Seatbelt switch on osf (Drivers seat)

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my 2009 3dr diesel K12 for seven years now, and have had a few of the standard failures:

1. EGR jams open after car sat over christmas. I have had to replace it every 3 years so far.
2. Boot decided to try to open when driving. That was the usual tailgate switch failure. I replaced it with a £2 switch off Ebay. Sorted.
3. Glow plugs failing, then the controller failed. Nissan didn't have a clue about the controller, but the local Renault garage identified it and got one for me. Glow plugs sorted.
4. Turbo boost solenoid failed. Nissan stated the old £50 part was obsolete, and tried to sell me their £250 replacement. No thanks. I was only £50 sure that I had diagnosed it correctly. Ebay Poland got me the original part for £40. Boost restored.

But now I have the seatbelt warning intermittently sounding and flashing while driving. I know it's the switch in the buckle on the drivers seat, as I can carefully manipulate the buckle and it will stop for a while. My first thought was to get one from a scrapper, but then I don't know how long the replacement switch will last. I don't think there will be a £2 Ebay switch fix for this one, but thought I would ask you guys. Any ideas on a nice cheap fix ?

Also - is it necessary to remove the drivers seat to get at the fixing bolt ? If so, is it just a couple of bolts at the front and back of the seat ?

Here's to another 100k of 70mpg driving !

You could wire it so that the switch is always closed?

It wouldn't function to let you know that the belt is unlatched any more but that wouldn't stop you wearing one and pulling on it to make sure it's secure, in a little car especially I don't drive more than 10 feet without it on

This GOV web site states:

2.6 Seatbelts
The vehicle will be inspected to check that:
  • the mandatory seatbelts are in place
  • they are suitable for the vehicle
  • they are in a good condition
  • they work properly
  • they are attached securely
The malfunction indicator lamps (MILs) or dashboard warning lights will be checked for the:
  • air bags
  • seatbelt pretensioners (which remove the slack from a seatbelt in the event of a collision)
  • seatbelt load limiters (which release a small amount of belt when it’s too tight)
So the operation of this switch doesn't appear to affect the MOT. The question may be if pretensioners or load limiters are part of this circuit. Looking at circuit diagram DI-48 & DI-51, I believe they are not. I previously thought fastening the belt closed the switch to earth the circuit, but these diagrams show it opening upon fastening. I will undo the white connector under the drivers seat and see if that is correct.

Back