Service questions

Hi all,

Decided to give the car a bit of a service - not done it myself before but I'm feeling brave.

Couple of things, is this going to be OK to get the plugs out?
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/sn/12242

And does it matter what brand of oil and fuel filter I pick up? Or can anybody suggest a decent make

Got NGK plugs ready to go in

Also - what oil should I be looking to buy? Know nothing about it, is any brand particularly better than another?

We've only just got the car and it doesn't look like it's been serviced for about 14 months / 10000 miles. Are there any dodgy / difficult bits I should be prepared for?

Oh and another thing - when changing the oil apparently it's easier to get it jacked up and on axle stands - is this really necessary? If I were to pick some up, do I need the sill adapter or will the stands be OK by themselves?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, don't want to pick up the wrong thing and waste any time/money

Thanks very much for your time
Jim

jim

your plugs should be 16mm across the flats and the socket needs to be about 200mm deep
the brands depend on the depth of your pockets really, i use cheapo stuff (but i,m tight :grinning: )
and you dont need to jack it up, i use an old washing up bowl:wasntme:

OK great thanks for those comments, much appreciated :)

I guess, Frank, that means that the 10mm/300mm spark plug wrench will be OK? If I'm not being too daft, 16mm across the flats = 10mm plug I think

My pockets aren't too deep as I'm just finishing uni - I'll go with what I can afford then give it another treat once I'm working :p

I've got no tools whatsoever, and so far on the shopping list is that plug wrench and an oil drain plug wrench. Anything else I will need? How about if I wanted to give the throttle body a clean?

Thanks again guys - appreciate it

Jim

jim

i make the plug threads 14mm, i think superbikes etc use 10mm ones
i think you need a 14mm ring spanner for the sump plug, and you can get an aerosol carb cleaner, but i would be wary of spraying anything on the t/b hotwire myself

Thanks for this guys - will pick up the stuff today

For catching the oil you say a washing up bowl... where can I take it once it's out? :)

Oh also - in haynes it recommends getting a bit of 5/16 inch hose so you can start the plugs back in by hand, assume this is good advice?

Cheers
Jim

Back