guessing it's had a broken window at some point

Also picked up some "road" wheels to get to and from events

Fitment Yo

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Pinched the new wiper blades off my old silver one. Look after the pennies and all that

New header tank required as what looked like a tiny pin hole crumbled as soon as I touched it. Tape will have to do for tomorrow

Started on the weight reduction. Guessing it's had a broken window at some point

Also picked up some "road" wheels to get to and from events

Fitment Yo

No rush on those header tanks, but there's brand new ones on ebay. Good choice of wheels too

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

Good choice of wheels too

Yep, although turns out I was misinformed about them fitting straight on. E30 centre bore is slightly smaller than micra so they need grinding out a bit.

Did our first event today and had a blast. Car ran faultlessly. Results and maybe a few piccies on the way

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Yep, although turns out I was misinformed about them fitting straight on. E30 centre bore is slightly smaller than micra so they need grinding out a bit.

Did our first event today and had a blast. Car ran faultlessly. Results and maybe a few piccies on the way
Yeah 56/57 I think. Not a lot but enough to stop it. What tyres do you have on them and any chance you'd be able to get a more straight on picture?

57.1mm but have been advised that some small spacers to clear the spigot and save me machining them out.
Tyre size I think is standard BMW 185/65/14 which is a bit too big as I do get scraping on the back over the bumps. Think I may try and go down to 165 and a lower profile but will depend on whatever part worns I can find. Not buying new for how little the car gets used haha

As for the results, out of 17, I came 6th overall and 2nd in class and the Mrs was 13th overall and 4th in class (proper made up she didnt come last)
Highlight was beating former rally champions in a civic and BMW in my £250 K11

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
57.1mm but have been advised that some small spacers to clear the spigot and save me machining them out.
Tyre size I think is standard BMW 185/65/14 which is a bit too big as I do get scraping on the back over the bumps. Think I may try and go down to 165 and a lower profile but will depend on whatever part worns I can find. Not buying new for how little the car gets used haha

As for the results, out of 17, I came 6th overall and 2nd in class and the Mrs was 13th overall and 4th in class (proper made up she didnt come last)
Highlight was beating former rally champions in a civic and BMW in my £250 K11
I'm going for 175/60 on mine, but I like a good chunky fitting tyre. Flap wheel would do a perfect job to make the centre bigger. Well done on those results too

Have been told by a few fellow e30wheelsonak11er's that I should be fine with just a 3mm spacer as the wheels have a tapered centre to save grinding them out so for the sake of a fiver or so, will give that a go first.

We've called him Micra Zowski :p

Bit of shopping tonight
upload_2018-3-9_21-29-57.png

Next event for the Mrs is next Sunday so guess what I'm doing on Friday and Saturday

Prep for tomorrow

5mm spacers sorted my wheel issue out a treat

Header tank hasn't arrived yet and the air filter looked fairly new so I'm chancing putting off the service until after tomorrow. Just gave the underneath a good hose down

Tomorrows autotest is all about the mrs practicing her handbrake turns. If she flops, it may well be Hydro time

Autotest went well. Some Handy B's went down.

Might paint it over the easter weekend if the weather is good. Ordered some ditch finders to replace the cracked and oversized tyres on the bottle caps.

Resisting urges to lower it as while it'd look good, it'd basically be rubbish for what it was intended for

Whilst moving the car today so the guys can get in to fit a new garage door, noticed that the rubber on the back windscreen has popped out slightly. This along with the broken glass now pretty much proves it has had a new screen at some point, probably fitted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Might be able to get the bootlid off the blue one I sold for spares with the previous car to save faffing about getting the window sealed properly

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Whilst moving the car today so the guys can get in to fit a new garage door, noticed that the rubber on the back windscreen has popped out slightly. This along with the broken glass now pretty much proves it has had a new screen at some point, probably fitted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Might be able to get the bootlid off the blue one I sold for spares with the previous car to save faffing about getting the window sealed properly

That plastic strip doesn't do anything it's just a cover strip, the rear windows are bonded in same as front windows. All of those strips pull apart in the middle and shrink, if it really bothers you then sealant in the middle to cover the gap

That plastic strip doesn't do anything it's just a cover strip, the rear windows are bonded in same as front windows. All of those strips pull apart in the middle and shrink, if it really bothers you then sealant in the middle to cover the gap

From factory they are bonded in yes, but as I found smashed windscreen glass when stripping the interior and the seals don't seem to be on properly, I suspect someone has had a go at putting in a 2nd hand screen and probably not done the best job. But I may just get busy with the sealant as the sunroof needs doing anyway so I can ditch the tape around it.

Just ordered the paint for the respray. I think it could be a K11 first

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
From factory they are bonded in yes, but as I found smashed windscreen glass when stripping the interior and the seals don't seem to be on properly, I suspect someone has had a go at putting in a 2nd hand screen and probably not done the best job. But I may just get busy with the sealant as the sunroof needs doing anyway so I can ditch the tape around it.

Just ordered the paint for the respray. I think it could be a K11 first

Actually any chance it could be be side window glass? All 3 of my window rubbers have done it, but I can't get pictures of them because of the spoilers in the way

Was using it daily for a week while getting the arches welded on my van and quite enjoyed it, apart from being slow.
Gravel autotest today was fun. Despite 3 of us giving it a good spanking all morning, it lives to fight another day, although in need of a good clean inside and out :LOL:

Definitely adding suspension on the To Do list over the winter

After being sat for a few months, the battery needed a good bit of work to coax it back to life. Was on daily duties whilst waiting for the mrs new tyres to arrive for her car and didn't miss a beat.
Final autotest tomorrow and if it survives that, my first track day in a couple of weeks time.

Weighing up suspension options. Still seem unable to find a definitive answer on how easy corsa b coilovers are to fit and whether you can only use the fronts or the rears fit too.

My ropey respray will need work as some parts have started flaking off from gravel rash :LOL:

Battery well and truly goosed so I got a fresh one from Eurocarparts on black friday. Gone to fit it today and it's too bloody big!!!! As I needed one today, I had to suck up the £81 from my local motor factors :censored::censored:
My first track day tomorrow that I won in a competition so gave the car a part service as I really cba doing an oil change in the pissing rain.

Air Filter and plugs changed and oil level checked. I'll do oil and filters next time it's dry. Got a new header tank that was supposed to be here today but hasn't arrived to fit too.

Let's see how tomorrow goes