Seats not tiliting!

Nans_Micra

Ex. Club Member
Hi, I just got my first Nissan Micra from my great grandmother, but the two front seats won't tilt forwards to allow passengers to the back!? I had a look at the seat tilting mechanism, through the back of the seats, and a small cable seems to have come loose. I can see where this cable needs to go, but I just can't get it in! It's in a really awkward place and I can barely see what's going on. Anybody know what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:(

OP
OP
Nans_Micra

Nans_Micra

Ex. Club Member
Oh maaan! I bought the Haynes bible today hoping there would be something, zilch. At least it'll tell me how to remove the seats!

The cables can be refitted with the seats in place,you need to release the cable mount clips and then rehook, sometimes the catch jams as well so lube it and jiggle the seat back at the same time as tilting the seat back forward to relieve the pressure.
Theres a modified cable with an extra bit on the end to stop it pulling out also available

OP
OP
Nans_Micra

Nans_Micra

Ex. Club Member
Hi, the driver seat of my just bought used Micra cannot tilted as well. Please let me know if the Haynes give any hints!
Nothing about it in the Haynes book I'm afraid.

The cables can be refitted with the seats in place,you need to release the cable mount clips and then rehook, sometimes the catch jams as well so lube it and jiggle the seat back at the same time as tilting the seat back forward to relieve the pressure.
Theres a modified cable with an extra bit on the end to stop it pulling out also available
Bampot, I'll give that a go in the morning when it's light outside(Y)

I fixed mine this morning. As Bampot said, there is a hook at the end of the steel wire and what you need is to put that hook into a small ring of the plastic handle. Afterward, use the plastic cable mount clip to hold the steel wire.

it's not easy as the space is tight and there is no way to look into the mechanism.

OP
OP
Nans_Micra

Nans_Micra

Ex. Club Member
I had another go, and I found out that the small piece of blue plastic on the end of the black cable casing had snapped on both chairs:doh: (No idea how, the previous owner never used the rear seats because she was a 93 year old who drove on her own!?:suspect:). I'm thinking of going to the scrapyard at the weekend to find a replacement since I doubt that glue or tape would last very long. Anyway, I might find some other things while I'm there.

Hi everyone, it's a long time since the last post on this, but I just wanted to share some info- because after 10 years I have fixed one of my tilting seats (I've joined specifically to share this because I'd love someone else to get the benefit of having their rear seats back).
My car is an 03 reg. The drivers seat tilt mechanism broke a decade ago and the passenger seat went last year.
I've had the covers up and found I have two different problems- the good news on the driver's seat first . . .

Having fixed the problem I can now see the answers above are saying very much the same thing, but hopefully anyone who like is finding it hard to visualise the problem will get something out of this.

The side of the seat that is nearest the window has a fastener that looks much like an allen key (you'd never guess I'm not a mechanic). This was out of its socket, hence why the lever on that side could easily be flicked up and down with a little finger! It's not possible to see the hole it should fit into, you have to feel for it with your fingers. If you look closely here there is also a small plastic clip that goes around the 'allen key'- a sort of pincer shape, this should attach around the 'key' and it also was loose. You have to do it blind of course but after a bit of wiggling around the key part will fit into its correct hole, then keep the seat very still and you can manoeuvre the pincer clip under and round- so that it grips round the 'key' and holds it firmly in place. I did this an hour ago and I've moved it up and down A LOT and it works great!

The other side unfortunately has a different problem- everything is in place and all the wires are connected, but it is only when I push the lever (just by handbrake) manually that the seat will tilt forward. If I have any success with this I'll be sure to let you know.

Fingers crossed my first problem is the same for you too and you should be able to solve it as above!

Last edited: