Service help please

Well it has been a while since I last posted!

I have a year 2000 micra 1.0 that is due a service.

Three years ago, I changed the sparks, oil filter, engine oil, air filter by myself but that was all that was checked/changed.
A year ago the car was serviced by a small indy and I paid around £140 (iirc of course), as they checked the car over as well as servicing it.

I have owned the car since Sept 2005 and I have never changed any engine coolants, P/S fluids, belts etc. The Haynes manual says to, but then again the Haynes manual says change the engine oil every 4500 miles (insert huge lol here).

Aside from the small service I did myself, I do weekly checks on the car and have fitted 1 or two things such as a new headlight.

I am an undergraduate manufacturing engineer and despite doing all the theory of machines, I have not really delved into car repairs as my car simply hasn't broken.

I have ramps, axel stands and basic tools such as rachets. If I do work myself then I would do it on my week off my placement at the very end of May.

Do I....
a) Do the full service myself, including belts, brake fluids etc
b) Get a garage to do a full service for me, including belts, brake fluids etc
c) Do the basic service myself but then get a garage to do the extras such as brake/steering/coolant fluids, belts and fuel filter.
d) Do a basic service myself and ignore changing belts etc as the car has only done a tiny 38,000 miles

The car is in perfect mechanical working order and is not modified.
Thanks in advance:grinning:

Perhaps change the brake fluid too. It should be changed every 2 years as it absorbs water (which lowers the boiling point).

I know, I know loads of people will come forward to tell you its 'a waste of time, mines fine after 20 years etc.'

But brake fluid is pretty cheap and doesn't take too long to change providing you take your time to free everything off.

You should notice a better brake pedal and you will have peace of mind!

Definatley D if its only done 38k! as Getawaycar has said no harm in changing brake fluid as long as its done properly etc.
Good luck

Is there anything else I should change?

I have listed the following to be done:
Engine oil in oil filter and sump ring
Sparks
Air filter

Can a novice do the brake fluid? I now intend to visually check the belts for signs of cracking or fraying.
Thanks again for the help so far.

personally id say, depends what the belts look like...if they are cracking and getting brittle etc last thing you want is the belt going and getting you stranded, and it wont be on your drive ;)

Id also change them myself...cos they are dead easy. Everything else depends how long your keeping the car :)

Thanks for the info.
Anything else I should take a note of? Any extra pointers?

I plan to do the work at the end of May, as this is my first holiday from work since xmas!

Back