Serious engine trouble + video of fault

ok today the car has been goin ok thought jus tonight it has been losing power etc there was a thread some1 else had postin with same prob tho no answer was given.

ok the engine idles fine jus wen i need to go it loses power n dies on me so i drop clutch it revs up normal no prob engage clutch again it jus dies, so it is only when car is in gear this happens

any help as wat it may be? also is the 1.0 n 1.3 throtle bodies the same as i can prob get 1 from my uncle if needed tho it will be from a 1.0?

thanks any help even if not related too much can i have as much info on this as poss

thanks pepper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSFW10y6jg

OP
OP
K11SS
the car started this monrn n ran a while til it was hot again so i dont jknow maybe only wen its hot it does it ?

stephen

danmicra

Ex. Club Member
i just back from the garage an they said it was 1 of the plugs miss firing or the distributor head, so putin new plugs in the nite after tea an see if that works.

hopes this helps
dan

OP
OP
K11SS
jus changed throttle bodies over there n seems to run ok but still to give it a roasting so lets see if it can keep up with me :D :D

pepper

OP
OP
K11SS
ok it didn work its screwed now again it goes oktil a point, if i drive like an old man its ok hto if i put more than 30% full throttle it jus starts choking n loses all power i changed the throttle body n it still does the same ? :S

thanks stephen

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
using a pic that alienfish posted i circled it for u stephen!

hope this helps

28-dizzy.JPG

Daz :alien:

OP
OP
K11SS
thank you darryl, ill lok into gettin 1 asap, are they easy to get off and refit?

i am training as an electrician so car stuff im sorta lost with-lol

thanks for all the help :D

OP
OP
K11SS
ok so i checked the car over n had it checked by an RAC mechanic that checked it all n said it was either somit really strange or the dizzy so i changed the dizzy n it went ok for a few days now the problem is bk so im lost on wat to do :(

how much will it be in nissan to fix, more than car is worth, im losing interest in micras now so i dont mind if he says scrap it jus dont wana lose the money for it !

any help is greatly appreciated :(

OP
OP
K11SS
i will change them when i get the correct tool for the job but i dont see it helping too much as when i changed the dizzy over it was all fine n i could rev it no bother now its slowly coming back it seems a more mild form and the leads and plugs have not been touched. i do hope it does help though.

wat are the best plugs to get or is it just plugs are plugs n were will i get new leads?

stephen

ok not related, this is something i found to be weird from the 1.0 to the 1.3 distributor, looking at it from the passenger side to see the plugs connections on it i noticed that goin clock wise from top plug plugs 1 n 3 were in opposite positions between the 1.0 n 1.3 just something id like checked is if the plugs are the same connect between dizzy n plugs. if this is a bad description i will post a pic of wat i mean tonight when im home thanks.

stephen

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
do one thing at a time first, change the spark plugs and then see how it goes if its still the same then change the ht leads, doing 2 at one time wont tell you what fixed it

if the car is running and not misfiring dont go messing around with the order the leads are in or the engine will misfire or not start

if it was me i would get nissan plugs which are ngk plugs and i would get the leads from nissan as the quality is much better and will last longer than cheap ones,

if you want i could get a price for the leads where i work with my discount etc and then post them to you if you want as i think the leads are around £40 retail, i will need a vin number tho to make 100% sure they are the right ones for your car

** please note if you have a coilpack engine they use different spark plugs to the dissy engine **

OP
OP
K11SS
bobsp16 said:
lol were's the distributor,,,,is it under the bonnet

i work as an electrician n i was only askin to verify wat i thought ok smart alec, so ill put u in a CNC machine control panel n see if u dont get electricuted. no stupid questions jus stupid answers!

thanks alot gfordy id really appreciate that u got paypal if i do want them ?

it is a 1993 k-reg super s so it is not coil packs :D

stephen

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
K11SS said:
thanks alot gfordy id really appreciate that u got paypal if i do want them ?

it is a 1993 k-reg super s so it is not coil packs :D

stephen

k reg?
yes i do have paypal, i will get you a price tomorrow i dont know how much postage will be tho

OP
OP
K11SS
yes mine is a k-reg though i dont knows its real year as it had a private plate on from new as a j-plate but it is a cg13de non coil pack engine so these leads will fit ok :D thanks alot again fordy.

stephen

Titch

Micra K11ng
If you get the stuff needed for the job i'll come through and help you fit them mate - I should still have the leads from my cg10, but would need to check :)

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i found out the price today:

normal retail price is 36.97 including vat
price to me is 26.42 including vat
then say £3 postage 1st class and if its less i will send the rest back to you

but i would change the spark plugs first before you buy leads

OP
OP
K11SS
sorry its ben so long on an update tho i have so far changed TB, Distributor, Leads, Plugs and ECU. also had it checked by rac to check my infectors were firing correctly plus the other sensors and i still have my problem wat is left to do ? :(

stephen

I saw something about the fuses being discussed in another thread.

Mabye check all the fuses in your fuse box in the dash? Make sure they're not corroded?

R

runaway-robot

Yea it was the Injector fuse 10A, ive this problem many times on my headlights :) gd place to look :)

L

landspeed

Could this also be an air leak somewhere, or problems with the airflow
meter (if the above things don't work)?

OP
OP
K11SS
ok ill check my fuses asap but 1 quick question is .... does anyone know were the relay is that is used to limit the rpm?

pepper

OP
OP
K11SS
i was told it was both fuel cut off and relay... the reason its hard to raise limiter.

it was micra pete whos said it in 1 of his posts so i take it as being true-lol

anyone know any better?

pepper

If you haven't sorted your problem out yet, you might want to look at the fuel delivery system. Car starting and running okay until you put it under load would seem to indicate fuel starvation. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed lately do that next. The fuel pump could also be on the way out.
Or, if you refueled just before all your troubles began, you might have taken on a little trash or even water along with the petrol.

S

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    697.9 KB · Views: 200
OP
OP
K11SS
Vuguve said:
To early.

sorry wat would this be for ?

thanks for the info .....were is this situated or will i see it if i look for it in the engine bay?

also was speaking to someone n said it could be the cat clogged ... is this possible?

also is there a way to test the fuel pump?

stephen

Okay, the fuel filter is the silver canister in the middle of the photo. To change it you need to depressurize the fuel system. I'm assuming you don't have a Haynes manual so, from the manual, do it this way: locate the 15amp (blue) fuel pump fuse in the fusebox to the right of the steering column.

Remove the fuse.

Start the engine and let it run until it stalls.

Try to start the engine a couple more times. It should refuse to start.

Put the fuse back in but "don't" switch on the ignition yet.

Remove the clips/clamps and the hoses from the filter. Top one first. You should then be able to bend the filter to one side to get at the bottom clamp.
If you've got ABS on your Super it's a bit cramped.

Put your new filter in and start the car - unless you intend to take the fuel pump out to clean the strainer. If so, you must do this while the system is depressurized

The fuel pump is under the under the rear seat cushion. I've not had to work on my pump yet but can give you chapter and verse from the manual if you want. You'll need to remove the battery negative lead if you go after the pump.

Can't stress enough how careful you should be with raw fuel and electricity, but you probably already know that.

And, finally, the problem with all of the above is if (if) there's crud or water in the tank, and the pump picks it up, you could be right back where you started: stalling under load.

The real mechanics that are reading this might want to add a word or two.

S

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
OP
OP
K11SS
no sorry i didnt sort it, been on holiday n buying a new car etc so it got put bk, however i dont think there is anything to fix, i think it will cost more to fix than the car is worth lol

stephen

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
try swaping the park/neutral switch on the gearbox kinda a randomish guess but ive had park/neutral switchs cause a lack of power on cars before

so it could be that

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Fordy said:
try swaping the park/neutral switch on the gearbox kinda a randomish guess but ive had park/neutral switchs cause a lack of power on cars before

so it could be that

Aint that only on Autoboxes mate?

My mates skyline limited at 4k, in the end his spark plugs were at the wrong gap and it was spiking the computer!
You tried setting the plugs to the right gap stephen?

Daz

D

Dan_K11

hey mate, i had the same problem with mine. i changed the spark plugs and that worked for me. definately change the plugs first before doing anything else, and go on from there.