Servicable parts on an ST Discussion

Baz

Ex. Club Member
What parts are prone to going?
Like Engine wise we all know the Bypass control valve

What about suspension parts,wheel bearing ,ball joints,bushings etc ,etc, etc
I've had two st's and the passanger side CV joint was bad in both,this is obviously a weak point?

Electrical system aint great in them either any way to improve this?Voltage stabilizer or a grounding kit(Or are they Gimic mods)

Also I have a set of KYB SR Special Dampers(NOT ADJUSTABLE DAMPENING JUST SLIGHTLY STIFFER DAMPED) I bought from Japan and a set of -35mm springs?Would this setup work well? The Nismo suspension is far to harsh for road use and the car gets on my nerves quite easlily if I'm on a bad road.Also Track use? Too Soft or will I have to keep changing back to the nismo's everytime its out on track. . .?

frank

Club Member
barry, the n/s c/v is probably working harder because of the shorter shaft and rougher road surface (mine,s nackered too :doh:)
and how about fitting the softer springs/shocks on the rear suspension only ?

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
barry, the n/s c/v is probably working harder because of the shorter shaft and rougher road surface (mine,s nackered too :doh:)
and how about fitting the softer springs/shocks on the rear suspension only ?

That makes sense bout the cv but what about the rear suspension?Why do you reckon that?

frank

Club Member
That makes sense bout the cv but what about the rear suspension?Why do you reckon that?

the rear suspension is overengineered, to account for passengers and luggage.
so if your driving the car alone, i would think it would handle just as well with a softer rear, and you would suffer less jarring through the seat on rough roads :)

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
i think my suspension setup is ideal for every day driving...
as well as taking care of the rattles (makes it less annoying) it handles most roads just fine (and aussie roads are shyte) i also noticed new rack ends has made it more comfortable to drive as there is less jarring through the steering wheel. I drive the same roads most days to work which is pretty much what the car gets used for, 20 speed humps easy, a ton of roundabouts and rough roads and now i've sorted the suspension it handles really well. Its got K11 KYB Excel shocks in the front with kingspring low coils, and stock (but newish) Starlet shocks in the rear with the ST springs...

I can't really see the point of going stiffer unless you're tracking it cause you either run out of grip, speed or power before you outclass the suspension, this is all relatively low speed stuff i'm talking about anyway... went on a cruise with some brand new Suzuki Swift sports, VW polo GTI's and other things, the ST could keep up with everything in a straight line, but 20 year newer suspension totally outclassed it in the long fast bends on the country backroads we were on

to be honest, for those roads, i'd rather buy a car thats built for it..

i want my ST to get me from A to B quickly and comfortably, use stuff all fuel, turn some heads and make funny noises.. all of which it does brilliantly..

scuse the rant :D

OP
OP
Baz

Baz

Ex. Club Member
the rear suspension is overengineered, to account for passengers and luggage. so if your driving the car alone, i would think it would handle just as well with a softer rear, and you would suffer less jarring through the seat on rough roads :)

Thats true mine is like it has no suspension to be honest. . .I'm just worried that it'll be to soft for track use,because it handles excellent on track even a few of the Honda lads were saying it as they dominate out there handling wise.

i think my suspension setup is ideal for every day driving...
as well as taking care of the rattles (makes it less annoying) it handles most roads just fine (and aussie roads are shyte) i also noticed new rack ends has made it more comfortable to drive as there is less jarring through the steering wheel. I drive the same roads most days to work which is pretty much what the car gets used for, 20 speed humps easy, a ton of roundabouts and rough roads and now i've sorted the suspension it handles really well. Its got K11 KYB Excel shocks in the front with kingspring low coils, and stock (but newish) Starlet shocks in the rear with the ST springs...

I can't really see the point of going stiffer unless you're tracking it cause you either run out of grip, speed or power before you outclass the suspension, this is all relatively low speed stuff i'm talking about anyway... went on a cruise with some brand new Suzuki Swift sports, VW polo GTI's and other things, the ST could keep up with everything in a straight line, but 20 year newer suspension totally outclassed it in the long fast bends on the country backroads we were on

to be honest, for those roads, i'd rather buy a car thats built for it..

i want my ST to get me from A to B quickly and comfortably, use stuff all fuel, turn some heads and make funny noises.. all of which it does brilliantly..

scuse the rant :D

The St standard shocks are quite noticably stiff than ordinary k10 shocks and these KYB SR's will be stiffer again but the springs I plan to use are relatively soft(Weitec -35mm) If they don't work out I'll get spax one's from Demon Tweeks. . .I would like to have the comfort back as I can't even put my head back in the recaro's as the bastidn st bobs up and down constantly!

I got rid of most of the rattles just have to spray silcone spray on the rubber seals in the boot and door jambs

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Never broken drive shafts - go figure!! Electrical systems seem fine too. Engine mounts are soft and so are gearboxes but rest seems mostly ok from my 150K miles of ST ownership!

Snikty

Site Supporter
So far mine has needed suspension, rear brakes and an engine mount.

I had a couple of electrical probs but that was mainly due to things like airhorns and turbo timer being connected and disconnected for compliance...fair enough that they remove the air horns as an illegal mod...but seriously, you'd think they'd reconnect your original horn again...wouldn't you?? Well they didn't o_O

In their great wisdom they disconnected my reverse lights and fog lights in the process....and these are the people that told me my car was now compliant...with no horn...or reverse lights...

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
have you had the door trims off mate?

any idea if the jap ones come with the bars welded into the doors? i can't figure out if mines factory or not